Cost Cutting Measures

weams

The entire premise of this thread has absolutely no basis in reality. None. You know why the Nats got all that money awarded to them? Because MASN is making a LOT more money than the O's would ever admit, and Angelos was trying to rip the Nats off for every single penny he could. So so poor Angelos and his 2 billion dollar baseball team(s). 

8 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

The entire premise of this thread has absolutely no basis in reality. None. You know why the Nats got all that money awarded to them? Because MASN is making a LOT more money than the O's would ever admit, and Angelos was trying to rip the Nats off for every single penny he could. So so poor Angelos and his 2 billion dollar baseball team(s). 

You make it seem as if this was a one way street.    The Nats were also grubbing for everything they could get.    If they had gotten everything they wanted, MASN truly would have been bankrupt.    But the RSDC did not give them that.     

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You make it seem as if this was a one way street.    The Nats were also grubbing for everything they could get.    If they had gotten everything they wanted, MASN truly would have been bankrupt.    But the RSDC did not give them that.     

The Nats got a sweetheart deal to bring the team to DC, and its not like they were being supported back in Montreal.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I was going to mention Kumar Rocker but I guess hes a freshman.

Yes he is, He is likely to be the 1-1 in 2021 and that is why its important that we totally stink next year. I am not usually a guy who goes for draft position but I really want Rocker. It would be a shame to be historically bad for three years and then just miss out on a talent like that by winning a few extra meaningless games.

37 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Yes he is, He is likely to be the 1-1 in 2021 and that is why its important that we totally stink next year. I am not usually a guy who goes for draft position but I really want Rocker. It would be a shame to be historically bad for three years and then just miss out on a talent like that by winning a few extra meaningless games.

On the other hand, what if they suck on purpose, get Rocker and he turns out to be like Hobgood, which could happen?

What would you have gained, by tanking?

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Nats got a sweetheart deal to bring the team to DC, and its not like they were being supported back in Montreal.

A sweetheart deal?  Washington is bigger and richer than Baltimore.  But they have to share MASN profits with the Orioles, and will always have a minority stake in MASN.  They will not get the revenues that they would if not for this agreement.  The Nats most certainly would rather have the ability to form their own media deal or entity.  I'm guessing the Lerners really wish the Senators' owners had blocked the Browns move in '54, which they didn't.

It's only a sweetheart deal for the Nats if you believe that the Orioles should have full control over the entire DC-Baltimore market in perpetuity.  If the NL and AL actually competed with one another there would have been a team in DC decades ago and it would be laughable to suggest that the DC team subsidize the Baltimore team.  

I understand that Oriole fans are upset that our team can't continue to get all the DC fans and their money, but it's not the same city.  I never understood why Angelos had any say about whether a city 40 miles away gets a team.  The Giants didn't get special treatment when the A's moved in.  The Dodgers didn't get compensated when the Angels were awarded a team.  I don't think the Yanks cried about their business model being disrupted when the Mets came around.  OPACY to Nats park is 37 miles, and well over an hour in traffic.  The Oakland Coliseum is 16 miles from AT&T Park.  The Dodgers and Angels are 30 miles apart.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

On the other hand, what if they suck on purpose, get Rocker and he turns out to be like Hobgood, which could happen?

What would you have gained, by tanking?

Well, I guess that could happen but the comparison of Rocker to Hobgood seems really a reach. The only thing they have in common is that they pitch. But, to answer your question... we have gained nothing except a wasted 1-1 pick which is just as likely to happen at 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 etc.... To turn around your question, what have we lost but for a few meaningless games. what's the difference between 100 losses and 110 losses (please don't say 10 losses). 

MLB held the rights to DC when the Senators2 moved to Texas. Baltimore never had any legal claim to keep a team out of Washington.

What the Orioles had was the DC cable revenue which has always been considered apart from the Baltimore region by the FCC. So Mr. Angelos did a masterful job of obtaining media rights from southern Virginia to Pennsylvania. 

The dispute is more about two billionaires getting into a pissing contest. A pox on both of their houses.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Larry18 said:

MLB held the rights to DC when the Senators2 moved to Texas. Baltimore never had any legal claim to keep a team out of Washington.

What the Orioles had was the DC cable revenue which has always been considered apart from the Baltimore region by the FCC. So Mr. Angelos did a masterful job of obtaining media rights from southern Virginia to Pennsylvania. 

The dispute is more about two billionaires getting into a pissing contest. A pox on both of their houses.

More like North Carolina to Pennsylvania.  I still can't believe that MASN is making millions from North Carolina cable TV.