Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

20 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Adley hit his first Shorebirds home run tonight. 

More important than perhaps the HR, one can barely see my son and I.  Look at the last Shorebird in the dugout wearing the full grey hoodie.  That's my bald head and black shirt and my son in his orange Os gear right next to me blocking a fuller view of that Shorebird.  

• Upvote 3

On 8/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, DirtyBird said:

Will Adley ever get a hit with Delmarva?

Rutschman appears to be a slow starter who needs time to get used to his surroundings. The guy's gotten off to very rough starts at the GCL, Aberdeen, and now Delmarva. He also put up pretty poor numbers during his freshman year at Oregon State as well. Sort of makes me think that he won't rise through the system as quickly as everybody thinks he will. 

Just now, TINSTAAPP said:

Rutschman appears to be a slow starter who needs time to get used to his surroundings. The guy's gotten off to very rough starts at the GCL, Aberdeen, and now Delmarva. He also put up pretty poor numbers during his freshman year at Oregon State as well. Sort of makes me think that he won't rise through the system as quickly as everybody thinks he will. 

Or possibly he was recovering from mono.   And it's been a week at Delmarva.

I will say his line is kind of intriguing to me right now.   27 PA there with 3 hits, 4 BB, and 4 K's.   That means there are a lot of balls going into play,  but idk how we can tell at this point how unlucky he has been.   You would think 19 balls in play would result in more than 3 hits in most cases.

I've seen nothing yet to dissuade me from May 1, 2021 give or take a few weeks.  His chance for Opening Day 2021 depends on if he can "figure out what he needs to work on" like Eloy Jimenez and Brandon Lowe did in spring training this year.  I'm hopeful we won't Super Two goof around that year (if those rules even still prevail then) because I do put some value on him getting 500 PA's not 250 PA's then as we prepare for a relevant 2022.

If our competitive window was nearly open like the White Sox (and he didn't fall sick), he'd be getting the Andrew Vaughn timeline.

7 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

I'm guessing he starts next season at Frederick. I am surprised to see he hasn't been able to hit South Atlantic League pitching so far. 3-30 is not a good look for a guy that was considered a premium, close to MLB ready hitter.

It means nothing, it’s 9 games, remember when people were saying this stuff in Aberdeen. 

It can be a tough concept, but performance doesn’t equal results, especially in small samples. 

• Upvote 4

Being a catcher, each time he joins a new team there is an immediate need to learn the pitching staff. He needs to catch some sides to get a feel for things. He is likely going to miss out on some BP, or at least his side work, in favor of working with his pitchers. 

First pro summer, had a 6-8 week lay off, had a hectic schedule of travel on the awards circuit, media circus everywhere he goes, had mono, changed teams (and moved/packed/unpacked) three times in about 6 weeks, had to learn new pitchers and such...I think I will give the man a break if he hasn’t crushed right away at Delmarva. Just watch him play, seriously. This guy is really special in many ways. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2019 at 7:31 AM, fansince1988 said:

I'm guessing he starts next season at Frederick. I am surprised to see he hasn't been able to hit South Atlantic League pitching so far. 3-30 is not a good look for a guy that was considered a premium, close to MLB ready hitter.

He wont be the MVP of International League at 22.  That is for sure.