Every dog has its day

Frobby

I'm still salty about the Hess game. Orioles were playing for history in a season full of nothing. Still don't understand what it was going to hurt. We won't remember how many games we loss 40-2, but in a season full of ups and downs, we would have remembered that surgical no-hitter robbed from us on 4/1.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hess 4/1: 6.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R

Straily 4/15: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R

Wojo 7/21: 7.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R

Brooks 8/27: 6.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R

Blach 9/6: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R

It’s a mystery.    

The highest game score in modern Orioles history is 111 by Jerry Walker, in the second game of a doubleheader 60 years ago today.  That's the only Oriole start since 1954  with a game score over 100.

He threw a 16-inning shutout over the White Sox.  Walker was 37-44 in his career with a 90 ERA+.  According to an online pitch count estimator, Walker threw about 154 pitches.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The best 9-inning start in O's history was Erik Bedard's 15K 2-hit shutout on 7/7/07.

1 hour ago, ChipTait said:

That was a masterful performance against the Rangers. Amazing game !!!

o

That was the antithesis of the 30-3 loss to the very same team, a month-and-a-half later.

JULY 7th: llllllllllllllllllllllll https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX200707070.shtml

AUGUST 22nd: llllllllllllll. https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200708221.shtml

o

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Dylan Bundy's 12-strikeout one-hitter on August 29th, 2017 is the 3rd-highest game score of a nine-inning game in O's history.

The best 9-inning start in O's history was Erik Bedard's 15K 2-hit shutout on 7/7/07.

I know there are a couple of ways of doing game score, but per BB-ref, Moose’s 8/1/00 start (9 IP, 1 H, 15 K’s) got at 98 (tied with Bedard) and his 5/31/97 start (9 IP, 1 H, 10 K’s) got a 95 (tied with Bundy).

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know there are a couple of ways of doing game score, but per BB-ref, Moose’s 8/1/00 start (9 IP, 1 H, 15 K’s) got at 98 (tied with Bedard) and his 5/31/97 start (9 IP, 1 H, 10 K’s) got a 95 (tied with Bundy).

What was Palmer’s high game score and when?

24 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

What was Palmer’s high game score and when?

Palmer three times exceeded 90, each time in extra innings.   His highest was a 93, in a 12 inning 4 hit shutout in 1974.   In regulation 9 innings, he twice reached 90, in 1975 (2-hit shutout, 8 K’s) and 1982 (1-hit shutout, 7 K’s).    He never reached really astronomical scores because he never had a ton of strikeouts.    

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Man I was so pissed when Hyde pulled Hess midway through the seventh while he had a now hitter going in the 4/1 game...

I mean, I get it, but still. As a fan, that was tough.

Let’s not forget, he had 8 outs to go and already had thrown 82 pitches to get 19 outs.    On pace for 117 pitches, in game 4 of the season pitching on 3 days rest after a 2 inning relief stint on opening day.  

• Upvote 1