I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

I think there is little doubt that Villar is offered arbitration and brought back this off season. Now, if some team offers something decent this off season then I can see him traded, but I would not be surprised if he's the starting SS or 2B next year. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there is little doubt that Villar is offered arbitration and brought back this off season. Now, if some team offers something decent this off season then I can see him traded, but I would not be surprised if he's the starting SS or 2B next year. 

I think thats pretty much one of the few givens (No pun intended) that we know about the 2020 season.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Agree. 100% tender IMO. He's worth it as an above average stopgap until.... ??? is ready to play 2B/SS. I'm a little more interested in a Givens trade than a Villar one. But ultimately I don't know that either guy will bring you anything more useful than simply having them on the team.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Agree. 100% tender IMO. He's worth it as an above average stopgap until.... ??? is ready to play 2B/SS. I'm a little more interested in a Givens trade than a Villar one. But ultimately I don't know that either guy will bring you anything more useful than simply having them on the team.

Apparently they weren't worth much at the trading deadline so I don't see that changing this offseason. I think they will be both on the team next year and hopefully can be moved from some good talent next year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Does Villar bring back a promising low-level minor league shortstop if the O's kick in a few million dollars to help pay his salary?

No. A few million? Three Four? No one wanted him for net 2 earlier. He is not THAT much better a month later. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

No. A few million? Three Four? No one wanted him for net 2 earlier. He is not THAT much better a month later. 

Should be several new GMs by November. Maybe the new Red Sox head honcho will have given up on Pedroia ever returning.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not too connected with real baseball, but Fangraphs ranks Villar as the second best 2B for 2020 for purposes of fantasy baseball.    Obviously, steals count for a lot there.   https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/top-30-second-basemen-for-2020/

Baseball might be more fun if an average steal was worth the same number of runs as an average homer.  Instead of how it is in real life, where a homer is worth seven times as much.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Baseball might be more fun if an average steal was worth the same number of runs as an average homer.  Instead of how it is in real life, where a homer is worth seven times as much.

HR get you H, RBI, and R all in one swing, so I wouldn't say a SB is worth just as much in fantasy.