Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Thank you for this.  I have no idea if either of these guys has any potential, but I am still trusting Elias until he gives me a reason not to.  I have to believe he saw some value in these guys and it wasnt just dumping Cashner for no reason.  Not sure if either will amount to anything, but rather a high risk/high reward young guy then a low ceiling older prospect.

Initial impression is that I like the trade.  I am putting my trust in Elias/Sig/Kolby until they give me reason to feel otherwise.

Ok, I just watched his interview and his reaction to being traded. I enjoyed watching him this year. That CH has made him more effective.

But man, is he gone yet? When asked about going to the Red Sox he gave the usual, “There’s so much history,” pablum and then named David Ortiz as one of his favorite Red Sox players. 

Get the hell out of Baltimore, Cashner.

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

So this is just my open question, if you don’t know anything about the players coming back, how do you judge the return? I can’t judge the return. 

Coming from someone who likes the return...

Just last year these guys had a dollar value put on their potential as prospects. So there is a pretty solid reference point for their value.

Cashner is an extremely mediocre pitcher having a good year (Brocail deserve any credit?) and most likely going to regress to the mean.  He was going to net you an extremely mediocre return. I see nothing wrong with the trade.  The money was most likely the key.  Wonder if Elias get carte blanche to reinvest that into the organization or if that money is refunded to the Angelos’’? 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks valued the stability that Cashner provided over a light return.

That would include me.   But whether this is a light return is hard to say, since there’s not a lot of track record to go on with these guys.     Hopefully one or both pan out.   

7 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Coming from someone who likes the return...

Just last year these guys had a dollar value put on their potential as prospects. So there is a pretty solid reference point for their value.

Keoni Cavaco was a potential day 3 125k prospect last summer, he signed for 4.05M a few weeks ago. 

These guys have played in the Tricky league, dominican instructs, and 120+ DSL PA and are at least a year older than when those deals were agreed to (probably longer). We don’t know what kind of bonus these guys would command now.

3 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I like this deal more than any of the deals we made a year ago. 

I still find it hard to believe how much TB got for a guy who was done like Archer. They got two guys who are each, individually, far superior to the entirety of the haul we brought back. I have Ray envy. Pitt... what a disaster.

Just think of what the Rays could do if they had even a little bit of revenue to spend. They get the most out of the least in all of MLB. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That would include me.   But whether this is a light return is hard to say, since there’s not a lot of track record to go on with these guys.     Hopefully one or both pan out.   

4 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Isn’t that nearly the definition of a light return? Appropriately light, but indisputably light.

No.    Their lack of a track record makes it hard for a fan like me to judge the return.    Elias and Perez are a different story.  I’d rather have two 17-year olds that they think are worth a shot, than some guys who have a track record but who aren’t that good.     

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Keoni Cavaco was a potential day 3 125k prospect last summer, he signed for 4.05M a few weeks ago. 

These guys have played in the Tricky league, dominican instructs, and 120+ DSL PA and are at least a year older than when those deals were agreed to (probably longer). We don’t know what kind of bonus these guys would command now.

While there’s a lot we don’t know, we still know a few things.  Like how many levels stand between where they are and the Baltimore Orioles.  It sure feels like a low offer from where I’m standing.  If Elias thinks that’s the best he can do, that’s fine but I’m not happy with it.  I would have preferred some guys that were maybe a year older and sniffing at Aberdeen.  I would be angrier but him being here to help us win 52 games instead of 50 doesn’t seem to be a great use of resources.

43 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

The fact that the most Boston could get for them was Cashner, and neither has proven worthy of a hefty signing bonuses, nor that they can dominate any level, makes the haul a light one. 

Elias & Perez liking them, evidently, in part, because they were conceived below the equator, doesn’t change that. Based on what we have been told, we could have gotten better players, but we elected to take lesser players because of where these gentlemen were born. 

Light return & incompressible logic supporting a portion of why these particular humans were targeted.

And we have millions of unused international dollars this year that will never be used and millions unused last year.  If we wanted guys like this we could have signed them.   Elias could have traded Cashner for 25 year olds in the GCL and people on here wouldn't criticize him. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just think of what the Rays could do if they had even a little bit of revenue to spend. They get the most out of the least in all of MLB. 

Wish we could kick the Orioles and out and move them up to Camden Yards.  The Orioles could play in Ottowa. 

Only the OH....They got two lotto ticket/middle draft pick kids for someone that wasnt going to be with the team next year.  He wasnt going to bring back a top 100 prospect and they dumped the rest of the salary.  Trading him was a win and at least they traded him for something other than a package of Felix Pie and Lew Ford(I heard he is playing in the California Penal league after clubbing baby seals while urinating on graves during the funeral processions).  

If the Os got back a couple AAAA would you guys be happier?  At least one of these two may surprise us rather than knowing they got back junk right off the bat.

10 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Only the OH....They got two lotto ticket/middle draft pick kids for someone that wasnt going to be with the team next year.  He wasnt going to bring back a top 100 prospect and they dumped the rest of the salary.  Trading him was a win and at least they traded him for something other than a package of Felix Pie and Lew Ford(I heard he is playing in the California Penal league after clubbing baby seals while urinating on graves during the funeral processions).  

If the Os got back a couple AAAA would you guys be happier?  At least one of these two may surprise us rather than knowing they got back junk right off the bat.

They didn't get rid of his salary. They ended up paying half of it plus his signing bonuses due in coming years.  Also if you can't find anyone better than Felix Pie in return you just keep him.  The trade deadline isn't near anyway. 

Archived