Jace Peterson opts out. Update: Re-signed. Update: Promoted.

interloper

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, interloper said:

I dunno if this really needs a thread, but he was coming up recently as a potential replacement if Villar were to be traded. That's doesn't appear like it will be an option now. Best of luck to the guy, he's had a great year for Norfolk. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/jace-peterson-opts-out-orioles-contract.html

I guess I can see him wanting to jump now, since he's 29, he may never get another chance like this, and he's having his best AAA season.  But he's a guy with 1200 MLB PAs and a .650 OPS.  Hie performance this year is probably 80% due to the new balls in AAA, since he's 31st in the International League in OPS (min 100 PAs).

9 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If anything, should have traded him for Intl $ or a low level fringe player.  His versatility would give him a little value to a contender, even if they stash him in their AAA system.

If you trade a guy with an opt-out can't he just opt out of his new team, too?

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The upside I guess is maybe some more room at Norfolk for a promotion. 

Baysox are in a pennant race.  I don't know if there will be any promotion of anyone that is part of the O's future.

9 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

I'm pretty sure he was hoping for a MLB offer..sounds like bad advise from his agent. 

I don't know if they were looking for a MLB offer, but his agent probably had a list of teams that might offer a path back to the majors this year (nagging injuries, etc.). I guess we'll probably never know since it's not exactly a hot news topic for reporters...but I'm always a little curious about how these small deals work. 

Archived