Who’s your pick for MVO?

Frobby

Who’s your pick for MVO  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s your pick for MVO?

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I think I'd go with Means.  I realize that the O's record in games that he started isn't all that great, but I think his value goes beyond that.  He was at least a guy that you could generally depend on to give you a good start save for a brief mid-season slump, and in a season where we're routinely starting waiver-wire pickups I don't think you can understate that.

My one “complaint” against Means is that he only averages 5.4 innings per start.    That’s not awful by any stretch, and is actually “good” by 2019 Orioles standards, but for me it’s hard to give the MVO to a starting pitcher who won’t pitch enough innings to qualify for the ERA title.

Just now, Frobby said:

My one “complaint” against Means is that he only averages 5.4 innings per start.    That’s not awful by any stretch, and is actually “good” by 2019 Orioles standards, but for me it’s hard to give the MVO to a starting pitcher who won’t pitch enough innings to qualify for the ERA title.

I don't give much weight to a standard set in a completely different era with different expectations.  In 2019 using 162 innings as a disqualifier is at least a little like saying you couldn't give the MVP to a guy who didn't even hit .300, or who struck out 100 times.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Honestly outside of the truly elite not many SPs go 6+ innings anymore so I'm not sure I'd hold that against him. The telling stat for me is that his era is a 1.5 is better than our next best SP (Bundy). He's literally been a lone diamond in a dumpster fire.