Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right...at 21 they knew they could lock him up when facing multiple 100 loss seasons in the face.

Sure, I'd buy that for a quarter.

Yes.  They lnew if he became an MVP they could offer him enough to keep him and not imperil their rebuild.

If mountcastle came up and spent 3 years on a bad team becoming an MVP the Oriole could not do the same.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

People who don't come to the realization that Elias and company were hired for a Houston-style full rebuild, and then don't come to terms with the two or three horrendously painful years of major-league level baseball that entails, are going to have a really tough time of things upcoming.  I agree, if they can't stomach this, it's probably in their best interest to find another hobby the next few seasons and check back later. 

This is a time where you take your enjoyment from watching the construction of the new building... not looking at the ground where the building is going to go and exasperatingly bemoan that it's empty right now. 

Your metaphor is incorrect, at least   insofar as I can tell from the comments I’m reading here.

The problem is not that we are looking at the current empty hole instead of Imagining the future skyscraper, the problem is that we are seeing sloppy construction, illogical architecture, and blatant omissions( as a beautiful example, the concert hall in which I play was constructed about nine years ago at a cost of about $380 million, but the parking garage is less than half the size it needs to be. Every time I pull into that garage I shake my head at the incompetence of the people who knowingly put in 200 parking spaces instead of 500 parking spaces, and spent 380 million while doing so.)

I don’t complain about losing baseball. I am very happy to accept that so long as we are making progress towards our goal. God knows I’ll miss it in October. And I don’t have a problem with what Mike is doing. I have minor complaints about this or that player, but everyone does, and that’s OK. So I’m on board with the vision.

Between now and then, though, I have a huge problem with sloppy baseball. I have a huge problem with Villar being sloppy, Severino throwing to an unmanned base, Sisco’s myriad bonehead plays, Smith running such bad routes he’s going AWAY from the ball instead of towards it, and so on. 

Because none of the guys here now is going to be on the team when it’s good, there is no reason not to get rid of guys who are consistently playing sloppy. We need to, right away, create an atmosphere of, “your best may not be good enough, but by God you better give your best and if you don’t, you’re gone.”

Whatever Hyde says behind closed doors has proven meaningless because the sloppy play continues.

At this time, and with these players, the one and only thing we can really do to help with future is to create an atmosphere of effort and results. We are not doing that.

I remember Dan saying,” He comes to play.” What a useless comment. Who doesn’t come to play?

Well......

2 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I prefer our deal:

Athletics acquired RHP Homer Bailey from the Royals for INF Kevin Merrell.

Merrell is a 23-year-old sporting a .631 OPS this season at Double-A, so the cost was cheap here for the A's. And they're only on the hook for about $250,000 of Bailey's salary for 2019. The veteran right-hander has posted underwhelming overall numbers this year, but does boast a 2.83 ERA over his last six starts. He'll make his Oakland debut sometime next week.

Was just coming here to post this. If the market for a 5th starter is a worse Rylan Bannon type prospect I much prefer taking a shot at a high risk, high reward int'l players.

26 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I prefer our deal:

Athletics acquired RHP Homer Bailey from the Royals for INF Kevin Merrell.

Merrell is a 23-year-old sporting a .631 OPS this season at Double-A, so the cost was cheap here for the A's. And they're only on the hook for about $250,000 of Bailey's salary for 2019. The veteran right-hander has posted underwhelming overall numbers this year, but does boast a 2.83 ERA over his last six starts. He'll make his Oakland debut sometime next week.

Guess the Royals GM should be fired along with Elias now too 

19 hours ago, Obando said:

I assume that Elias felt the quality of the prospects the O’s were getting in the deal made it worth agreeing to pay half of Cashner’a remaining salary for this year and his signing bonus.  Otherwise, why make the deal?  Don’t judge the trade based on how far away these prospects are from the majors or what they signed for last J2.  If Elias & Koby like these players, I’m willing to trust them on this and see how it plays out.  If anything, it’s clear the O’s just wanted to get rid of Cashner as quickly as they could, and there were only 2 teams showing legit interest.  Elias probably felt it was too risky to wait another couple weeks to hopefully increase his value further, when the opposite could happen and Cashner has been pitching great the last 2 months.  Trade him while he’s hot.

Agreed...great move.

3 hours ago, LTO's said:

Was just coming here to post this. If the market for a 5th starter is a worse Rylan Bannon type prospect I much prefer taking a shot at a high risk, high reward int'l players.

I agree.  If we traded Cashner and got something back like the Royals just got I'd be irate.  Not that I think either of these kids have a chance to make it but there's gotta be a higher upside than a Kevin Merrell, a 23-year-old Double-A infielder hitting .246/.292/.339 type.  

THAT guy doesn't help us either.  I'm not saying the kids do but at least there's a chance, albeit small, that they do.

Who knows how either of these guys will turn out, but I'd much rather take two 17 year olds who we can develop than a few 23 year old AA players who won't progress much further than where they are, we got enough of those at last years deadline.

Look at what KC just got for Bailey, I'll take our return over that any day.

K.C. saw the O's make a move for first place and stayed in the running by trading away Bailey. It's a dog eat dog world. Just when you think the O's locked up the No 1 draft choice, a dog bites 'em. Could be an epic battle down to the finish line.

5 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

It’s interesting that people consider themselves fans of a team, but only have interest if the results are more likely to go one way than another. 

It is interesting to you that the worst team in the league with virtually no talent with management making no effort  to pay to put better players on the field, is less interesting to a fan than a team with a ton of talent?

10 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

What is with you folks & your penchant for traveling armed to the teeth with straw. I never suggested that losing was as interesting as winning, we watch the games rooting for our team to win. I just watched the worst pitcher I’ve ever seen throw 100 pitches for my favorite team .....while that favorite team of mine was unable to get a single hit against a bum for 6 innings. I’d prefer we have better players, but prefer my O’s, as they are, to life without them.

I am a fan of the Orioles — I am connected to the decades I watched with my father — I am a fan of the cheers in the stands on a home run when we’re down 8 — I am a fan of every child enjoying a moment watching the O’s in the same place that I did — I am going to watch them lose 1,000 more, and hopefully win twice as many; but even if they never win again, they’ll always be a part of a million versions of me that only come back together when the orange & black play ball in the summer. 

I have no desire to watch the current team.  I don’t know who most of the current starters are on the team and I won’t bother to learn who they are as most probably won’t be around in a month.i don’t have a desire to watch terrible players like Martin, Broxton, Smith Jr..  maybe if Mountcastle, Akin and Hays come up I might have some interest but most of the current players I don’t consider Orioles.  If the team puts a bunch of Triple A rejects out there and makes no effort to improve I am done watching for the season.  I have seen enough games this year and Cashner was the one guy I liked.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

We traded the one guy you liked?  I like Elias even more now.  Tell me, how deep was your love affair with Cashner last year?

Clearly, Elias is making more progress with his Atomic strategy than with Davis.

9 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Cashner cleared waivers last year and no one came calling. Everyone had a shot at this guy in free agency two years ago.

^For those who said we should have waited for a better offer.

Wow ...Cashner had a 5.00+ ERA last year and a 3.83 this year. It doesn't take a genius to figure why he was trade this you and no one wanted him on a waiver claim last.

47 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow ...Cashner had a 5.00+ ERA last year and a 3.83 this year. It doesn't take a genius to figure why he was trade this you and no one wanted him on a waiver claim last.

All this means nothing cause Bama's first game is August 31st.

46 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He made 17 starts this year with a FIP  slightly above his career number. No GM changed his valuation on him because of this. He’s got a 10 year track record...one ok streak isn’t moving the needle. 

Just a reminder that Jonathan Schoop was signed as a non-drafted free agent back when he was 16 years old.

You never know with these kids, but I'd much rather what Elias is doing by stockpiling talent, especially young talent, in circumstances of Andrew Cashner. You're not going to get sure thing blue chippers for him. So why not roll the dice especially on two players that Elias already had an eye prior to being in Baltimore?

Archived