Baltimore and Maryland Sports Fandom

Greg Pappas

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

O's and Redskins.  

To me, most Ravens fans are just butthurt ex Redskins fans that hate Snyder.  Which is funny, cause they root for a team owned by Angelos.  Some are diehard old Colts fans, that's understandable.  That said, I like the Ravens and root for them if I come across them on TV.  Root for them when they make the playoffs.  M&T is a fantastic stadium, I've thoroughly enjoyed it every time I've been.  

Terps football fans have always been funny.  I don't know of a single fanbase around here that tries so hard to think their team is relevant.  Even Skins fans can't do it as good as Terps fans.

Whats even funnier is the most exciting football game played at FedEx Field (the last several years?) was when the Terps beat Texas there last season.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t care less about the Ravens (though I was a big Colts fan back in the day), root mildly for the Terps but care more about my and my parents alma maters.

I don't get this attitude toward the Ravens.  I haven't even lived on the east coast since the Ravens moved to Baltimore, yet the for me the Ravens moving there were the most exciting thing to happen to Baltimore since the O's won the '83 World Series.  It was a huge shame when the Colts left, but so often they were nearly as bad as the Orioles are now.  With a team like the Ravens in Baltimore for so long now I find it mystifying anyone misses the Colts.  I love it when the Colts lose now -- hated the Peyton Manning teams.  

2 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I don't get this attitude toward the Ravens.  I haven't even lived on the east coast since the Ravens moved to Baltimore, yet the for me the Ravens moving there were the most exciting thing to happen to Baltimore since the O's won the '83 World Series.  It was a huge shame when the Colts left, but so often they were nearly as bad as the Orioles are now.  With a team like the Ravens in Baltimore for so long now I find it mystifying anyone misses the Colts.  I love it when the Colts lose now -- hated the Peyton Manning teams.  

Yeah. Well. THere was no football. And the heart wants what it wants. Sorry RavOs. 

2 hours ago, CheeryO said:

It’s not really an “attitude about the Ravens” for me.    After the Colts left, I switched my allegiances to the Broncos, because they had John Elway, who was the QB of Stanford while I was in law school there.   So when the Ravens came to Baltimore, I was otherwise occupied.   And I don’t really live in the Baltimore area, anyway.    I’m not anti-Ravens, I just don’t care about them one way or the other.   

I gave up on the Broncos when Elway retired, but just sort of lost any strong interest in football.    

I always feel a need to explain my fandom of whatever team because I am no longer in MD.

O's, Steelers after baseball season(grew up a Steelers family), Terps basketball and LAX, Ohio State football casually(Grandparents, Uncle a cousins either went there or live right there), Lance Armstrong when he was in the Tour de France(dont care one bit he was better at doping than the rest), Penguins when they are in the playoffs, and then Germany and Argentina in the World Cup.  USA for the Olympics.

I do watch a lot less sports in general now that I have a child, but just slightly less Os and only because they suck.  I was watching every game a couple of years ago and these past two I might be at 60%.  That might also be due to the child, but I am not watching any less scouting videos or highlights from stuff like the PanAm games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

OK, since you're from the DC area, why Colts over Redskins?  Also, Elway was at Stanford, but he also forced the Colts to trade him to Denver.

Why Orioles over Senators?    It’s simple.   I started getting interested in pro sports when I was 9 years old.    The Orioles and Colts were very good, while the Senators and Redskins were terrible.   So even though I lived in the DC suburbs, I told myself that since I lived in Maryland, I should be rooting for the Maryland teams.   And while I can correctly be accused of being a frontrunner, I stuck with my teams even when things went south.   

However, Irsay really made me puke, the way he treated Johnny Unitas and just the way he ran the team generally.    So when Elway forced that trade, I honestly didn’t blame him at all.    He simply didn’t want to play for an asshole owner. But I still stuck with the Colts, until the jerk moved the team out of town in the dead of night.    Then they were dead to me, and I switched my allegiance.    I never begrudged Elway what he did, because to me he did it to Irsay, not the Colts.   

o

We have 2 posters (that I know of) on the OH who have been rooting for the franchise since it played in St. Louis, as the Browns.

Here is a post of one of them from August of 2014, immediately following an Orioles victory over the St. Louis Cardinals.

On 8/8/2014 at 10:18 PM, Oriole1940 said:

If you all will indulge an old man for a moment. I waited 70 years, from the 1944 W.S. to beat the Cards. So I am saying my Browns/Orioles finally beat the Cards.

o

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

O's and Redskins.  

To me, most Ravens fans are just butthurt ex Redskins fans that hate Snyder.  

I find this statement to be strange bordering on weird. I’ve never met a Ravens fan who gives any kind of care to Dan Snyder or even thinks about the Redskins. My switch from the Redskins was seamless as my loyalties have always been to the city and not the franchise.

Orioles, Navy, Loyola and Ravens. If Navy plays Loyola, Loyola. I do not really cheer for Maryland, they are hardly a real state school in my mind because of their admissions standards for in state kids and the greed factor.  Towson has replaced them in this regard in my opinion. I apologize to the Terp alums on this site.

• Upvote 1