Are we witnessing the death of the Orioles?

Todd-O

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm guessing you're the type of person who sees a 10% drop in year-to-year car sales and extrapolates that out to 10 years from now when zero cars will be sold in America and all the automotive related companies will be bankrupt.

Some posters are just irrational. (not talking about yourself)

from Frobes:

#19 in MLB

TEAM VALUE
$1.3BCalculated April 2019
OWNER(S)
Peter Angelos
CHAMPIONSHIPS
YEAR PURCHASED
PRICE PAID
$173M
REVENUE
$251M
OPERATING INCOME
-$6.5M
DEBT/VALUE
14%
PLAYER EXPENSES
$161M
GATE RECEIPTS
$42M
WINS-TO-PLAYER COST RATIO
REVENUE PER FAN
$50
METRO AREA POPULATION
2.8M
MEDIA PARTNERS
Tv: MASN; Radio: CBS Radio 105.7 The Fan

33 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm guessing you're the type of person who sees a 10% drop in year-to-year car sales and extrapolates that out to 10 years from now when zero cars will be sold in America and all the automotive related companies will be bankrupt.

LOL, The end of personal auto ownership is also coming... maybe 30 years left at most

It still boggles my mind that there are people who think the Nats have had a only a marginal impact on Orioles attendance or fandom. My biggest fear after the arrival of the Nats was a world champion Nats team along side a horrible Orioles team. We are close to that now and it will be interesting to see the results. Has anyone mentioned the impact on the value of MASN should the Nats win? Peak value, great time to sell imo.  

1 minute ago, fansince1988 said:

It still boggles my mind that there are people who think the Nats have had a only a marginal impact on Orioles attendance or fandom. My biggest fear after the arrival of the Nats was a world champion Nats team along side a horrible Orioles team. We are close to that now and it will be interesting to see the results. Has anyone mentioned the impact on the value of MASN should the Nats win? Peak value, great time to sell imo.  

It definitely had a big impact - but I think that impact was felt years ago. At this point - I think the fanbases are pretty locked in. Even if things were switched and the O's were great and the Nats' were terrible - I doubt Montgomery County and NoVA residents would be rooting for the Orioles. They're clearly a part of the DC community and identify that way.

The only threat to the Orioles' existence is if they are sold to a new owner who specifically bought them to move the team to whatever new city offers the shiniest, new, tax-payer-funded stadium offer. But, you could say that about any team.

17 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

The A's survived years of Giant wins, and playing in the 2nd worst ball park in MLB.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

It still boggles my mind that there are people who think the Nats have had a only a marginal impact on Orioles attendance or fandom. 

Attendance was slipping several years before the Nats arrived in 2005.  There was a 33.8% drop from 1997 to 2003.  "Ravens stadium" opened in 1998 and served as a competition for entertainment dollars in the Baltimore area.Ripken retired after 2001 and there was a big drop the following year.  2003 was the 6th (of 14) straight losing seasons.  Attendance in 2014 returned to the 2003 levels thanks to a 3rd straight winning season.   

I've been to Nationals Park; the commute from the Baltimore metro area is miserable, especially during the week.  When the O's played there this August, my commute was almost 2 hours one way.   The reverse also has to be true.   Let's be brutally honest. What Baltimore has offered for 16 of the past 21 years is a losing team. How many diehards from the DC area would continue to make that commute year after year regardless of having a local team?

Pre-Nationals

1997    3,711,132    0
1998    3,684,650    -26,482
1999    3,433,150    -277,982
2000    3,297,031    -414,101
2001    3,094,841    -616,291
2002    2,682,439    -1,028,693
2003    2,454,523    -1,256,609
2004    2,744,018    -967,114

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, theocean said:

It definitely had a big impact - but I think that impact was felt years ago. At this point - I think the fanbases are pretty locked in. Even if things were switched and the O's were great and the Nats' were terrible - I doubt Montgomery County and NoVA residents would be rooting for the Orioles. They're clearly a part of the DC community and identify that way.

The only threat to the Orioles' existence is if they are sold to a new owner who specifically bought them to move the team to whatever new city offers the shiniest, new, tax-payer-funded stadium offer. But, you could say that about any team.

This is exactly right, and that’s where the money lives in the DMV.