Givens market heating up

Moose Milligan

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

17 year old DSL prospects!!!  Bring it on!!!

Yeah. I don't think Elias wants organizational filler type guys. He's looking for home run talents. I expect low A ball prospects or DSL dudes coming back in almost any trade we do. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/astros-to-acquire-ryan-pressly.html

I'm thinking the Ryan pressly trade from last year might be a decent comp.  He was another guy with control and a solid track record.  When he was traded he was also striking guys out at a career best rate but had a bit of an inflated ERA

Twins got the Astros #10 and #15 prospect for him. Neither were top 100 but still a solid return. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/07/astros-to-acquire-ryan-pressly.html

I'm thinking the Ryan pressly trade from last year might be a decent comp.  He was another guy with control and a solid track record.  When he was traded he was also striking guys out at a career best rate but had a bit of an inflated ERA

Twins got the Astros #10 and #15 prospect for him. Neither were top 100 but still a solid return. 

Neither doing much in the minors this year either, but hey that's the roll of the dice. Certainly a decent return on paper though.

4 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

How about Givens to the Padres for Ty France and Logan Allen?

I'd do that.  France is blocked at 3rd by Machado so Padres might be more willing to deal him. I'm not sure Elias would go for MLB ready guys though.  

Out of the four teams listed I hope we deal with the Padres or Braves.  Their farm systems are loaded. 

• Upvote 1

It wouldn’t be the worst thing to hold onto Givens and trade him this time next year. I think Hyde had good intentions by using him in a “fire stopper” role earlier in the year, but that resulted in him getting a little overworked. Hyde has been using him better recently. He could be the Shane Greene(Det closer) of next deadline. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let's have at it, OH!  What Top 100 prospect do you guys think we can pry away from any of these teams only to be left empy handed with a AAAA third baseman?

One top 100?

Only one?

how about three? That’s what we should insist on and not a dime less!

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Also I wonder if the Padres would want Villar to replace Kinsler?

Nobody wants Villar unless he’s free. He’s going to be non-tendered because his arbitration salary will be too high, so he’s a rental, and he plays bad fundamental baseball. No contending team wants him.

1 hour ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Looking at the current roster distribution throughout the minor league system. Both GCL and Aberdeen are drowning in pitching depth from our recent draft allocation. 

Kind of ironic, considering Elias’ first 8 picks were position players. But he made up for lost time after that, and we ended up signing 18 pitchers compared to 15 position players.    And, the previous couple of drafts were pitcher-heavy.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kind of ironic, considering Elias’ first 8 picks were position players. But he made up for lost time after that, and we ended up signing 18 pitchers compared to 15 position players.    And, the previous couple of drafts were pitcher-heavy.   

Seems like he’s trying to build the organization up. I’m pretty sure all the pitchers that signed were College seniors and juniors. They’re getting results right now. They should give Delmarva a good staff next year.