Is Santander the best of the Rule 5’s?

AceKing

2 hours ago, AceKing said:

Obv not the best in baseball over the last few years, but is he the best of the bunch from these past several years (the years since we seem to have them every year)?

I hope he continues to get better....he sure is a tough out right now.

It might actually be interesting to expand the question to rule 5 picks across all of baseball. I imagine there must be some good ones other there, but I have little exposure to other teams R5 picks. 

35 minutes ago, 99ct said:

It might actually be interesting to expand the question to rule 5 picks across all of baseball. I imagine there must be some good ones other there, but I have little exposure to other teams R5 picks. 

A very limited and sporatic list from a few minutes of searching: Roberto Clemente, Grover Cleveland, Johan Santana, Josh Hamilton, Darren O'Day, R.A. Dickey, Everth Cabrera, Marwin Gonzalez, Odubel Herrera, Hector Rondon, Tommy Kahnle, Justin Bour, Shane Victorino, Jose Bautista, George Bell, Bobby Bonilla, Dan Uggla, Joakim Soria, Alejandro de Aza, TJ McFarland.. for starters.

Flaherty was good. He played a great 3B during the 2014 season in Manny’s absence. TJ McFarland was good and is apparently doing well for the Diamondbacks. They didn’t have much WAR, but they were both valuable contributors.

I think Toronto’s Joe Biagini is the best pick of the last several years by a lot, and Odubel Herrera was a great pick by the Phillies, but he regressed last year or so.

Santander can end up being a valuable player and I’m glad we have him.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sessh said:

.. of course, I just realized you were probably talking about R5 picks that might be available in the next draft, but hopefully useful nonetheless.

I was thinking of current players on mlb rosters but the discussion is interesting even with broader scope. Thanks for pointing DOD out, I didn’t realize he was rule 5 as well

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rickard and Flaherty both started in playoff games. That’s impressive for a rule 5.

Yes, people too easily forget that Flaherty played a very important role for us in the postseason: 9 for 32 (.281) with two bombs, four walks, 5 RBIs, and his invaluable versatility in the field.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Flaherty was good. He played a great 3B during the 2014 season in Manny’s absence. TJ McFarland was good and is apparently doing well for the Diamondbacks. They didn’t have much WAR, but they were both valuable contributors.

I think Toronto’s Joe Biagini is the best pick of the last several years by a lot, and Odubel Herrera was a great pick by the Phillies, but he regressed last year or so.

Santander can end up being a valuable player and I’m glad we have him.

Flaherty, McFarland, and Rickard were all flawed but useful players.  It would be nice if Santander could be an everyday player.  He is playing well.

4 hours ago, LA2 said:

Yes, people too easily forget that Flaherty played a very important role for us in the postseason: 9 for 32 (.281) with two bombs, four walks, 5 RBIs, and his invaluable versatility in the field.

Made a great play at 3rd in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

Lets use Martin as an example. Instead of staying up all year with the big club, knowing he is over matched at the plate.  Offering Oakland 250k to keep him on the 40 man roster and allow him to play at AAA.  Oakland most likely would take the money and Baltimore would most likely pay the amount to allow him to move too AAA.  Or a figure up to 500k might be appropriate.  

Just now, sylvester said:

Lets use Martin as an example. Instead of staying up all year with the big club, knowing he is over matched at the plate.  Offering Oakland 250k to keep him on the 40 man roster and allow him to play at AAA.  Oakland most likely would take the money and Baltimore would most likely pay the amount to allow him to move too AAA.  Or a figure up to 500k might be appropriate.  

I’m fine leaving Martin in Baltimore.    It’s not like we’ve got some phenom SS ready to be called up to replace him.    

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's a low bar.  

Moose, I don't disagree but the rule 5 usually has lower expectations anyway. The players aren't typically ready to be at the majors. They are taken from the rich and the poor tries to hold onto them as away to improve the talent base. Most are returned to the minors for more seasoning the following season.

So far at 22, which is still young for a major leaguer by most standards. Santander has a .280 BA, 5 HR, 20ish RBI, and an OPS of .750 in 150ish ABs. I think it's safe to assume he can continue to improve some more into his late 20s. 

If he ends up with a .280-.290 AVG, and a .340-.350 OBP, has 20-25 HRs , 100ish RBI, and a .800 OPS I think everyone would agree that he was a nice find. 

And basically picked up by the Orioles for a bare minimum expense

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Moose, I don't disagree but the rule 5 usually has lower expectations anyway. The players aren't typically ready to be at the majors. They are taken from the rich and the poor tries to hold onto them as away to improve the talent base. Most are returned to the minors for more seasoning the following season.

So far at 22, which is still young for a major leaguer by most standards. Santander has a .280 BA, 5 HR, 20ish RBI, and an OPS of .750 in 150ish ABs. I think it's safe to assume he can continue to improve some more into his late 20s. 

If he ends up with a .280-.290 AVG, and a .340-.350 OBP, has 20-25 HRs , 100ish RBI, and a .800 OPS I think everyone would agree that he was a nice find. 

And basically picked up by the Orioles for a bare minimum expense

Thoughts?

He's actually 24 now.

• Upvote 1