Montanez not playing is a joke

mikezpen

This has long been the Oriole way... Bring up the young guy & let him ride the pine. Montanez's bat is on fire. Why bring him up & sit him in favor of veterans. If Montanez cant play CF ...Then he shouldn't be called up to be a bench player IMO.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 2 games he's been up hes played 11 innings. I'd hardly call that riding the pine. If he played CF he be in all the time. As it is he'll see plenty of playing time between Luke resting his achilles at DH or sitting against lefties, and Mora getting a day off.:rolleyestf:

ledzepp, I don;t care if Millar hit five home runs in the game; he has no part in the future of this team. And there is no reason to play him every game.There is no reason why Millar, Mora, Huff and Scott can't take turns sitting out games so Montanez can at least get a look. That way, they'd all play 3 of 4 or 4 of every five games. Montanez can be DH or play left; that way we can keep Jay Payton's irreplaceable gold glove, undisturbed in center.;)

He should have at least replaced Scott by about the seventh inning.

I don't think the front office would offer arbitration to Payton under any circumstance, and they might with Millar if we don't get Tex, but I'm not sure at what date they would have to make this decision. I could see both accepting arbitration if it were offered because neither one is going to get a multi-year deal from anyone else.

In the 2 games he's been up hes played 11 innings. I'd hardly call that riding the pine. If he played CF he be in all the time. As it is he'll see plenty of playing time between Luke resting his achilles at DH or sitting against lefties, and Mora getting a day off.:rolleyestf:

Can he play CF? Does anyone know for sure?

By the way Wieters hit 2 more Homeruns Tonight with a BB & 6 RBI's:wedge:

I fail to see the logic of keeping a double-A triple crown contender on the bench, not allowing us to see if he has a future here, so we can waste at-bats on people with NO future here, hoping they do well so we can MAYBE get a draft pick when they leave here.

I fail to see the logic of keeping a double-A triple crown contender on the bench, not allowing us to see if he has a future here, so we can waste at-bats on people with NO future here, hoping they do well so we can MAYBE get a draft pick when they leave here.

This is how I feel Mike.... I cant believe that we'd be better with Luke playing more at DH, Huff more at 1B , So that he can play. Here's a idea ... Why not ask Markakis to play CF until Jones can return. Then move Montanez to RF. This way Luke /Payton can still play in LF. We are not going to the playoffs. These games need to be used for auditions for guys who can make a difference in teh future. Great game by Millar tonight ... But Trembly's love for the veteran just hurts the team long term.;

I put out the more talented team... that I mention below... and build their confidence by letting them play with players who have a chance to be part of the future... instead of the number of retreads that still comprise large swaths of our roster...

Thank you. Nice lineup.

Are you aware that you probably cost the O's a year of eligibility by playing Wieters before April 15th? And you did that in a year where his contribution will not help the O's to the playoffs. Additionally by not playing Ramon when he is averaging an 800 OPS over the last two months and may continue that through the rest of the season, that you hurt his trade value.

Are you aware that Scott does not hit well as a DH but does as a leftfielder.

Are you aware that Montanez probably can't play a major league CF and probably would make the pitchers throw many more pitches for the balls that he can't get to the Payton does get to?

Are you aware that at least two of the balls (maybe more) that Castro got to and turned into outs tonight, Cintron had no chance of making a play on if he was in the game?

So what your lineup does is cause the pitcher to have to get 4 or 5 outs in a inning and probably costs the starter an inning or two off his start not to mention the runs it may cost.

Those are just my opinions, but I think they are worth considering. Trembley and MacPhail probably have a decent idea of what are trying to accomplish both this year and in the future. That's why Payton is in CF. Castro is at SS. Wieters is still in the minors. Ramon is catching. And Scott plays LF much more then DHing.

Wildcard, what happens to Luke Scott if Reimold comes up next year to play left field? He goes to DH. If he's going to struggle for awhile getting used to being the DH, let him do it now when the games and the season's finish don't mean that much.

Can he play CF? Does anyone know for sure?

By the way Wieters hit 2 more Homeruns Tonight with a BB & 6 RBI's:wedge:

I read somewhere in the Sun that they looked at him as a corner OF. I saw him twicew in Bowie and I know he played left one game and I believe he DH'd the other, not that 2 games means anything. I am sure he will get his AB's but not as many as the Hangout wants.

Wildcard, what happens to Luke Scott if Reimold comes up next year to play left field? He goes to DH. If he's going to struggle for awhile getting used to being the DH, let him do it now when the games and the season's finish don't mean that much.

That is a very valid point. That might be worth trying. But you have to consider that he may never adjust to DHing. Many players do not.

So if that is why he would be DHing this year, that is a good use of his at bats. But everyone should understand what it is happening. Of the players on the team only Huff that I am aware of DHs well. Millar does not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/batting?team=bal&season=2008&seasonType=2&split=86&cat=avg&order=true&type=reg

Here is something else to consider. Oscar Salazar is batting for over a 1000 OPS at AAA. Just thought I would mention it.

Please. The Os do not have a good track record when it comes to using guys in a manner that increases their value. Normally they use guys well beyond their years and we are stuck watching them walk away with little or nothing in return.

If anyone thinks that Payton or Millar are going to net us something other than a wave good bye, Please explain how.

Montanez should be playing more often than not going forward. I hope that happens

Great nite for baseball. I was hoping to go out there till I saw Schmuck's lineup.Apparently, they brought up an Eastern League triple crown-level hitter to be used only one of our glorious veteran presences needs a rest, but not to get any real opportunity.I cannot believe that, on a last place team this guy isn't good enough, and instead they stick with a bunch of declining .240 hitters simply because they've put in their time. With Jones gone, that lineup puts me to sleep.

I know I will be criticized for my attitude, but I don't care. No Montanez, no mikezpen.

Tell me how it comes out.

Good call staying home, Mike. Forget the lineup...Guthrie was putting them to sleep. I don't think it's in quite the same way you meant, though. ;)

Archived