Montanez not playing is a joke

mikezpen

The problem here is crstoner and SG are saying "I'm superior to these people," but what's left out of that sentence but I'm pretty sure implied is, "in terms of our understanding of the game of baseball."

I agree with them here. Where I disagree is saying they are superior fans because that assumes a right and wrong rather than a plurality of rights within fandom.

For example, my father doesn't know crap about modern statistics and he gets most of his info from the mainstream media. However, he is a true baseball historian. You could ask him about almost any Oriole in history, give him a specific year, and he will recite that player's average, home runs, and runs batted in that season. It's amazing. He's also spent a lot of his hard earned money on Orioles memorabilia, traveled across the country to see the team, and raised three new Orioles fanatics. Am I a better fan than my dad because I know more about statistics and our minor leaguers? Hell no, he's been an O's fan twice as long as I've been alive.

The moral of the story is:

SG and crstoner are not superior people to 95% of O's fans, and they do not believe that, some people have understandably misinterpreted their words.

SG and crstoner DO believe they are superior fans to 95% of O's fans, they're wrong because fandom is a vast and complex world with a variety of paths each with their own positives and negatives. There aren't rights and wrongs.

SG and crstoner DO believe they (and most of the OH) are superior analysts of the game of baseball in terms of statistics, minor leaguers, roster management, and knowledge of other teams. I agree with them 100%.

You cannot refute any of this because I am always right, I am a superior debate clarifier and analyst to 99% of the world!

Dude - you stole my father anecdote/argument. Tacky. ;)

I think you're right. The superiority of some form of fandom is really one of the worst arguments that gets endlessly repeated around here (in part because it draws out the biggest egos (RShack, SG, some douche named Lucky Jim...))

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't a political board, but you brought up the name. Lucky Jim, most of the delusions of "superiority" lie far to the left of Ayn Rand. believe me.

If you want to have this conversation, feel free to PM me. Though there's no reason to make anything political - my comment only referenced Rand because Objectivism is based on elitism. I don't care who/what folks believe politically.

Regardless, though, I'm a well-educated adult. I don't need to "believe you" about anything political.

I apologize, however, if the Ayn Rand comment seemed "political" or the "fanatics" seemed dismissive. We were talking about "fans" so I used "fanatics". It wasn't intended to be a slight.

Dude - you stole my father anecdote/argument. Tacky. ;)

I think you're right. The superiority of some form of fandom is really one of the worst arguments that gets endlessly repeated around here (in part because it draws out the biggest egos (RShack, SG, some douche named Lucky Jim...)

Dude, you totally didn't end parenthesis correctly. For shame.

If no Payton then who?

Yes, Montanez has played CF in the minors, but his time in the corners is far more significant. So I have trouble buying into the idea of sticking him out in CF in the majors.

I don't see them moving Markakis over either. He is a top flight Right fielder, one that I imagine they plan on keeping in right field for as long as he is willing to be here.

Center field is locked up for the foreseeable future with Jones, Payton is a band aid that we all know is getting taken off eventually.

If we severed ties with Payton today, I would guess it would be 28 year old Roberson or 31 year old Redman patrolling and not Montanez or Reimold.

Payton has no chance to be a type B FA.

Millar has a chance to be a type B, but we only get the pick if we offer him arbitration, which he will possibly accept.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still get the supplemental pick even if you don't offer a Type B free agent arbitration if he signs with another team before Dec. 1.

If no Payton then who?

Yes, Montanez has played CF in the minors, but his time in the corners is far more significant. So I have trouble buying into the idea of sticking him out in CF in the majors.

I don't see them moving Markakis over either. He is a top flight Right fielder, one that I imagine they plan on keeping in right field for as long as he is willing to be here.

Center field is locked up for the foreseeable future with Jones, Payton is a band aid that we all know is getting taken off eventually.

If we severed tied with Payton today, I would guess it would be 28 year old Roberson or 31 year old Redman patrolling and not Montanez or Reimold.

Wow, an actual logical perspective. Nice post.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still get the supplemental pick even if you don't offer a Type B free agent arbitration if he signs with another team before Dec. 1.

I think this is correct, but I doubt any team signs him before December 1st.

Millar isn't exactly at the top of most teams lists, he is probably a plan B for a lot of teams, so I don't see him being signed by anybody that early.

The problem here is crstoner and SG are saying "I'm superior to these people," but what's left out of that sentence but I'm pretty sure implied is, "in terms of our understanding of the game of baseball."

I agree with them here. Where I disagree is saying they are superior fans because that assumes a right and wrong rather than a plurality of rights within fandom.

For example, my father doesn't know crap about modern statistics and he gets most of his info from the mainstream media. However, he is a true baseball historian. You could ask him about almost any Oriole in history, give him a specific year, and he will recite that player's average, home runs, and runs batted in that season. It's amazing. He's also spent a lot of his hard earned money on Orioles memorabilia, traveled across the country to see the team, and raised three new Orioles fanatics. Am I a better fan than my dad because I know more about statistics and our minor leaguers? Hell no, he's been an O's fan twice as long as I've been alive.

SG and crstoner are not superior people to 95% of O's fans, and they do not believe that, some people have understandably misinterpreted their words.

SG and crstoner DO believe they are superior fans to 95% of O's fans, they're wrong because fandom is a vast and complex world with a variety of paths each with their own positives and negatives. There aren't rights and wrongs.

SG and crstoner DO believe they (and most of the OH) are superior analysts of the game of baseball in terms of statistics, minor leaguers, roster management, and knowledge of other teams. I agree with them 100%.

You cannot refute any of this because I am always right, I am a superior debate clarifier and analyst to 99% of the world!

Why am I getting lumped in? lol

And here i thought the most important thing last night ws the O's won. With players you don't lkie to see. Silly me i thought them winning was important and meant something to fans. Mike i am glad all fans of the O's are not like you. Too bad you can't put your dislike of the older players on the team away and enjoy the victory last night. You have no concept of what the word team means. It should not matter to fans if the team is using older players instead of the younger ones that will be here in time. The win is what should make fans happy. It made me happy to see the team win. I could not care less who the players are. I am a fan of the team. Too bad you don't know what that means. Or so it seems.

The only thing I can agree with in this whole post is your last sentence. :D

You shouldn't be...you are Mr. Congeniality compared to crstoner these days. ;)

Well really, i don't see much issue with whathis message...He is saying that 95% of the people on here have superior knowledge to the common fan and he is lumping himself in that.

He is 1000% right...Anyone not agreeing with that either doesn't respect the knowledge that is on this board, don't listen to talk radio or are that out of the touch with the common fan.

Chris and I have something the rest of you don't have...experience being around the fans on a daily basis.

The bottom line is all Chris is stating is the truth and in a society where people are afraid to be held accountable for their actions and hate hearing the truth, i can see why people were rubbed the wrong way but the bottom line is he is correct.

I mean, VaTech is getting bent out of shape about it but if you start to question VaTech about pitching, he gets bent out of shape and pounds his chest about he knows pitching...And you know what, he should...He does know what he is talking about a lot of the times and that is why people ask him...He does the same thing Chris is doing here without actually saying the words.

Well really, i don't see much issue with whathis message...He is saying that 95% of the people on here have superior knowledge to the common fan and he is lumping himself in that.

He is 1000% right...Anyone not agreeing with that either doesn't respect the knowledge that is on this board, don't listen to talk radio or are that out of the touch with the common fan.

Chris and I have something the rest of you don't have...experience being around the fans on a daily basis.

The bottom line is all Chris is stating is the truth and in a society where people are afraid to be held accountable for their actions and hate hearing the truth, i can see why people were rubbed the wrong way but the bottom line is he is correct.

I mean, VaTech is getting bent out of shape about it but if you start to question VaTech about pitching, he gets bent out of shape and pounds his chest about he knows pitching...And you know what, he should...He does know what he is talking about a lot of the times and that is why people ask him...He does the same thing Chris is doing here without actually saying the words.

I have experience being around the common fan on a daily basis, too. So, you know, it's not like you two are the only ones.

If crstoner was trying to say that he has superior knowledge over the common fan, then he picked a poor way to say it. He said "they are morons, I am superior." You see where that might be a little sketchy, right? There was never a qualifying statement there. There was never a "when it comes to evaluating players, or knowing the minor leagues, or knowing stats," qualifier. It was flat.

That's where I take issue and I think that's where VaTech takes issue as well. It's not about being able to handle the truth or not. crstoner said that he thinks that most people, in general, are complete morons. That's not even talking about the baseball aspect anymore.

I think that I possess superior knowledge than a lot of people when it comes to stats, or knowing the roster and other teams rosters, or evaluating players, or being able to think through roster moves and decisions. I think I'm a pretty well-rounded poster here. I tend to straddle the line between stats and scouts. So sure, my knowledge of the Orioles and baseball may be superior to the common fan. But as a person, I am not superior nor do I have any reason to believe that I am. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't take the route of proclaiming my superiority to everyone within shouting distance. And they are not morons, in general.

I have experience being around the common fan on a daily basis, too. So, you know, it's not like you two are the only ones.

If crstoner was trying to say that he has superior knowledge over the common fan, then he picked a poor way to say it. He said "they are morons, I am superior." You see where that might be a little sketchy, right? There was never a qualifying statement there. There was never a "when it comes to evaluating players, or knowing the minor leagues, or knowing stats," qualifier. It was flat.

That's where I take issue and I think that's where VaTech takes issue as well. It's not about being able to handle the truth or not. crstoner said that he thinks that most people, in general, are complete morons. That's not even talking about the baseball aspect anymore.

I think that I possess superior knowledge than a lot of people when it comes to stats, or knowing the roster and other teams rosters, or evaluating players, or being able to think through roster moves and decisions. I think I'm a pretty well-rounded poster here. I tend to straddle the line between stats and scouts. So sure, my knowledge of the Orioles and baseball may be superior to the common fan. But as a person, I am not superior nor do I have any reason to believe that I am. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't take the route of proclaiming my superiority to everyone within shouting distance. And they are not morons, in general.

Well, there are a ton of stupid people out there...Not sure how that can be denied.

But this goes back to what i said...People being too sensitive and blowing things out of proportion..This is a freakin message board...Who cares if someone says that..How does it impact your life? Why does it bother you so much? Why go on and on about it?

And Chris was clearly not talking about him being a superior person....he was obviously talking about knowledge of the game. The only reason anyone would read that any differently is because they want to.

I was always taught that its not what you say, but how you say it.

This is a message board...I don't get my panties in a wad about most things...but some things just go way overboard, even for a message board, and especially for one as well respected as this one.

I may be a clueless moron, but I don't have to constantly be reminded of that fact. ;)

Archived