There have been a lot of good developments this year

Frobby

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, VaBird1 said:

They did both test positive though, right?

22 minutes ago, weams said:

Cruz never TESTED positive. He was caught in the biogenesis paper trail. Ortiz did, but was exempt from punishment. 

"I don't think I can do anything. A noise comes out, and do you think I'm just going to sit down and believe what somebody I don't know comes off saying? That came out (in) 2009 about (what allegedly occurred in) 2003. (MLB) drug policies started in 2004. I never failed a test. I kept on banging. So, you know, the reality is that it's a noise that I think was more damaging [to some players' careers] than anything else, because a lot of guys that were pronounced [as having tested] positive for things or having been caught using things, their careers went away. Yet I am [here]. Let me tell you, there's not one player in baseball, not one player, that has been drug-tested more than David Ortiz. I guarantee you that. I never failed a test."

David Ortiz, Sports Illustrated interview 2016

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

"I don't think I can do anything. A noise comes out, and do you think I'm just going to sit down and believe what somebody I don't know comes off saying? That came out (in) 2009 about (what allegedly occurred in) 2003. (MLB) drug policies started in 2004. I never failed a test. I kept on banging. So, you know, the reality is that it's a noise that I think was more damaging [to some players' careers] than anything else, because a lot of guys that were pronounced [as having tested] positive for things or having been caught using things, their careers went away. Yet I am [here]. Let me tell you, there's not one player in baseball, not one player, that has been drug-tested more than David Ortiz. I guarantee you that. I never failed a test."

David Ortiz, Sports Illustrated interview 2016

This statement, if true, indicates that he failed an amphetamine test.

22 minutes ago, weams said:

You do realize that I adore Nellie Cruz.  I am very sorry he is a steroid user. 

I doubt he would reciprocate much adoration lol.  Denial in PED use is a difficult situation to be sure.   For me,  I am not in a position to have the overwhelming evidence I need to definitively, without question,  pronounce judgement about what he has done since his previous situation.  I have only MLB testing procedures which have all been negative by report and the player to go by.  But you certainly could be correct.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe he failed a second steroid test and they "protected" him?

I can't be the only one to think that if the wrong person tested positive, say a Jeter or a Trout, MLB would hide the result.

Could be. I'll never know. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

I doubt he would reciprocate much adoration lol.  Denial in PED use is a difficult situation to be sure.   For me,  I am not in a position to have the overwhelming evidence I need to definitively, without question,  pronounce judgement about what he has done since his previous situation.  I have only MLB testing procedures which have all been negative by report and the player to go by.  But you certainly could be correct.  

The roids are way past the testing now. Winstrol is the only thing the get caught for and that is for quick bulking. Think East Germany.  Otherwise it is all masking stuff now. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This statement, if true, indicates that he failed an amphetamine test.

I am not sure what the protocols are in MLB for testing frequency or how it is determined.  Are they all the same or designed based on individual relapse history?  Reference? 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or maybe he failed a second steroid test and they "protected" him?

I can't be the only one to think that if the wrong person tested positive, say a Jeter or a Trout, MLB would hide the result.

Well, that would pretty much make the Black Sox scandal pale in comparison. I certainly hope not because that would be disastrous and would likely kill the sport as we know it,  imho. 

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Well, that would pretty much make the Black Sox scandal pale in comparison. I certainly hope not because that would be disastrous and would likely kill the sport as we know it,  imho. 

We never hear about the suspensions until the appeal has been heard. 

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I am not sure what the protocols are in MLB for testing frequency or how it is determined.  Are they all the same or designed based on individual relapse history?  Reference? 

I don't have references on hand.  I do recall hearing that players who have failed a test are subject to additional testing.

No matter what I don't think Ortiz was tested as much as Josh Hamilton.

Archived