What if Mancini/Santander/Núñez are actually this good?

Frobby

1 minute ago, interloper said:

If they're out of options, sure. Worth noting it's his arm that is thought highly of, not necessarily his overall defense.

I'm thinking "very good defensive" catchers who are really cheap aren't getting sent down, even if they can't hit.  Geez the O's kept Caleb "0 RBI" Joseph for a season.

I do agree with your second point.

3 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Two words: juiced ball. Christian fricking Walker has 19 homeruns. Not to totally dismiss what these guys are doing, but you have to take into consideration how wonky this season is shaping up.

I'd love to see a study on if some hitters are helped more by the changes in the ball than others and if so by how much.  I would think guys with formerly warning track power would get much more of a boost than someone who hits big dongs when they connect but have a lot of swing and miss in their game.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd love to see a study on if some hitters are helped more by the changes in the ball than others and if so by how much.  I would think guys with formerly warning track power would get much more of a boost than someone who hits big dongs when they connect but have a lot of swing and miss in their game.

Chris Davis is not helped by the juiced balls. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Two words: juiced ball. Christian fricking Walker has 19 homeruns. Not to totally dismiss what these guys are doing, but you have to take into consideration how wonky this season is shaping up.

There are a lot of guys in the league slugging less than .500. These guys are performing above average, even if the bar is higher.

Counterpoint: Anyone remember Jimmy Paredes? He was great for a solid couple of months.

28 minutes ago, Finisher said:

That thought crossed my mind too. Not a good season to truly evaluate players.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm thinking "very good defensive" catchers who are really cheap aren't getting sent down, even if they can't hit.  Geez the O's kept Caleb "0 RBI" Joseph for a season.

This is the same club that bid against itself for the current Davis contract and who kept trotting out Ubaldo Jimenez.

I wouldn't use them as an example.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mancini .280/.339/.534

Santander .304/.344/.509

Nunez .256/.326/.521

That is really a pretty nice 2/3/4.    Mancini and Núñez have been doing it pretty much all year.    Santander has kind of come out of nowhere, though he looked like he had the potential for this if things went right when we chose him in the Rule 5 draft.    

If this turned out to be about the norm for those three, that would be a decent offensive core to build around.   Santander has shown himself to be a decent defender, too.

The Orioles are due some good luck with players. Fingers crossed. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Citing RBI stats to prove your point... in 2019 that is worth at least 5 demerits.