I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...or Roch for that matter. I know these waiver rules are complicated and ever changing, but is it really too much to ask a sport's reporter to have a thorough understanding of them? 

Andy MacPhail tried to explain them to me simply several years ago. I'm not sure I have it right anyway. Or that they have not changed. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another way to look at this: if another team had put Villar on waivers, would you want the O’s to claim him and be bound to arbitrate with him?    If not, then why be upset that we put him on waivers and might non-tender him?

Nice take. Thanks. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Andy MacPhail tried to explain them to me simply several years ago. I'm not sure I have it right anyway. Or that they have not changed. 

There are or were multiple types of waivers available between certain dates. Multiple. 

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...or Roch for that matter. I know these waiver rules are complicated and ever changing, but is it really too much to ask a sport's reporter to have a thorough understanding of them? 

I like Roch, but don’t the Orioles pretty much spoon feed him everything. I’m not reading Roch for hard hitting analysis. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I like Roch, but don’t the Orioles pretty much spoon feed him everything. I’m not reading Roch for hard hitting analysis. 

The Orioles never confirmed that Villar had been placed on waivers. Another team leaked that info when his name appeared on their list. The team is never going to feed Roch info about a situation that is unconfirmed. And no one told Dempsey. 

Another thing that needs to be noted is that Jonathan Villar has never been Outrighted/Waived before which changes the standard a little.  If he had been previously Outrighted/Waived he would have immediately been a Free Agent at the conclusion of the waiver period.  He now has the right to refuse his Outright Assignment and then the other options become relevant.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

True, but he's not a stenographer. I would think when the team shares news with him he would ask follow-up questions based on what he thinks the general public would ask. 

Just now, thezeroes said:

Another thing that needs to be noted is that Jonathan Villar has never been Outrighted/Waived before which changes the standard a little.  If he had been previously Outrighted/Waived he would have immediately been a Free Agent at the conclusion of the waiver period.  He now has the right to refuse his Outright Assignment and then the other options become relevant.

Gotcha, but I think if he clears we're all expecting him to opt for free agency in hopes of capitalizing on his career year. I think that's the best case scenario for him because his value may never be higher. 

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I think his service time precludes that. 

Outright waivers

Outright waivers are used when a team wants to send a player to the minors but he is out of options. If the player clears waivers, he may be outrighted to the minor leagues.

However, a player may only be outrighted once during his career without his consent. When a player is outrighted for the second time or more, he may elect to become a free agent either immediately, if during the season, or as soon as the season is over, unless he is added back to the 40-man roster. This is why Tyler Collins can — and probably will — elect free agency.

A player with three years of major league service may also refuse an outright assignment and choose to become a free agent immediately or at the end of the season. Alex Presley, who has over four years of service time in the majors, rejected his outright assignment and chose free agency.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/11/3/16601560/mlb-waivers-options-dfa-designated-assignment-glossary