Despite speculation, Orioles not on the market to be moved or sold

Going Underground

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The money exploded in the 70s and 80s, as teams realized they had to have cash to afford free agents and cable happened at the same time.  There has been one major league team move since the money went crazy.  One.  And they played in a French-speaking province that MLB couldn't figure out a way to blackmail into building them a free Mallpark to replace a terrible old crumbling multipurpose half-dome.

It would be astonishing if MLB was so craven as to allow Camden Yards to sit vacant so Nashville or Las Vegas can try to start something the Orioles began 137 years ago.

With the arrogance of Manfred and MLB, it wouldn't surprise me if they attempted such a thing. While I'm more inclined to believe the O's aren't going anywhere, I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if they did.

True story, about 12 years after the Mayflower incident, I  relocated from Severna Park to Rolla Missouri on my own, literally Uhaul. About 2 years late I had to relocate from the mid-West to southern VA and the cheapest Company-sponsored option was Mayflower. I refused to use them and paid the difference out of pocket. I would do it a hundred times over and I hope Jim Ersay burns in eternal damnation!  rant over

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, $Greatness$ said:

With the arrogance of Manfred and MLB, it wouldn't surprise me if they attempted such a thing. While I'm more inclined to believe the O's aren't going anywhere, I wouldn't be shocked whatsoever if they did.

They can "attempt" all they want. They'd still need to get 75% approval. Good luck finding 22 (OK, technically 22 1/2) owners to sign off on that.

58 minutes ago, Curse of the Bamdino said:

They can "attempt" all they want. They'd still need to get 75% approval. Good luck finding 22 (OK, technically 22 1/2) owners to sign off on that.

And at least under the Selig regime they never publicly announced a vote among the owners that wasn't unanimous or nearly unanimous.  They just quietly make the issue go away if they couldn't get everyone on board.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:58 AM, Going Underground said:

If you’re still wondering, the Orioles aren’t being sold and will not be moving to Nashville, a couple of notions that a high-ranking team official labeled this week as “nonsense.”

Move out of the region and they’d have to leave behind the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, which has helped the value of the team climb to more than an estimated $1 billion.

Worried about the lease? They have a five-year option built into their contract with the Maryland Stadium Authority.

On top of that, even if the outcome of the MASN lawsuit were so negative for the Orioles as to make a move or sale attractive, either would have to be approved by MLB, which has been at odds with Orioles ownership over the MASN situation for several years.

But a high-ranking Orioles official called recent media reports about a possible sale “rank speculation” and said whispers about the team moving to Nashville are ridiculous.

But those who have long known the Angelos family doubt they would cost Baltimore the Orioles. They would not want to be forever linked to Robert Irsay, who has been reviled in this city since he moved the Colts under the cover of night.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/schmuck/bs-sp-orioles-sale-and-relocation-rumors-remain-unsupported-20190815-44ftpk2ebrasrdggkbnm7lwiv4-story.html

Greaaaaaat. Now I guess I have to return my cowboy hat and cancel my line dancing class at the YMCA.

9 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know pretty absolutely nothing about this rumor. I just have one question. Is there any smoke to this rumor? 

My first thought would be to say no.

That somebody in the org probably kicked the idea around for 2 nanoseconds and that's it.

Yet, Tony-OH started the thread, and I doubt he was doing this as a troll. 

Which leaves us in a circle of doubt and suspicions.

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My first thought would be to say no.

That somebody in the org probably kicked the idea around for 2 nanoseconds and that's it.

Yet, Tony-OH started the thread, and I doubt he was doing this as a troll. 

Which leaves us in a circle of doubt and suspicions.

Tony starting the thread lends only a tiny amount of credibility to it (only a tiny amount because of the rumor, not Tony's cred.) But seriously, doesn't every rumor in every situation in every context leave the OH in a circle of doubt and suspicions? ?

It's what we do here.

12 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

True story, about 12 years after the Mayflower incident, I  relocated from Severna Park to Rolla Missouri on my own, literally Uhaul. About 2 years late I had to relocate from the mid-West to southern VA and the cheapest Company-sponsored option was Mayflower. I refused to use them and paid the difference out of pocket. I would do it a hundred times over and I hope Jim Ersay burns in eternal damnation!  rant over

So you refused a cheaper, better option because the people at Mayflower...did their job on a snowy night 12 years earlier?  I get the hate for Ersay but Mayflower just did their job.  

old.jpg

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you refused a cheaper, better option because the people at Mayflower...did their job on a snowy night 12 years earlier?  I get the hate for Ersay but Mayflower just did their job.  

I stopped celebrating Thanksgiving because of Mayflower.

• Haha 2