Sub .200 Hitters

Bahama O's Fan

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I don't know if anyone has kept track of this but how many sub .200 hitters have been in our lineup this year? How many lineups have had at least one sub .200 hitter in it. If there's a record we have got to be close to breaking it right?

We have Mullins, Davis, Martin, and Peterson.  So the Orioles have 4 using 40 at bats and nonpitchers.

I'm not sure but there would have to be a minimum ABs to qualify and Pitchers likely wouldn't qualify. 

Stewart would need 16 more at bats to Qualify.

Also Rickard, Broxton, and Sucre were over .200 and all are off the team.

The next lowest average is Wilkerson in the low .220s.

I have to imagine some other rebuilding club has had more than 5.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

We have Mullins, Davis, Martin, and Peterson.  So the Orioles have 4 using 40 at bats and nonpitchers.

I'm not sure but there would have to be a minimum ABs to qualify and Pitchers likely wouldn't qualify. 

Stewart would need 16 more at bats to Qualify.

Also Rickard, Broxton, and Sucre were over .200 and all are off the team.

The next lowest average is Wilkerson in the low .220s.

I have to imagine some other rebuilding club has had more than 5.

If it wasn't for Sisco's hot start he would be in that group. I fully expect him to teeter on the Mendoza line soon. 

2 hours ago, Triple Crown said:

If it wasn't for Sisco's hot start he would be in that group. I fully expect him to teeter on the Mendoza line soon. 

I would have thought that after last year that would have been changed to the Davis line.

Technically speaking you’d have to have enough ABs to qualify just as you do to qualify for the batting title.

So Martin and Davis are the only players that would even have a chance to qualify.

So the real answer is ... We only have 2?

The qualifying requirements for league leadership in a hitting category are based on plate appearances, not at-bats, so as not to penalize hitters who draw a lot of walks. In order to qualifyfor a batting title, a player needs 3.1 plate appearances per scheduled game, or 502 PA over a 162-game schedule.