Montanez not playing is a joke

mikezpen

Great nite for baseball. I was hoping to go out there till I saw Schmuck's lineup.Apparently, they brought up an Eastern League triple crown-level hitter to be used only one of our glorious veteran presences needs a rest, but not to get any real opportunity.I cannot believe that, on a last place team this guy isn't good enough, and instead they stick with a bunch of declining .240 hitters simply because they've put in their time. With Jones gone, that lineup puts me to sleep.

I know I will be criticized for my attitude, but I don't care. No Montanez, no mikezpen.

Tell me how it comes out.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if Montanez was a bigger jerk than Payton in the clubhouse he'd get some more playing time. Trembley needs to put earplugs in and just bench Payton vs. RHPs. They basically took the Eastern League TC away from Montanez, so he'd better not just be rotting on the bench.

Problem is Montanez apparently can't play a decent CF. So if he's in the game, Luke Scott isn't, at least at LF.

So its not really Payton who is preventing Montanez from playing, its Millar and Mora. If they are out, Huff goes to 1B/3B, Scott to DH, and Montanez to LF.

Montanez should be playing about 2/3 of the games, that would mean Millar and Mora each sit 1 out of every three games. You could even give Huff or Scott a day off on that third game, getting Montanez into about 5 of 6 games with Millar and Mora sitting 2 of 6 and either Huff or Scott sitting one of 6, repeat the process for the next 6 games with the other of Huff or Scott getting the day off.

Great nite for baseball. I was hoping to go out there till I saw Schmuck's lineup.Apparently, they brought up an Eastern League triple crown-level hitter to be used only one of our glorious veteran presences needs a rest, but not to get any real opportunity.I cannot believe that, on a last place team this guy isn't good enough, and instead they stick with a bunch of declining .240 hitters simply because they've put in their time. With Jones gone, that lineup puts me to sleep.

I know I will be criticized for my attitude, but I don't care. No Montanez, no mikezpen.

Tell me how it comes out.

I am also disappointed he isn't playing. It isn't like Jay Payton needs to be showcased to contending teams. It is obvious that he would be a 4th outfielder, righty off the bench, pinch runner, and defensive replacement. For goodness sake, everybody knows exactly what Jay Payton is...regardless of what he does tonight or tomorrow.

Payton was a problem last season, but I think the negativity towards him this season is unwarranted, IMO. His performance hasn't been great, but he's done well at the thing he does well, hitting lefties (.919 OPS) and his attitude has been fine this year. He's even spoken about how he understands the direction of the team and how him getting a lot of playing time isn't a major part of that.

He's overpaid for sure, and he seemed like a jerk last year, but I don't think he deserves that much wrath for the way he's played this year. He's done pretty much everything we could've expected out of him without being any sort of problem in the clubhouse.

Payton was a problem last season, but I think the negativity towards him this season is unwarranted, IMO. His performance hasn't been great, but he's done well at the thing he does well, hitting lefties (.919 OPS) and his attitude has been fine this year. He's even spoken about how he understands the direction of the team and how him getting a lot of playing time isn't a major part of that.

He's overpaid for sure, and he seemed like a jerk last year, but I don't think he deserves that much wrath for the way he's played this year. He's done pretty much everything we could've expected out of him without being any sort of problem in the clubhouse.

I've got nothing personal against Jay. It's just in my opinion it serves no purpose to let him go out there everyday. And against RHP he should have had barely any at-bats this year.

Sports Guy and somebody else(Hank Scorpio?), have both said that they are hearing Payton is a huge problem in the clubhouse. Evidently he's always whining and complaining.

Archived