Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

36 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

This sentiment is shared by numerous members of this thread, and it perplexes me. The uniforms and colors are just laundry. If the existing franchise relocates, the history relocates. All the things I grew up watching relocate. To me, it'd be the end of having a favorite professional baseball team. Even if another one moved to Baltimore.

I don't think that has to happen.  That's just what some teams have done, and I think that's wrong.  The St. Louis Browns have no history in Baltimore.  There's no George Sisler statue here, and not one in 1000 Oriole fans could tell you who Harlond Clift or Kenny Williams were. If the Orioles moved to Nashville they certainly should have another name.  Orioles belongs to Baltimore and has for well over a century.  If they allowed some Nashville team to be called the Orioles I think I'd be done with MLB for good.

The community gets the history, no matter what some company like Major League Baseball or one of its franchises thinks.  No matter what anybody says Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub have absolutely no connection to the Nats, and Wilbert Robinson never managed the LA Dodgers.  Connie Mack isn't part of Oakland or Kansas City.  And Frank Howard and Walter Johnson have nothing to do with Minneapolis or Texas.  The place and the time and the people who remember things own it, not MLB or Peter Angelos or Bob Short or anybody else.

If the O's move to Nashville the people of Baltimore and Maryland own the Orioles' history.  Nobody else.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

MLB has also been averse to having team move into new cities until the Oakland and Tampa situations are resolved... don't want to move an existing team to a top contender for an expansion club. It's why there hasn't been talk of moving the A's to Portland, which is lobbying for a team, hard. MLB wants an expansion team to potentially go there.

Also because they don't have a stadium and I don't know if there's any support for a taxpayer funded stadium in Portland.  They kicked AAA ball to the curb to redevelop the old park into a soccer stadium.

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

OtherRipken, I appreciate your source and your comments, but I see no way the Baltimore Orioles lave Baltimore in either of our lifetimes.  Especially with Camden still one of the jewels of all MLB ballparks.

And OPACY will be a jewel for as far as the eye can see. Some stadiums last 30 years. This one will last 100 or more. It doesn't have the same history, but absent that it's on the level of Fenway and Wrigley in terms of iconic baseball stadiums. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

The estate of Roy Acuff may push hard for the move. And they have a name, too. Though The Nashville Great Speckled Birds sounds more like a college team to me. 

...and now I know who the Uncle Tupelo song "Acuff-Rose" is actually about! Speaking of Uncle Tupelo, how 'bout the Nashville Moonshiners? Kinda has a nice ring to it. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I say forget Nashville and put a team in Louisville.  In 1899 the Senators, Orioles, Cleveland Spiders, and Louisville Colonels were contracted out of existence.  Louisville is the only one of those cities that never got another chance.  

The Sluggers? 

I've posted at length on both topics below. I'll try to be real brief.

1. If the Angeloses were exploring, or have decided on, a sale of the team, that wouldn't surprise me. Here are a few possible reasons. After considering the estate (or gift) tax burden of a transfer from Peter to them upon his death or otherwise, their discussions with Elias about what it might cost in a few years to bring the team into contention, and revenue projections, the Angelos Boys may not see future ownership of the Orioles as financially rewarding. The Boys (now around 50) might prefer to be multimillionaires who can do pretty much whatever they want instead of owners of a cash-strapped MLB franchise. They may be skeptical about the Orioles' ability to win anything under the current MLB and divisional setup. They may lack confidence that the value of the franchise will continue to increase. Some team owners and/or the Commissioner might have told the Boys that they might not get the required approval of the other owners to inherit ownership of the team.

All speculation on my part, but all reasonable possibilities. Any sale almost certainly would be after Peter's death, so that the Angelos Boys will get the benefit of the step-up in basis and save hundreds of millions of dollars in income (not estate) taxes.

2.  The Orioles aren't moving anytime soon, for at least two reasons. The first is that no team will be permitted to move -- barring, I suppose, some bizarre event - until after the Tampa Bay and Oakland situations have been resolved, including those franchises' decisions whether to relocate, and after MLB expands to two cities that haven't yet been selected. The TB/Oakland part of the process has taken much longer than anyone anticipated. I sure don't how long both pieces will take, but it's unlikely to be less than another four or five years.

MLB owners, whose approval is required for a franchise relocation, consider pretty closely whether the proposed relocation will add health, stability and dollars to MLB. And MLB wants to avoid having a franchise fail in any city unless it can attribute that failure to a crummy or inadequate ballpark. That is why the  places  in the front of the line have been reserved for TB and Oakland, and also why any attempt by the Orioles to obtain approval to move  from Baltimore is likely to face significant opposition.

I don't know too much about Nashville. It's been mentioned as a possible relocation or expansion site for years, but as far as I can recall has never been among the top candidates.  From what little I know about it, it lacks both a significant baseball history or tradition and a strong minor league fanbase.     

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, foxfield said:

I don't mean to single you out.  I think many here, myself included find the ownership performance under Angelos severely lacking.  But I think this is a little unfair, Angelos is not a wannabe owner, he is a very wealthy man who isn't very good at listening to other people's ideas.  He saved this organization from potentially leaving Baltimore and that alone assures him of a worthwhile legacy.  Yes, it's not enough.  Yes, he has presided over an organization that has sunken from one of the better franchises in sports to one of the worst.  But he has not been without some positive points.  

Again, I don't mean to single you out.  I cannot wait for new ownership.  But I also fear that if it is not someone with ties to Baltimore...that things can get much worse for us as fans.  

No problem.  I don't mind being singled out.  But I don't believe Angelos had anything to do with the construction of Camden Yards.  And it's really Camden Yards that ensures there will be Major League Baseball in Baltimore -- not the Angelos family. 

The city of Baltimore and fans of the Orioles don't owe the Angelos family anything.  In fact, I think any reasonable person understands the terrible state of the Orioles begins and ends with Angelos' mismanagement.  It has nothing to do with the city of Baltimore -- quite the opposite.

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Good to hear.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could shoot a quick private message to weams or Paul Folk if something like that happens in the future so that Frank and the rest would know that all is well with you.

o

Yes, next time they retire you!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

What Nashville doesn't have is a state income tax.  A couple of my in-laws fled NJ for that reason, and no doubt John Angelos has this in mind.

Tennessee has an income tax on dividends and interest income.

Also one of the highest state tax in the country in Nashville at 9.25%.They also tax all food at a grocery store unlike almost all states.Think it is 5% but not totally sure.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I've posted at length on both topics below. I'll try to be real brief.

1. If the Angeloses were exploring, or have decided on, a sale of the team, that wouldn't surprise me. Here are a few possible reasons. After considering the estate (or gift) tax burden of a transfer from Peter to them upon his death or otherwise, their discussions with Elias about what it might cost in a few years to bring the team into contention, and revenue projections, the Angelos Boys may not see future ownership of the Orioles as financially rewarding. The Boys (now around 50) might prefer to be multimillionaires who can do pretty much whatever they want instead of owners of a cash-strapped MLB franchise. They may be skeptical about the Orioles' ability to win anything under the current MLB and divisional setup. They may lack confidence that the value of the franchise will continue to increase. Some team owners and/or the Commissioner might have told the Boys that they might not get the required approval of the other owners to inherit ownership of the team.

All speculation on my part, but all reasonable possibilities. Any sale almost certainly would be after Peter's death, so that the Angelos Boys will get the benefit of the step-up in basis and save hundreds of millions of dollars in income (not estate) taxes.

2.  The Orioles aren't moving anytime soon, for at least two reasons. The first is that no team will be permitted to move -- barring, I suppose, some bizarre event - until after the Tampa Bay and Oakland situations have been resolved, including those franchises' decisions whether to relocate, and after MLB expands to two cities that haven't yet been selected. The TB/Oakland part of the process has taken much longer than anyone anticipated. I sure don't how long both pieces will take, but it's unlikely to be less than another four or five years.

MLB owners, whose approval is required for a franchise relocation, consider pretty closely whether the proposed relocation will add health, stability and dollars to MLB. And MLB wants to avoid having a franchise fail in any city unless it can attribute that failure to a crummy or inadequate ballpark. That is why the  places  in the front of the line have been reserved for TB and Oakland, and also why any attempt by the Orioles to obtain approval to move  from Baltimore is likely to face significant opposition.

I don't know too much about Nashville. It's been mentioned as a possible relocation or expansion site for years, but as far as I can recall has never been among the top candidates.  From what little I know about it, it lacks both a significant baseball history or tradition and a strong minor league fanbase.     

Roch says the Orioles are absolutely not for sale.  If he knows anything. 

• Upvote 1

This is John Angelos’ Wife. 

Imagine. A wealthy couple who can afford multiple homes. She is a singer and songwriter. Look at the Friday night concerts. Coincidence? Of course not. 

I hear they have a winter cabin in the Catskill Mountains. Maybe the Orioles will move there instead. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1