Is Santander the best of the Rule 5’s?

AceKing

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So far at 22, which is still young for a major leaguer by most standards. Santander has a .280 BA, 5 HR, 20ish RBI, and an OPS of .750 in 150ish ABs. I think it's safe to assume he can continue to improve some more into his late 20s. 

If he ends up with a .280-.290 AVG, and a .340-.350 OBP, has 20-25 HRs , 100ish RBI, and a .800 OPS I think everyone would agree that he was a nice find.

And basically picked up by the Orioles for a bare minimum expense

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

He's actually 24 now.

And, I think the outcome Roll Tide is hoping for is pretty unlikely.    I’m extremely pleased with how Santander has done so far, and he certainly looks the part.    But I can’t forget that he’s the same guy who posted a .695 OPS at Bowie last year and .726 at Norfolk this year.    And I can’t forget how good Dwight Smith Jr. looked for about two months despite his mediocre minor league numbers, and how that’s now come home to roost.   So, it’s going to take another couple hundred at bats of production from Santander before I start to dream about him producing along the lines Roll Tide suggests over the longer term.    I’m not ruling it out, but I need to see a lot more.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And, I think the outcome Roll Tide is hoping for is pretty unlikely.    I’m extremely pleased with how Santander has done so far, and he certainly looks the part.    But I can’t forget that he’s the same guy who posted a .695 OPS at Bowie last year and .726 at Norfolk this year.    And I can’t forget how good Dwight Smith Jr. looked for about two months despite his mediocre minor league numbers, and how that’s now come home to roost.   So, it’s going to take another couple hundred at bats of production from Santander before I start to dream about him producing along the lines Roll Tide suggests over the longer term.    I’m not ruling it out, but I need to see a lot more.   

I think he can be a productive outfielder.   He strikes me as a 20 homer guy who will play decent defense.   I see him as more of a 2 WAR type player...and there's nothing wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As a switch hitter with some pop who can cover all three outfield positions, I'd be happy if he became our 4th outfielder. That would indicate that  three ahead of him were pretty good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

If he ends up with a .280-.290 AVG, and a .340-.350 OBP, has 20-25 HRs , 100ish RBI, and a .800 OPS I think everyone would agree that he was a nice find. 

I think that would be a great outcome for a Rule 5 pick.  Just remember that his career line sits at .247/.295/.376, and he turns 25 in October.

3 hours ago, sylvester said:

Lets use Martin as an example. Instead of staying up all year with the big club, knowing he is over matched at the plate.  Offering Oakland 250k to keep him on the 40 man roster and allow him to play at AAA.  Oakland most likely would take the money and Baltimore would most likely pay the amount to allow him to move too AAA.  Or a figure up to 500k might be appropriate.  

1) It’s not that simple I don’t think. In order to train them I think they would have to put him on waivers first which would make him available to every team

3 hours ago, sylvester said:

Lets use Martin as an example. Instead of staying up all year with the big club, knowing he is over matched at the plate.  Offering Oakland 250k to keep him on the 40 man roster and allow him to play at AAA.  Oakland most likely would take the money and Baltimore would most likely pay the amount to allow him to move too AAA.  Or a figure up to 500k might be appropriate.  

We don’t have a replacement for him, and it would be a terrible move to dump your best defender because he’s not hitting, especially when at least two players are hitting worse.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree with your basic point, but you left out his defense. I thought it was fine but it is actually bad.

And at his current rate, probably 8 homers and 38-40 RBIs. Not bad, but nothing special. 

But if his defense can improve, that’s a guy worth keeping.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

I agree with your basic point, but you left out his defense. I thought it was fine but it is actually bad.

And at his current rate, probably 8 homers and 38-40 RBIs. Not bad, but nothing special. 

But if his defense can improve, that’s a guy worth keeping.

He has 5 home runs and 21 RBI in 132 ABs this year. Assuming he becomes a MLB regular over 600 ABs my project would be accurate/realistic. The question is can he make that happen.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He has 5 home runs and 21 RBI in 132 ABs this year. Assuming he becomes a MLB regular over 600 ABs my project would be accurate/realistic. The question is can he make that happen.

Good point. I had forgotten about his limited ABs.

I like him even at 8/40, though. He has less speed than Rickard but more power, and if his defense is as good or better, he’s no worse than a fourth OF until he hits arbitration, and by then we’ll have better waiting.