40 man additions for rule 5 protection?

HowAboutThat

I’m sure this has been covered but I missed it.

who must be added to the 40-man to be protected from the Rule 5 Draft?

Bearing in mind that we will certainly make at least one Rule 5 Pick ourselves, we’re going to need-probably-two 40-man spots. But not till December.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, Philip said:

So seven spots need to be opened up. Plus at least one for our own annual rule 5 pick. That will be a fun process.

True, but it's not really an issue like it is for teams like the Rays or Astros.

There are about 15 DFA-worthy players on the 40 man roster right now. If anything, Elias will struggle to fill it this winter. I would bet Dwight Smith, Cody Caroll, Luis Ortiz, Yacabonis, Tayler Scott, Rio Ruiz, Rondon, Chris Davis, Brooks, Hess, Sheppard, Steve Wilkerson, and Jace Peterson would all clear waivers. Plus some other bullpen guys on the roster are questionable right now.

3 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Based on quick research, these are the prominent names that have to be added to the 40 man roster to be protected from the Rule 5 draft.

Keegan Akin

Ryan Mountcastle

Dean Kremer

Cody Sedlock

Ryan McKenna

Yusniel Diaz

Ofelky Peralta

Peralta is not even doing well at Frederick.  I don't think he needs to be protected.    Alvarado is doing well in relief  at AA, so he is someone to consider protecting.

2 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

True, but it's not really an issue like it is for teams like the Rays or Astros.

There are about 15 DFA-worthy players on the 40 man roster right now. If anything, Elias will struggle to fill it this winter. I would bet Dwight Smith, Cody Caroll, Luis Ortiz, Yacabonis, Tayler Scott, Rio Ruiz, Rondon, Chris Davis, Brooks, Hess, Sheppard, Steve Wilkerson, and Jace Peterson would all clear waivers. Plus some other bullpen guys on the roster are questionable right now.

The 40 man roster crunch is a overblown. A poster above previously listed the players. I think we even have 2 spots free rule 5 picks. Hopefully there is a 3B, SS, and P options available. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There is a good chance neither is added but you are comparing Alvarado as a reliever in AA to Peralta as a starter in High A.  Apples and Oranges.   Peralta might be interesting if also converted to relief.  

You really think that any team is going to put Peralta on their 25 man roster when the highest level he has had success at is the Sally League?

I do not think Peralta would be selected in the Rule 5, and I wouldn’t be broken-hearted if he was.    I’m not saying he has zero chance of developing into a major leaguer, but I think there is zero chance he would stick with a major league team next year even if selected.

The need to protect players on the 40-man, combined with the fact that he'll finally be blocking players from being called up (Mancini to first full-time lets us bring up Hays if warranted and Mountcastle as DH), makes me think/hope/pray that they finally cut their losses with Davis in the off-season.

10 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

The need to protect players on the 40-man, combined with the fact that he'll finally be blocking players from being called up (Mancini to first full-time lets us bring up Hays if warranted and Mountcastle as DH), makes me think/hope/pray that they finally cut their losses with Davis in the off-season.

The league moving to 26 players next season makes it easier for the O's to carry Davis on the major league active roster.

Archived