Chris Davis time coming to an end?

jarman86

1 minute ago, jarman86 said:

Right, that is my point, if he doesn't agree to AAA, that would I believe void the contract.  I heard this on a broadcast this year from another team that made me think I'm not entirely wrong in this thought process, but again MLB contracts are a different animal with different sets of rules. 

Davis would be a fool to void his contract by refusing a demotion. Pretty sure that rule doesn't exist or else he would likely be stashed in A ball somewhere.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Davis would be a fool to void his contract by refusing a demotion. Pretty sure that rule doesn't exist or else he would likely be stashed in A ball somewhere.

It doesn't. Worst case is Davis would be DFA-ed and still get the remainder of his contract. I'm sure Davis would be all torn up about it. ??????

Just wondering- does releasing a player change the payout structure of a contract? Hypothetically, if Davis is released, would he be owed all the money remaining on the deal immediately if an agreement stating otherwise was not reached?

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

And I'd be curious whether it exists or not because I don't see Davis refusing if he were designated and it were to void his contract cause he would be a fool.  I don't see the Orioles designating him because they would look the fool for having the highest paid minor leaguer in history, knocking Rusney Castillo from that pedestal. 

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

Just wondering- does releasing a player change the payout structure of a contract? Hypothetically, if Davis is released, would he be owed all the money remaining on the deal immediately if an agreement stating otherwise was not reached?

Only guessing but I assume he should be paid as if were still playing, ie regular checks during the season and deferred money when it was originally due. The team is not breaching the contract, just releasing him from his responsibility.

7 minutes ago, theocean said:

No.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It doesn't. Worst case is Davis would be DFA-ed and still get the remainder of his contract. I'm sure Davis would be all torn up about it. ??????

Actually, it does.  "If a player with Article XIX-A rights is outrighted and elects to be a free-agent immediately, his contract is terminated and he receives no termination pay. But if the player accepts the Outright Assignment and defers his right to be a free-agent until the conclusion of the MLB regular season, the player continues to get paid, receiving the balance of his salary through to the end of the season. And then if the outrighted player is not subsequently added back to an MLB 40-man roster prior to the conclusion of the MLB regular season, the player can elect free-agency anytime beginning on the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season through October 15th."

However, there is also this, which explains why it hasn't been done...."If a player with Article XIX-A rights refuses an Outright Assignment but does not elect free-agency, the club must either retain the player on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster), trade the player, or give the player his unconditional release."

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Actually, it does.  "If a player with Article XIX-A rights is outrighted and elects to be a free-agent immediately, his contract is terminated and he receives no termination pay. But if the player accepts the Outright Assignment and defers his right to be a free-agent until the conclusion of the MLB regular season, the player continues to get paid, receiving the balance of his salary through to the end of the season. And then if the outrighted player is not subsequently added back to an MLB 40-man roster prior to the conclusion of the MLB regular season, the player can elect free-agency anytime beginning on the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season through October 15th."

However, there is also this, which explains why it hasn't been done...."If a player with Article XIX-A rights refuses an Outright Assignment but does not elect free-agency, the club must either retain the player on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster), trade the player, or give the player his unconditional release."

This is the part that matters when it comes to Davis and why the Orioles can't just send him to AAA. Davis says no and stays on the roster or the Orioles release him. Or they could trade Davis, but we know that isn't happening.

Davis barring a positive drug test or other suspension is getting paid, and it's waste of time to discuss otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is the part that matters when it comes to Davis and why the Orioles can't just send him to AAA. Davis says no and stays on the roster or the Orioles release him. Or they could trade Davis, but we know that isn't happening.

Davis barring a positive drug test or other suspension is getting paid, and it's waste of time to discuss otherwise. 

He'd stay on the 40 man roster, but at least we could bring someone up on the 25 man roster.  That's how the section reads.  Davis would be on the reserve list.  Honestly, I'd rather do that and have him eat an empty 40 man spot, have Mancini at 1st, and bring up an outfielder, than see the crap he's doing.  Only negative is it would probably ruin the relationship between Davis and the Orioles, but at this point, barring adjustments, does it really matter?

3 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

He'd stay on the 40 man roster, but at least we could bring someone up on the 25 man roster.  That's how the section reads.  Davis would be on the reserve list.  Honestly, I'd rather do that and have him eat an empty 40 man spot, have Mancini at 1st, and bring up an outfielder, than see the crap he's doing.  Only negative is it would probably ruin the relationship between Davis and the Orioles, but at this point, barring adjustments, does it really matter?

Orioles don't seem interested in doing that. That might happen in 2020 with Mountcastle and others being ready for the major leagues. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If there is a strike and Davis strikes with the other players, he won't be paid.  But what happens if he is released before a potential strike?  Would he still be on strike with the other players even if the O's released him?  Or would the O's be on the hook for the guaranteed contract?  

1 hour ago, EricK said:

If there is a strike and Davis strikes with the other players, he won't be paid.  But what happens if he is released before a potential strike?  Would he still be on strike with the other players even if the O's released him?  Or would the O's be on the hook for the guaranteed contract?  

Ok now we've DEFINITELY come at the Davis thing from every angle possible.

5 hours ago, jarman86 said:

Might just be me, but seems like in post game quotes, Hyde is running tired on excuses with Davis.  In the Baltimore Sun article after the Arizona series, he was quoted as saying about Chris something to the effect of "you've got to make changes to your approach."  He was positive about Villar getting out of slump but didn't appear to offer same positivity about Davis.  Thoughts?  Could Elias/Hyde convince the Angelos brothers to cut their losses?  Honest question, I'm familiar with contracts, but not MLB contracts, can we DFA Davis to Triple A and if he refuses the assignment, void the contract and not owe him any guaranteed money? 

Approach isn't going to save Davis.  Purely by plate discipline numbers his approach is better than it's ever been.  His problem is loft.  Not the launch angle sort of loft.  Lack of effing talent.

5 hours ago, jarman86 said:

Might just be me, but seems like in post game quotes, Hyde is running tired on excuses with Davis.  In the Baltimore Sun article after the Arizona series, he was quoted as saying about Chris something to the effect of "you've got to make changes to your approach."  He was positive about Villar getting out of slump but didn't appear to offer same positivity about Davis.  Thoughts?  Could Elias/Hyde convince the Angelos brothers to cut their losses?  Honest question, I'm familiar with contracts, but not MLB contracts, can we DFA Davis to Triple A and if he refuses the assignment, void the contract and not owe him any guaranteed money? 

I hope so.