Who’s your pick for MVO?

Frobby

Who’s your pick for MVO  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s your pick for MVO?

Nothing’s really going to change in the final 12 games, so before the media make their pick, who’ve you got for MVO?    

I’ve listed the players I consider to be the top three candidates in alphabetical order in the poll:

Trey Mancini - .279/.350/.523, 98 runs, 33 doubles, 33 homers, 84 RBI, 2.6 rWAR, 2.6 fWAR.

John Means - 10-11 record, 143 IP, 3.65 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 7.0 K/9, 3.2 K/BB, 4.1 rWAR, 2.8 fWAR.   O’s are 10-15 in his starts, 2-2 in his relief appearances.   

Jonathan Villar, .276/.342/.454, 101 runs, 31 doubles, 21 homers, 67 RBI, 35 SB, 8 CS, 3.8 rWAR, 3.7 fWAR.   Has played in every game this year.

WAR notwithstanding, I think there are good arguments for each player.   I don’t think anyone else is really in the running, but if you’re picking someone else, let’s hear about it.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, atomic said:

He has more WAR than Mancini,  Batting .314.Seems weird to exclude him when you only have 3 options.

To be honest, I didn’t check his WAR before making the poll.    But in any event, he’s at 3.1 rWAR (2.6 for Mancini), 2.0 fWAR (2.6).    I feel like if one is going to make a WAR-heavy argument, then Villar (3.8/3.7) and Means (4.1/2.8) clearly outpoint Alberto.    If you are not going to focus on WAR, Mancini has way more runs, way more RBI, way more homers, higher OBP, much higher SLG.     And he’s been more the everyday player.    Alberto would be my 4th choice, but a pretty distant 4th.   Of the 15 voters so far, nobody has chosen “other” (which would include Alberto).    

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

To be honest, I didn’t check his WAR before making the poll.    But in any event, he’s at 3.1 rWAR (2.6 for Mancini), 2.0 fWAR (2.6).    I feel like if one is going to make a WAR-heavy argument, then Villar (3.8/3.7) and Means (4.1/2.8) clearly outpoint Alberto.    If you are not going to focus on WAR, Mancini has way more runs, way more RBI, way more homers, higher OBP, much higher SLG.     And he’s been more the everyday player.    Alberto would be my 4th choice, but a pretty distant 4th.   Of the 15 voters so far, nobody has chosen “other” (which would include Alberto).    

I also wouldn't put Alberto at the top of the list, but think it should be added that his position versatility contributed a lot to this year's team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

“Mancini hit his fourth home run in five games, a two-run shot to right field off Ryan Tepera in the first inning. Mancini has 34 homers on the season as he barrels toward the Most Valuable Oriole Award that’s going to be presented this weekend.

“(I’m just assuming that he’s won. I also assumed that he’d go to the All-Star Game, so always take my track record into consideration.)”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/09/mancinis-four-rbi-night-wasted-in-8-5-loss.html

I think I'd go with Means.  I realize that the O's record in games that he started isn't all that great, but I think his value goes beyond that.  He was at least a guy that you could generally depend on to give you a good start save for a brief mid-season slump, and in a season where we're routinely starting waiver-wire pickups I don't think you can understate that.

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Serious Pick : Mancini

Alternate Pick: Givens, he has done more than any other Oriole to get high draft pick. No way that I would tender him a contract and watch him actually get a pay raise thru arbitration. Non tender him and than offer him a 1 year deal at maybe 2 million

Great to see you've found your new whipping boy, every season it's somebody new you need to tear down at every single turn the second they don't succeed.