Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Oh man. Get yourself a decent IPA and try it out. Something 100% Citra.

I think that your taste buds need to be young.  I have been trying beers my entire drinking life (60 years - I had a few Schaefers when I was underage).  I have tried numerous IPAs and sometimes I get a few sips down but the hoppiness gets to me - so bitter.  I want to like them but the lagers, pilsners and pale, wheat or amber ales suit my taste buds better.  @scOtt can relate right?

Tonight let it be Braxton!~

EALRIduX4AA6XTg.jpg

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

I think that your taste buds need to be young.  I have been trying beers my entire drinking life (60 years - I had a few Schaefers when I was underage).  I have tried numerous IPAs and sometimes I get a few sips down but the hoppiness gets to me - so bitter.  I want to like them but the lagers, pilsners and pale, wheat or amber ales suit my taste buds better.  @scOtt can relate right?

It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but lately with the hazy IPA craze, they've catered to idea that people don't like bitter-- just like yourself. Really well made IPAs with cheater hops can be pleasing to even the most skeptical non-IPA drinker. 

The older you are the easier it is to drink bitter-- years wear and tear will dull the palate!

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

EALRIduX4AA6XTg.jpg

I like IPAs but yeah, they can be a bit much. I'm no connoisseur. Fav is Bass Ale. I also like Beck's and esp. Beck's Dark. Otherwise it's just Coor's Lights or Keystone Light lately (cheaper and made by Coor's ) Probably just switch pallets of cans on the same canning line. ?

51 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but lately with the hazy IPA craze, they've catered to idea that people don't like bitter-- just like yourself. Really well made IPAs with cheater hops can be pleasing to even the most skeptical non-IPA drinker. 

The older you are the easier it is to drink bitter-- years wear and tear will dull the palate!

Not only different kinds of hops, but reducing the cooking time or even "dry hopping" brings out the grapefruit and other flavors without the bitterness.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:28 AM, Aristotelian said:

Not only different kinds of hops, but reducing the cooking time or even "dry hopping" brings out the grapefruit and other flavors without the bitterness.

Some of the IPAs produced by the Captain Lawrence (Elmsford, NY) and Single Cut (Astoria, NY) breweries have, for me, the perfect balance of initial sweetness, hovering mid-sip grapefruitoness, and slowly-fading, but absolutely serious bitter aftertaste that reassures the senior drinker of the value of his hard-won wisdom.

The problem is their availability and the fact that both breweries constantly create so many new IPAs it's difficult to find again the exact one that was previously enjoyed so much. Like a lost flirtation in a new dark neighborhood, just another one-bar stand.

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I hope Ricky Martin doesn't mind that his tenure with the O's has been deterred by this hijack.

I will look for the citrus (hazy) IPA's of which you and others above have talked.  I really like Lost Cost Tangerine Wheat so maybe the citrus flavoring helps.  It's nice to find a new beer, but every time I go get a flight at a brewpub, I'm disappointed.  I tried Shiner Sea Salt and Lime lager that I liked recently.

Now return to ridding Ricky Martin from our SS position already!  But he's on a (SSS) hot streak!  Dump high?  ⚾

3 hours ago, bobmc said:

I hope Ricky Martin doesn't mind that his tenure with the O's has been deterred by this hijack.

I will look for the citrus (hazy) IPA's of which you and others above have talked.  I really like Lost Cost Tangerine Wheat so maybe the citrus flavoring helps.  It's nice to find a new beer, but every time I go get a flight at a brewpub, I'm disappointed.  I tried Shiner Sea Salt and Lime lager that I liked recently.

Now return to ridding Ricky Martin from our SS position already!  But he's on a (SSS) hot streak!  Dump high?  ⚾

Had something like this when I was in Germany (1985). Augsburgerbrau Alte-veize. Great stuff! Leave the last big swallow in the bottle because of the sediment!

cropped-1482305094-bier.png

17 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I can drink an IPA, but brewers have gone way overboard.  You'll go to a craft brewery and they'll have eight beers, a light beer, a couple of fruity things, a porter or a stout, and four or five IPAs.  It's like they've forgotten that there are a hundred other kinds of beer out there, and not everyone is out to have an IBU contest. It's like hot sauces 10 or 15 years ago, let's make them so hot that it's inedible, and let's put ghost peppers on everything from eggs to pizza.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I can drink an IPA, but brewers have gone way overboard.  You'll go to a craft brewery and they'll have eight beers, a light beer, a couple of fruity things, a porter or a stout, and five IPAs.  It's like they've forgotten that there are a hundred other kinds of beer out there, and not everyone is out to have an IBU contest. It's like hot sauces 10 or 15 years ago, let's make them so hot that it's inedible, and let's put ghost peppers on everything from eggs to pizza.

No argument there. IPAs are a money maker. Everyone's got five, and a lot of breweries aren't that good at making them. So many brand new breweries in the area are really just home brewers who dunked their 401K into a professional venture so they don't have to push paper for the rest of their lives. People with no concept of how to brew on a large scale. 

Was in Black Flag last weekend. Usually pretty good beers, they had two on tap that were undrinkable-- a soapy tasting IPA and a porter that tasted like boozy maple syrup with Splenda. Was in Full Tilt in Towson last month-- an entire menu of average-to-bad beers. BC Brewing in Hunt Valley-- 24 taps of barely interesting beer. Tall Tales in Ocean City with some obscenely bitter hazy IPAs. 

I've been to 32 breweries in Maryland. I've seen it all. My recommendation is that the flagship beers are always great. Loose Cannon is quality no-frills IPA that won't blow up your skirt but always delivers. Dogfish Head 60 minute-- best IPA on the east coast. Diamondback Green Machine is the best hazy IPA in the Baltimore area. RAR and Burley Oak rarely make bad beer. 

Oh, and Richie Martin will follow Joey Rickard's career. Give the Orioles two or three frustrating years of up and down performance riding a shuttle to Norfolk.

Archived