Is Santander the best of the Rule 5’s?

AceKing

Obv not the best in baseball over the last few years, but is he the best of the bunch from these past several years (the years since we seem to have them every year)?

I hope he continues to get better....he sure is a tough out right now.

4 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Do we agree that our teams would have been better equipped to win if we never even bothered with the Rule 5?

I don't know if I agree with that or not.  I do think that it's a pain in the ass to have to carry a guy all year season long for fear that he goes back to his former club.  We'd have to look at their performances and try to determine who'd have been in their place instead.  That sounds exhausting.  

Of all the Rule 5 guys we've had, I'd say Santander is easily the most promising of them all.  He certainly has looked good lately. 

6 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Do we agree that our teams would have been better equipped to win if we never even bothered with the Rule 5?

No but if you changed this to better equipped to win if we never bother to fill holes and expect production from Rule 5 guys then I would say yes

11 minutes ago, weams said:

No. I don't.

9 minutes ago, andrewochs615 said:

No but if you changed this to better equipped to win if we never bother to fill holes and expect production from Rule 5 guys then I would say yes

Yeah it seem like in hindsight we were trotting our really bad and tired bullpen arms a lot of the time.  Our staff ERA was always high (still is), and I seem to remember inherited runners scoring all the time.

maybe it is apples and oranges, but championship teams do not have roster space for Rule 5 dudes.

• Upvote 1

Flaherty was a great utility guy to have on some good ball clubs for several years.  He certainly served his purpose as a cheap guy who could do a little bit of everything. 

As far as finding an every day quality MLB player I think Santander looks to be the most promising. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I keep forgetting Flaherty was a Rule 5 guy.

For some reason I automatically associate our Rule 5 picks with terrible pitchers and not position players.

The only one who did anything was Flaherty.  Overall I think we would have been better off without them.  Since the rules changed it is too hard to get anyone worth it.  We had the first pick overall this year and the best we could get is Martin.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

The only one who did anything was Flaherty.  Overall I think we would have been better off without them.  Since the rules changed it is too hard to get anyone worth it.  We had the first pick overall this year and the best we could get is Martin.  

At least Martin can play SS well and filled an immediate need.  Most of the time we have just been picking guys for the sake of picking them, and hoping they work out.

Here we are.

I think the change to the rule 5, the slotting for the draft and slots for international players are all examples of the owners slowly chipping away at pre mlb players rights.  And The players association hasn’t cared as it hasn’t effected current players.  They also made the luxury cap penalties stiffer.  The union has become pretty weak.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think the change to the rule 5, the slotting for the draft and slots for international players are all examples of the owners slowly chipping away at pre mlb players rights.  And The players association hasn’t cared as it hasn’t effected current players.  They also made the luxury cap penalties stiffer.  The union has become pretty weak.

Its like boiling a frog slowly.  They don’t realize it until it is too late.

No matter what they change, it doesn’t change the fact that the 25 man roster spot is way too valuable for contending teams.

so we decide every year, before the season even starts, that we are not going to be a contending team just on the basis of trying to keep a Rule 5 guy.