Chris Davis salary dump matches

Just Regular

The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21. 

We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then. 

I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The big takeaway for me from this thread is that our window to realistically compete doesn’t start till 2023. We have to pay Davis in 20-22. Cobb in 20-21. 

We might give it hell in 2022 with the guys in AA-AAA now, plus AR, Hall, and Rodriguez, but we’re In no position to even sign a FA until then. 

I don’t know what type of deals Elias will get offered, but the smart things to do would be to Mancini, Bundy, and Givens. Villar is a given. Then get top draft picks from losing in 20-22.  After the 2022 draft we should be taking the field with a cheap, talented roster, with a farm system ready to sustain a run. 

Do you give any chance for Cobb to actually come back and be a decent pitcher for us?    I give that about a 25% chance of happening.

I think the team will start getting really interesting in 2021.    We have a ton of guys with good MiL track records who will be fully baked and in the majors by then.    And, I do not believe Chris Davis will still be on the team then, unless Elias pulls a rabbit out of a hat and Davis improves significantly based on whatever training program the O’s put him on this offseason.    

By “really interesting,” I don’t mean that the 2021 team will be contenders.    But I think we’ll be looking at the young version of a good chunk of our core for the next contending team.    And we’ll be able to watch them grow and develop.    Even in 2020 there will be some talented younger players to see.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

Any team that would trade for Davis would immediately release him.  I guess if you traded Adley and the rest of our top 10 prospects you might get someone to bite.  I have no idea why you would want to do that though, 

I think trade for and release doesn’t make a ton of sense in the MLB system.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

But It it does happen, Matusz and Webb for example.

Yes, at that level (disguised paying a couple million bucks to acquire draft picks), it works.    But I don’t think the payroll rules in MLB incentivize the big dollar trade-for-and-release deals the way the NBA’s rules do.   

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think trade for and release doesn’t make a ton of sense in the MLB system.

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Haven't a few teams used it to give themselves more room below the competitive balance tax threshold?

The Dodgers have used it at least three times on large contracts for luxury

tax reasons. 1-Red Sox (goes back a couple years), 2-aquire Matt Kemp from Atl (I think Atl released 1 or 2 players) and with Reds for Homer Bailey who they released the next day.  

• Thanks 1

I say we eat the money and dump Davis.The money is spent anyway. He is clogging up 1B. He is one of the worst hitters in baseball. He's a nice guy and all, but he is detrimental to the team now. It is best for the team to just cut all ties with him. 

On 10/18/2019 at 5:33 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

We are only committed to about 40 million in the next 2 years and only Davis' 23 million in 2022. Even estimates including has us at about 70 million next season.

If the Orioles wanted to they could afford a payroll in the 150-170 million range based just on the shares of the National TV contract and their revenue from MASN. As the team gets better so will the hone gates and concessions.

They dumped salary in 2018 and played cheap this season. So even though they've directed money elsewhere it's not equivalent to what they could've spent on payroll at the MLB. 

Im not going into the math but whatever per season the Nationals were awarded, plus our national tv share , and what $30 per fan average cost to attend game ( which I'm sure I'm low balling for ticket, parking, and concessions). That doesn't include advertising revenues at the stadium, and other corporate sponsorships. 

I just don't understand why some of you guys buy the gloom and doom theory. Plus the unfounded concerns about the Angelos' family income and the law firm etc. Angelos made billions in the lawsuits for tobacco and asbestos alone.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I understand where you're coming from but these guys all have different situations that lump them in the dead money category.

Ellsbury, for example, is Mr. Glass.  He's perpetually hurt.

Pujols has not aged well, his body is beat up and he's slowed down by a significant amount.  Yet he still had a .734 OPS this year...I think we'd all take that from Davis.  It's certainly dead money but it's not Davis dead money.

Cano...probably the same as Pujols.  Just hasn't aged well.  Dead money but still gave .3 bWAR last year...again, it's dead money but it's not Davis dead money.  

As much as I'd like to make it a black and white issue when comping these guys, it's not that easy.  It's math, but it's certainly very much baseball, too.

Not to mention, for Pujols, you are also making money on his milestones from ticket sales.  He's got a few more left.  Hell, I will take a .650 OPS and league average defense from Chris Davis at this point if he can work counts and be a nuisance at the plate.  

A salary dump just isn't going to happen.  Because Davis is so bad at the plate, they would have to throw in more from our end for other teams to entertain it.  And it's just not worth giving up a prospect flier for that when we are still a couple years from competing.  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

We are only committed to about 40 million in the next 2 years and only Davis' 23 million in 2022. Even estimates including has us at about 70 million next season.

If the Orioles wanted to they could afford a payroll in the 150-170 million range based just on the shares of the National TV contract and their revenue from MASN. As the team gets better so will the hone gates and concessions.

They dumped salary in 2018 and played cheap this season. So even though they've directed money elsewhere it's not equivalent to what they could've spent on payroll at the MLB. 

Im not going into the math but whatever per season the Nationals were awarded, plus our national tv share , and what $30 per fan average cost to attend game ( which I'm sure I'm low balling for ticket, parking, and concessions). That doesn't include advertising revenues at the stadium, and other corporate sponsorships. 

I just don't understand why some of you guys buy the gloom and doom theory. Plus the unfounded concerns about the Angelos' family income and the law firm etc. Angelos made billions in the lawsuits for tobacco and asbestos alone.

Davis’ salary is only 16 million next season.