Best MLB Draft Picks in Round 1 and what selection.

Redskins Rick

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

He had a solid chance in 96.

Stupid umpires and that clearly wrong home run call, didnt help.

Todd Zeile faking a throw and throwing the ball into the ground, sure didn't help.

Some say the 96 team was all around better team than the 83 World Series winners that won it all.

Talent wise that's certainly debatable, but in terms of results and output of talent, making the playoffs and getting as far as they did saved the '96 team from being the biggest underachiever in team history.  There's no reason a team with the talent they had should've needed till the last day of the season to wrap up the wild card, but they got themselves in a deep rut to dig out of.  I say all that and the nostalgia of the team still resonates, but it's very much overshadowed by the '97, '12, and '14 teams.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Talent wise that's certainly debatable, but in terms of results and output of talent, making the playoffs and getting as far as they did saved the '96 team from being the biggest underachiever in team history.  There's no reason a team with the talent they had should've needed till the last day of the season to wrap up the wild card, but they got themselves in a deep rut to dig out of.  I say all that and the nostalgia of the team still resonates, but it's very much overshadowed by the '97, '12, and '14 teams.

It is debatable, and more than once in OH, we have discussed the actual merrits of the 1983 WS team.

Nobody including Dempsey and his wife and family, thought he would end up as the WS MVP and the star. I mean, dont get be wrong, Im a big Rick Dempsey the catcher fan, and usually his defense was heads and tails better than his offensive production.

96 is a season tht I recall fondly as a fan and probably being the homer, overrated their skillset.

96 ALCS is also a thorn in my side, that I will remember forever, sadly.

17 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

USA Today - "Just Enough News"

Not sure, in this day and age, if there is any such thing as a good newspaper.

Washington Post has gone so liberal, even before being purchased by Amazon.

Baltimore Sun, never has been, nor will it every be anything close to a real newspaper.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure, in this day and age, if there is any such thing as a good newspaper.

Washington Post has gone so liberal, even before being purchased by Amazon.

Baltimore Sun, never has been, nor will it every be anything close to a real newspaper.

The Baltimore Sun used to be one of the greatest newspapers in the US, far greater than the Washington Post up until the 70s when the Post stole the spotlight on Watergate.  The Post is no more liberal than it ever has been -- it is the paper that exposed Nixon yet (along with every other paper except the Knight Ridder reporters and foreign press) failed to properly investigate the run-up to the Iraq War.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

He had a solid chance in 96.

Stupid umpires and that clearly wrong home run call, didnt help.

Todd Zeile faking a throw and throwing the ball into the ground, sure didn't help.

Some say the 96 team was all around better team than the 83 World Series winners that won it all.

I have to admit I barely followed baseball in the 90s.  Even before the strike my attention faded.  Something about the Yankees losing to the D-Backs in 2001 brought my attention back.  I'm biased in favor of the '83 team because I was still a kid then and I was at one of the World Series games (can't remember which one).

3 minutes ago, makoman said:

The reason Mussina doesn’t have a ring. 

Ok, but by "greatest closer in history" I assume he's referring to Mariano Rivera.  I don't remember the details of the '96 game other than the Yankee fan reaching out to catch the ball.  Did the Yankees rough up Mussina in that game?  Thanks 

37 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Ok, but by "greatest closer in history" I assume he's referring to Mariano Rivera.  I don't remember the details of the '96 game other than the Yankee fan reaching out to catch the ball.  Did the Yankees rough up Mussina in that game?  Thanks 

2001 World Series. Yanks had the lead in the 9th in game 7, and Rivera couldn't close it out. 

7 hours ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

The 2012 team might be my favorite sports team of all time. Right up there with 2010 Auburn football 

39 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The 2012 team might be my favorite sports team of all time. Right up there with 2010 Auburn football 

I go back and forth with '12 and '89.  I never thought there'd be another '89, then there was.

But '99 Virginia Tech football is right there, too. And I'm not even that big of a football fan any more.

It probably says something about me that my top three teams (and nobody else is remotely close) didn't go home with the trophy.