Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Translation: ownership won't reconsider eating the rest of Davis' contract until after the 2019 season. 

Yes, but it's the first glimmer of hope that they will consider giving Elias the greenlight to release Davis and end this nightmare for everyone involved.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, but it's the first glimmer of hope that they will consider giving Elias the greenlight to release Davis and end this nightmare for everyone involved.

Yes. It does sound like there is at least a little chance that it might happen.

40 minutes ago, Sessh said:

I'm glad it did. I only wish there were more episodes and more umpires wearing mics during his arguments.

I guess you know the fight with the umps was real. "The only reason you guys are here..." is real. And 100% Earl. ?

23 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I guess you know the fight with the umps was real. "The only reason you guys are here..." is real. And 100% Earl. ?

Yeah, I know the Weaver/Haller thing was totally real. That's great stuff. They were arguing for like five minutes and weren't arguing about the call at all. I watch that and can't help but think they are both enjoying the hell out of the whole thing on some level.

3 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Yeah, I know the Weaver/Haller thing was totally real. That's great stuff. They were arguing for like five minutes and weren't arguing about the call at all. I watch that and can't help but think they are both enjoying the hell out of the whole thing on some level.

I don't think so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1981/05/20/umps-return-venom-on-weaver/6398726b-cf39-4fd8-8e05-02f9ecdd7e96/

Taken as a group, the 27 umpires of the American League have a dislike for Earl Weaver that approaches hate. It is an honest, seriously meant and personal contempt. To them, Weaver is not a showman; he is the symbol of the professional disrespect, the cruel and unusual punishment they encounter everywhere.

"(Earl) Weaver is a militant midget," said American League umpire Steve Palermo. "He just uses us umpires as props in his circus act. We're straight men for his comedy. But baseball is not a circus and the game is not Earl's show. It's not 1892 anymore, where umpires are wooden Indians for the fans to boo. Umpires have earned more dignity now. Like anything else, the times are a changin'. It's a difficult world as Earl may be finding out."

AL umpire Larry Barnett:

"Once you've run (ejected) Weaver, he's like a recalcitrant child that can't accept authority and its enforcement. He goes through the whole log book of everything you've ever done to him. He's an ancient historian. You know, we all spend a lot of time worrying about that little man that's not really necessary . . . I've never seen him do anything funny. No, I take it back. I once saw him slip and fall coming out of the dugout. That was funny."

AL umpire Nick Bremigan:

"Weaver just goes goofy like a raving lunatic . . . he's like a nightmare that just keeps coming back . . . raspy voice, 4-foot-2 . . . to me, he's the real ayatollah of the '80s . . . I think his bad relations with umpires hurt his club. Human nature tells you that. You're move of a man not to take it out on his players and I try extra hard not to. But human beings can be vindictive and umpires are human beings . . . His players think so, too. They've said to me, 'Oh, no, here he goes again. This isn't going to help us.' The question is, does he intimidate umpires or alienate umpires. How could you live with yourself if you let him intimidate you?"

Among the dozen umpires interviewed, none spoke well of Weaver and the almost unanimous consensus was voiced by Barnett, who said, "I respect Weaver as a manager, but I don't like him."

Good to hear Elias saying that the boorish display shouldn’t have happened in the dugout and on camera. There’s a time and a place, folks. That’s all there is to it.

Elias is the right GM for this club. Smart, respectful and strategic. I dig. 

No reason to cut Davis right now. Regardless of what conspiracy theorists rage about re: Angelos still pulling the strings. Let’s get this club some better talent so that we don’t have to hold on to players like Davis or wax poetically about DJ Stewart types.

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Also, I don’t think Chris Davis is responsible for the 20 runs given up by Brooks, Kline and Scott tonight. That’s not lack of effort. That’s lack of talent. Man, I can’t believe the state Duquette left this club in. Good luck, Elias.

To be fair, we'd probably be a better team on the field if Duquette was still here.   He'd probably have traded Lowther for Ivan Nova and Nova would be 8-13 with a 5.54 ERA for us, a big improvement over what we've gotten out of Brooks & Eshelman.   We'd have signed a veteran reliever for about $4 million who would be putting up a 4.50 ERA, better than we've gotten out of guys like Scott, Scott, and Yaco.

And Curtis Granderson would have solidified left field from the start of the season.

4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Also, I don’t think Chris Davis is responsible for the 20 runs given up by Brooks, Kline and Scott tonight. That’s not lack of effort. That’s lack of talent. Man, I can’t believe the state Duquette left this club in. Good luck, Elias.

In fairness to DD, Elias hasn’t done anything to improve the club.  When DD got here he came in and signed Chen and Gonzalez and Traded for Hammel before the season began.  Later in the season he traded for Saunders and he also singed Eveland and Ayala and traded for Lindstrom.  

Elias one move was signing a guy who was injured for 2 years and had an injury that players don’t come back from.  

5 hours ago, atomic said:

In fairness to DD, Elias hasn’t done anything to improve the club.  When DD got here he came in and signed Chen and Gonzalez and Traded for Hammel before the season began.  Later in the season he traded for Saunders and he also singed Eveland and Ayala and traded for Lindstrom.  

Elias one move was signing a guy who was injured for 2 years and had an injury that players don’t come back from.  

"No one TRADES for Dana Eveland. That's ridiculous!"

16 hours ago, 24fps said:

Maturity, restraint and tact as well. I’m sure Davis understands the full meaning of Elias not offering any pro forma GM-speak rubbish in his defense. That should speak loudly enough. 

...as will the club, via Elias, giving up on CD and finally ending this debacle in the off-season.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:27 AM, atomic said:

I would laugh, but honestly your stubborn refusal to understand what is going on is ridiculous. Comparing the situation of Duquette to Elias show how little you honestly understand. I would go on more, but it honestly is not worth the effort. You have literally become a caricature of yourself with this post. Congrats if that was what you were going for.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I would laugh, but honestly your stubborn refusal to understand what is going on is ridiculous. Comparing the situation of Duquette to Elias show how little you honestly understand. I would go on more, but it honestly it's not worth the effort. You have literally become a caricature of yourself with this post. Congrats if that was what you were going for.

I am just stating facts.  I prefer to judge the GM on what they do.  So far Elias hasn’t done anything to judge.  

Archived