I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, Spl51 said:

The fact that you think this cratering is a plan and not forced on them given the circumstances, show that you haven't been paying attention. This is the beginning of the process to get to a new system, not the middle of it.

What? Forced on them that they can't keep an $8 million per year player when they payroll is $100 million cheaper than it was a couple of year ago.

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Pretty disappointing they don't want to put a watchable team on the field with players that fans know and like. I don't really care for the plan of cutting and burning the MLB roster to make a 2-3 year run every ten years. I would rather be a fan year in and year out and feel a connection with the players than be encouraged to ignore full seasons of Major League Baseball and jump back in when the team is good.

This model may be efficient in terms of maximizing championships but it isn't good for the long term growth of the sport.

I would rather watch a decent team year in and year out that ebbs and flows between winning and losing than a team that craters regularly but has a 10 percent better chance of winning a championship in the good years because of the craters.

If I have an asset worth,1B I have certain expectations about the income I will be receiving.

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

If we can't work out a trade for Villar it means every single team didn't think he is worth his projected arbitration salary either, so let's not act like it is just the O's being cheap. 

What is 3 WAR worth in annual salary? Dont be fooled....This is just more Angelos Family Tom Foolery!

Please move the team to Nasville John Angelos!

We can lure the Rays and start over with a new owner

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

If we can't work out a trade for Villar it means every single team didn't think he is worth his projected arbitration salary either, so let's not act like it is just the O's being cheap. 

Not exactly.  They might just think they can get him cheaper as a free agent.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

What is 3 WAR worth in annual salary? Dont be fooled....This is just more Angelos Family Tom Foolery!

Please move the team to Nasville John Angelos!

It's cratering. But maybe 18 to a team competing. Evidently the league thinks he is not 3 WAR and that  WAR is much less valuable than it had been thought. 

2 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Fans usually get sentimental over their own team's players, but this is the correct take on Villar. It just might seem worse because he is one of the few starting caliber players on the team. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not exactly.  They might just think they can get him cheaper as a free agent.

If they thought he was worth that, they would have secured him by trading. As a FA there will be no surety. And certainly not just a one year deal. 

It is a process that needs to be gone through in the case of Jonathan Villar. 

He was to get North of $10 Million in arbitration. 

He was shopped to all 29 Teams with No Takers. 

He MAY have been offered a two/three year deal and turned it down which put the writing on the wall as to the intent of Villar's agent.

He now will be Non-Tendered after making it through waivers which will allow him to become a Free Agent.

The Orioles can still sign him to a contract once he declares Free Agency but only if willing to play for what the Orioles offer.  The Orioles will not be obligated to pay him $10 Million plus  in a free agent year.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Fans usually get sentimental over their own team's players, but this is the correct take on Villar. It just might seem worse because he is one of the few starting caliber players on the team. 

His stats are not lies and are

Just now, weams said:

They have admired that team concept. 

And they hopefully will get to admire the drop in attendance!