Steve Wilkerson just made the catch of a lifetime

Barnaby Graves

12 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

You're like a bad sports parent. Kid hits HR to win the game. All dad wants to talk about on the car ride home is the groundball he booted in the 2nd inning.

You sound as if you were in the back sit of my family car as my dad drove me home from youth baseball and basketball games.

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

o

Similar to Al Gionfriddo robbing Joe DiMaggio in the 1947 World Series, Evans robbed Joe Morgan in the 1975 World Series with a one-handed, jumping catch.

And like Sandy Amoros in the 1955 World Series, Evans augmented his catch by completing a double play.

Image result for Sandy Amoros catch gif

o

9 hours ago, O's84 said:

Even if Wilkerson doesn't play another game in MLB, his mark will still have been immortalized.  Not too shabby for a fringe player.

Like Andino's walk off against the Sox in 2011 that knocked them out of the playoffs and was the precursor to 5 pretty good years of Orioles baseball from 2012-2016.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Like Andino's walk off against the Sox in 2011 that knocked them out of the playoffs...

Um... we lost this game.  And, Boston was already eliminated before this game.  Other than that, they are exactly alike. ? 

Like Andino's walk off against the Sox in 2011 that knocked them out of the playoffs and was the precursor to 5 pretty good years of Orioles baseball from 2012-2016.

13 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Um... we lost this game.  And, Boston was already eliminated before this game.  Other than that, they are exactly alike. ? 

No, Dipper9 is right.  That was the year we beat Papelbon and the Rays beat the Yankees on a walk off HR by Evan  Longoria.

14 hours ago, O's84 said:

Even if Wilkerson doesn't play another game in MLB, his mark will still have been immortalized.  Not too shabby for a fringe player.

Completely agree. So happy that both of those guys had those moments. That Wilkerson catch was all time, even if the stakes were all time low. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I was referring to the comment that said if Wilkerson does nothing the rest of his career, he'll be remembered for his catch.  Just like Andino is legend for walking off the Red Sox and knocking them out of the playoffs.  

I was just jerking your chain.  But the only reason we remember Andino is that it was a big game that did knock Boston out of the playoffs.  If it had happened in game #85, no one would remember it.  And, in two years, we won’t still be talking about that catch, but we will still speak of the curse of the Andino.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I was just jerking your chain.  But the only reason we remember Andino is that it was a big game that did knock Boston out of the playoffs.  If it had happened in game #85, no one would remember it.  And, in two years, we won’t still be talking about that catch, but we will still speak of the curse of the Andino.

I think that next year every time the O's go to Boston that catch will be mentioned and probably shown on MASN.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think that next year every time the O's go to Boston that catch will be mentioned and probably shown on MASN.

Well, I did say "in two years."  ?

And, Wilkerson may not even be with the team for some or all of those games.  It's not like he's a long-term building block.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Well, I did say "in two years."  ?

And, Wilkerson may not even be with the team for some or all of those games.  It's not like he's a long-term building block.

Wilkerson has a decent chance to be with the O's for a while.   Several years at least.   He has just over one year of MLB service time which means he is cheap for the next 2 seasons.    He has a 783 OPS vs right-handed pitching which is about 70% of the pitchers.   He can play both in the infield and outfield plus he is an emergency pitcher.  He currently is the O's 3rd catcher though he didn't have to play there this year. 

His future performance will tell how long term he will be  with the O's but I don't think he is in any danger of being DFA'd this off season.

• Upvote 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:06 AM, BRobinsonfan said:

Dwight’s catch would not have looked so spectacular had he gotten a better read on the ball. ?

Actually, it doesn’t look that great. He jumped, but I’m not sure he needed to jump at all, and his momentum just carried him into the wall. We see stuff like that pretty frequently.