"The Orioles don't belong on the field with the Yankees" Lose 8-3

weams

11 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

15 straight losses to NY?  Child’s play.  The  ‘27 Yanks beat the St Louis Browns 22 straight before dropping game 23. 

We beat the Royals 24 times in a row. That was over 3 seasons, 1969, 1970 and 1971. We lost the first game in 69 then won 11 straight that season. Swept all 12 in 70 and won the first game in 71.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

We beat the Royals 24 times in a row. That was over 3 seasons, 1969, 1970 and 1971. We lost the first game in 69 then won 11 straight that season. Swept all 12 in 70 and won the first game in 71.

'27 Yanks did it in one season.  Obviously, that record will stand as it was in an 8 team league.  My bad, it was 21 straight out of 22.  
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1927-schedule-scores.shtml

18 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

'27 Yanks did it in one season.  Obviously, that record will stand as it was in an 8 team league.  My bad, it was 21 straight out of 22.  
https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1927-schedule-scores.shtml

I assumed it was a single season. I just wanted to point out that once upon a time the Os were pretty effing good:)

3 hours ago, Fuzzball22 said:

I assumed it was a single season. I just wanted to point out that once upon a time the Os were pretty effing good:)

Yeah, and I'm old enough to have lived through it all.     @weams @Frobby @bobmc and a couple others as well, but we may be in the minority here. 
?

If you were born before 1966, raise your hand, but be careful not to throw your shoulder out doing it.

As to those Royals, they were an expansion team in 1969, and were 5-6 against the '71 O's.   So yeah, the O's were obviously very good, 3 straight WS, but at the same time, they weren't.   NY has slapped the non-expansion O's around 29-9 the past two years.  Baltimore won the season series 2014-16.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Then maybe there's a problem with Major League Baseball that they allow one team to have a setup where they can generate $650M a year, and they're expected to play on an even field with teams that generate one-third or less of that.  Whatta you mean you're not spending 120% of revenue on payroll?  Are you even trying?

Perhaps MLB should have contracted down to four or six teams in the 1920s when the Yanks had to slum with the filthy lower castes and sometimes finished 50 or 60 games ahead of the Browns, and Red Sox.  

The Orioles get more draft picks and more international slot money plus there is profit sharing.  If the Orioles were better managed they would have more revenue.  They have a better GM and better scouts.  Better analytics and better international facilities.  All things that are relatively cheap.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

The Orioles get more draft picks and more international slot money plus there is profit sharing.  If the Orioles were better managed they would have more revenue.  They have a better GM and better scouts.  Better analytics and better international facilities.  All things that are relatively cheap.

And all of those things don't even remotely add up to $400M to freely spend on anything you want.  Yes, it's nice that they've papered over the revenue disparities with drafts and soft caps on things.  But my fear is that eventually the gloves will come off and the Yanks or Dodgers or Cubs will just decide it's time for a $350M payroll in addition to all the analytics and modern decision-making and efficient farm systems and no amount of anything will contain that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Then maybe there's a problem with Major League Baseball that they allow one team to have a setup where they can generate $650M a year, and they're expected to play on an even field with teams that generate one-third or less of that.  Whatta you mean you're not spending 120% of revenue on payroll?  Are you even trying?

Perhaps MLB should have contracted down to four or six teams in the 1920s when the Yanks had to slum with the filthy lower castes and sometimes finished 50 or 60 games ahead of the Browns, and Red Sox.  

Thank God someone else is saying it too, because I feel like I have been the only one.  I see this USA today article, and Deadspin article that say "Baseball should relegate teams that dont want compete" and scream to myself "then maybe baseball should create a competitive system where mid to small market teams dont have to tank to rebuild."

We have so many numbers in baseball.  It's clear to everyone that the top pick in the draft is infinitely more important than even the middle of the first round (60% bust rate v. 71% bust rate). Article

We have the anaysis of the last CBA where the analyst said "this will favor large market teams due to lower revenue sharing." Article

We have a MLB standings board where 3 division leaders are the largest market teams in them (Dodgers, Yankees, Cubs) two are in top 10 US markets (Astros, Atlanta) and the the last division has only one large market team that is rebuilding (CWS).

We see decreasing interest, and lower attendance.

And yet no one is asking whether this system is designed to be fair, or provide a good on field product in 30 cities.  Its maddening.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, and I'm old enough to have lived through it all.     @weams @Frobby @bobmc and a couple others as well, but we may be in the minority here. 
?

If you were born before 1966, raise your hand, but be careful not to throw your shoulder out doing it.

As to those Royals, they were an expansion team in 1969, and were 5-6 against the '71 O's.   So yeah, the O's were obviously very good, 3 straight WS, but at the same time, they weren't.   NY has slapped the non-expansion O's around 29-9 the past two years.  Baltimore won the season series 2014-16.

Hey, I was born in '71 and was in high school before they had a losing record.  They drew me in, got me to expect 90+ wins a year, locked me in for life... just in time for 75% of the seasons to be under .500 since.

11 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Thank God someone else is saying it too, because I feel like I have been the only one.  I see this USA today article, and Deadspin article that say "Baseball should relegate teams that dont want compete" and scream to myself "then maybe baseball should create a competitive system where mid to small market teams dont have to tank to rebuild."

It's hilarious that they say that.  In promotion/relegation leagues you almost always have situations where the fun for the smaller teams is trying not to get relegated.  They really don't have much of a chance to compete with the rich teams, someone like a Sunderland or a West Ham hasn't won the league in many decades.  Soccer around the world has introduced all kinds of carrots for the smaller teams to try for, like cups and tournaments and relegation-promotion playoffs.  They don't do much of any revenue sharing or capping, they just give teams other things to strive for so they don't give up.

Baseball has one trophy to shoot for.  It's crazy to think that relegating the Orioles or the Tigers and replacing them with Nashville or Portland or some other city on par with Kansas City or Milwaukee and having them go toe-to-toe with the Yanks and Sox and Dodgers would solve anything.  You'd be shuffling the problem around, hoping short-term attendance spikes from the coolness of a new team would paper over the massive revenue disparities.  While killing generations of fanbase in Baltimore and Detroit.

USA today is telling a guy running a 100m dash that he's not trying hard enough because the Yanks get to start at the 50m mark.

• Upvote 3