Chris Davis time coming to an end?

jarman86

Might just be me, but seems like in post game quotes, Hyde is running tired on excuses with Davis.  In the Baltimore Sun article after the Arizona series, he was quoted as saying about Chris something to the effect of "you've got to make changes to your approach."  He was positive about Villar getting out of slump but didn't appear to offer same positivity about Davis.  Thoughts?  Could Elias/Hyde convince the Angelos brothers to cut their losses?  Honest question, I'm familiar with contracts, but not MLB contracts, can we DFA Davis to Triple A and if he refuses the assignment, void the contract and not owe him any guaranteed money? 

14 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

Honest question, I'm familiar with contracts, but not MLB contracts, can we DFA Davis to Triple A and if he refuses the assignment, void the contract and not owe him any guaranteed money? 

No - the money is guaranteed unless he retires or injures himself, at which point insurance would probably pick up a good chunk of it.

I was thinking this also when they started to bench him more, but then we heard those quotes from Elias that sort of made me think twice. I'm pretty convinced he's here for the duration of the season, and perhaps next season. It's tough to say now. There's very little to compare it to and Peter is still a factor despite the recent good changes to management/development/international etc. He's still there, and Davis was his guy. He likes to see contracts played out. 

But I can't shake the vibe the OP hints at either. Davis was a defensive replacement in a 16 inning game last night and didn't get an AB. 

As long a Elias sees the O's being a losing team there is little incentive to go to ownership and ask them to eat  Davis' contract.   Elias probably thinks he is going to have a losing team the rest of this season and  all of next season.   So IMO its a moot point until 2021  at the earliest.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm resigned to the idea that he'll be on the roster next year.  Honestly, I'll be surprised if he isn't.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As long a Elias sees the O's being a losing team there is little incentive to go to ownership and ask them to eat  Davis' contract.   Elias probably thinks he is going to have a losing team the rest of this season and  all of next season.   So IMO its a moot point until 2021  at the earliest.

I cannot believe that his spot is not needed before next year.  But I guess the losing part and an extra roster spot could mean they keep him...but I don't see why.  Lousy performance even from a good guy is not going to help the Orioles rebuild.  

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I cannot believe that his spot is not needed before next year.  But I guess the losing part and an extra roster spot could mean they keep him...but I don't see why.  Lousy performance even from a good guy is not going to help the Orioles rebuild.  

If Villar and Mancini both get traded, it's very easy to carry Davis next year. Mancini probably won't be traded, though, so it's a little tougher but still no tougher than this year. Mountcastle could be playing LF or RF for all we know. Or just getting the majority of the starts at 1B while Davis rides the bench. Hays could bump Wilkerson or get injured again. It's gonna require multiple position player prospects pushing the roster simultaneously. 

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Dont know, but it wouldnt be a Hyde decision. Hyde is stuck with him no matter what he thinks about Davis. 

Aware of this, but if you have Elias and Hyde pushing for a move to ownership, it is likely Hyde might not be stuck with him is my point.  Not sure how much pull they have with the Angelos brothers and the brothers seem more open to ideas and personnel changes than Peter was, but it seems like you have a manager who is no longer on Chris Davis side because he won't make adjustments.  If you get GM on board, that may sway to eat the costs. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

And he can't be banished to AAA without his consent.

Right, that is my point, if he doesn't agree to AAA, that would I believe void the contract.  I heard this on a broadcast this year from another team that made me think I'm not entirely wrong in this thought process, but again MLB contracts are a different animal with different sets of rules.