I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’d like to see a rule giving mi or leaguers a minimum salary. Even If the minor league teams are independently owned, that’s what we really need most. Not extra millions for Manny or Angelos, but reasonable thousands for the Corbin Josephs of the world.

I'm guessing that some of the Indy league teams are operating on a tight enough margin that some would fold.  Just FYI.

1 minute ago, weams said:

This is factual. Not fun. But factual. Two million was spent on fliers and Hobgood was overpaid by several as well.  It was poorly done.

I don’t follow the draft that closely and not the kind of guy who gets mad about whom the team picks as I don’t know the players.  But I was mad The day Hobgood was picked.  He was just so obviously a terrible pick. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Actually I've gone back and read the Hobgood draft thread and had a number of chuckles out of it.  I was just stupefied that anyone thought the pick was a good idea.

I thought he was McDonald's player of the year. What did I know. Hobgood put together Joe Jordan. Joe Jordan put together me. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

@Ohfan67   Nice double retaliatory REP! Sir ..... Have some class!

The second one was an accident. I am in the middle of nowhere with poor cell coverage. 

I totally applaud the move. I want the Orioles to be well run. I want them to build a winning organization. Overpaying for a mediocre player is dumb. A high draft pick next year is worth more than 2020 Villar. And it’s not even close. I am entertained by the Os making smart moves. We had almost a decade of overpaying mediocre players and it was misery. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Actually I've gone back and read the Hobgood draft thread and had a number of chuckles out of it.  I was just stupefied that anyone thought the pick was a good idea.

I remember the year they drafted Hobgiod was  in the restaurant that became Dempsey's.I think Tom Davis and Dave Johnson were interviewing him.The ususl overhyping of whoever they drafted. Seemed like a nice enough chap and was there with his Mom. .Life goes by fast and furious. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

I remember the year they drafted Hobgiod was  in the restaurant that became Dempsey's.I think Tom Davis and Dave Johnson were interviewing him.The ususl overhyping of whoever they drafted. Seemed like a nice enough chap and was there with his Mom. .Life goes by fast and furious. 

He was a heavier boy when I met him in Sarasota. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean, I could quote Astroball.

Look, I HATED the Hobgood pick, go back and check.  I despised it.  But they weren't being cheap and if your argument is centered around them not spending that draft isn't supporting evidence.

Not saying you didn't hate it

I have hated the Angelos ownership from nearly the day he purchased the team. He ran it into the ground, made a deal with the devil causing the fiasco with the GNATS, not allowed good baseball people like Pat Gillick run the operations, and now his sons are doing this crap.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they don't do everything.  They have actually been mindful of the soft cap in recent years.

If winning is the difference maker are you fine with how the Rays conduct business?  They win a lot of games.

No the Rays approach is not fan friendly and thats why despite being successful they have no fan base. Watching your favorite players leave every  year sucks as a fan of the team.

But atleast they trade them and not DFA their best players over salary

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I have hated the Angelos ownership from nearly the day he purchased the team. He ran it into the ground, made a deal with the devil causing the fiasco with the GNATS, not allowed good baseball people like Pat Gillick run the operations, and now his sons are doing this crap.

No the Rays approach is not fan friendly and thats why despite being successful they have no fan base. Watching your favorite players leave every  year sucks as a fan of the team.

Bit more to it.

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I've not heard a negative word about him as a person.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

And the Ray's aeem to trade their pitchers at the right time.Archer and Price.Very nice return for Archer.