Is Santander the best of the Rule 5’s?

AceKing

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I understand your caution on Santander and share it.  2018 was a lost season and his Norfolk numbers were mediocre.  I would point to the .861 OPS in the Carolina League at age 21 and 15 games (SSS) at Bowie in 2017 where he was a man among boys with 5 doubles, 5 homers, 7 walks, 9 strikeouts and a 1.220 OPS.  I just hope he can stay healthy as that seems to have been his biggest problem so far in his career.

Yep, these are reasons for optimism with Santander.    I don’t mean for my caution to be mistaken for lack of enthusiasm for the possibility that he’ll turn out well.   I’m certainly hoping he will and liking what I’m seeing right now.   I just want to see a lot more. 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, it really is weird have defensive metrics doesn't like Martin yet he passes the eyeball scouting tests. I'm really waiting on statcast to release infield defense metrics to the public to see why. I agree though, the metrics we have now put him below average but at the same time, he's a guy I'd be fine with playing SS everyday if he could OPS .680-.700.

Yea, we need more information, more tracking stuff.  It's hard to see just by looking.

He seems a way off from a .680 OPS.  But he is jumping from AA.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:20 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Well if it's a low bar, what are we talking about here?

I agree that Santander is looking like he could be a nice pickup.  I just think the rule is inherently silly.  I get it that it's "Robin Hood-ing" and allowing teams to improve their talent base, but the fact that they have to stay on the ML roster for an entire season is dumb.  Forcing a team to keep a player on the ML roster who, as you said, isn't typically ready doesn't do anyone any favors.  It doesn't do the ML team any favors, it doesn't do the player any favors.  I'd argue that the player who typically isn't ready is going to be most likely the 25th man on a team and not get a lot of playing time and that his time would be better off in AA or AAA.  The team acquiring that player possibly improves its talent level on a system wide basis and the player gets more playing time, getting the seasoning that you mentioned that they inevitably need.

I'd further amend the stupid rule so that if a player isn't called up by a certain time, then he can be offered back to his original team.  That rule would move him to the front of the line when a team has to dip into the minors to bring someone up but doesn't force the team to keep the player on the 25 man. 

As I said, I think the rule is inherently silly.  You said yourself that the Rule 5 has lower expectations anyway and that most of them are returned to the minors for more seasoning the following season.  SO WHY #$%^ DO YOU FORCE A TEAM TO KEEP THEM ON THE 25 MAN ROSTER FOR A WHOLE SEASON?  Mind you, I'm not yelling at you @Roll Tide, it's just that this has never made any sense.  

Agreed. Jose Morban comes to mind on why keeping someone on the roster for a whole year is a waste of a roster spot.

Correction: Jose was previously a Rule V pick before coming to the O's. Still.

Edited by dedwretched
  • Upvote 1