Chris Davis salary dump matches

Just Regular

14 hours ago, atomic said:

Davis’ salary is only 16 million next season.  

They also have to escrow a discounted portion of his $7 mm in deferred compensation from 2018.    So, that’s money that can’t be spent elsewhere.    

The deferred comp rule is that the discounted value of the deferred comp must go into escrow 18 months after the season in which it’s earned.    So, they’ve already had to escrow the 2016-17 deferred comp (discounted).    

On 10/21/2019 at 8:21 AM, Roll Tide said:

We are only committed to about 40 million in the next 2 years and only Davis' 23 million in 2022. Even estimates including has us at about 70 million next season.

If the Orioles wanted to they could afford a payroll in the 150-170 million range based just on the shares of the National TV contract and their revenue from MASN. As the team gets better so will the hone gates and concessions.

They dumped salary in 2018 and played cheap this season. So even though they've directed money elsewhere it's not equivalent to what they could've spent on payroll at the MLB. 

Im not going into the math but whatever per season the Nationals were awarded, plus our national tv share , and what $30 per fan average cost to attend game ( which I'm sure I'm low balling for ticket, parking, and concessions). That doesn't include advertising revenues at the stadium, and other corporate sponsorships. 

I just don't understand why some of you guys buy the gloom and doom theory. Plus the unfounded concerns about the Angelos' family income and the law firm etc. Angelos made billions in the lawsuits for tobacco and asbestos alone.

According to baseball reference, each team is guaranteed just over $200 million from revenue sharing + national revenue share (TV contract, merchandising, etc.).  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

And that doesn't include local revenue (of which they would get 52%)

I know they are other expenses besides just player salaries, but I'm not sure why every teams can't afford a minimum $150 million player payroll.

I bet this comes up at the next CBA.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

9 minutes ago, GuidoSarducci said:

According to baseball reference, each team is guaranteed just over $200 million from revenue sharing + national revenue share (TV contract, merchandising, etc.).  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Revenue_sharing

And that doesn't include local revenue (of which they would get 52%)

I know they are other expenses besides just player salaries, but I'm not sure why every teams can't afford a minimum $150 million player payroll.

I bet this comes up at the next CBA.

Great post ... I agree with you. 

And the Nationals TV rights upheld this summer are about $60 million per season. So the Orioles allocation is certainly more if just slightly 

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not yet.

He's at -.5 rWAR for 92M.

Red Sox signed Sandoval for 5/96 and he gave them -2.1rWAR.

All depends how you want to measure it.  Albert Pujols has been paid $181 mm and per Fangraphs has been worth $45 mm, a $136 mm deficit.    More forthcoming when I do my thread on the $100 mm+ contracts.   

Why not just buy him out... Per Cots he is owed 17 mil for the next 3 yrs for 51 mil and then 42 mil over the next 15 yrs for a total of 18 yrs/93 mil.

Make him a F/A (giving him 3 yrs of freedom in his early 30's). Divide 93 mil by 18ys and you get 5.1667 per year. Chris gets all his money plus 3 yrs of time off in the buyout.

The O's get him off the 40/25 man rosters and save 11.84 mil a yr for 3 yrs.

4 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Why not just buy him out... Per Cots he is owed 17 mil for the next 3 yrs for 51 mil and then 42 mil over the next 15 yrs.

I want him gone more than most.here and have tried that logic before. I don't think Scott BoreAss would let CD agree as it would affect the money the agent gets and when. I would sweeten the pot to pay SB directly his percentage each of the next 3 years on time and subtract from the remaining total. It won't happen.  He gets part of next year to show ME tried

59 minutes ago, weams said:

He evidently did not save it then as most of his net worth is in the appreciation of the Orioles franchise and MASN. 

Unclear what his take was from asbestos, but Wikipedia mentions $330 mm from one huge asbestos litigation.   His firm got $150 mm from the tobacco cases.    My guess is he’s gotten several hundred million more in other cases, but not necessarily billions.

It’s also important to realize that he’s paying for all the law office operations and a staff of something like 100 lawyers out of that money.    Some of those lawyers probably are pretty highly compensated themselves.    It’s not like the fees he earns are pure profit going solely into his pocket.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

All depends how you want to measure it.  Albert Pujols has been paid $181 mm and per Fangraphs has been worth $45 mm, a $136 mm deficit.    More forthcoming when I do my thread on the $100 mm+ contracts.   

Yeah, but how much of that also offsets how much money they are making when he has milestone events coming up.  

Also, I'm still not 100% on his age being legit either. 

2 hours ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Why not just buy him out... Per Cots he is owed 17 mil for the next 3 yrs for 51 mil and then 42 mil over the next 15 yrs for a total of 18 yrs/93 mil.

Make him a F/A (giving him 3 yrs of freedom in his early 30's). Divide 93 mil by 18ys and you get 5.1667 per year. Chris gets all his money plus 3 yrs of time off in the buyout.

The O's get him off the 40/25 man rosters and save 11.84 mil a yr for 3 yrs.

MLBPA would be all over it, since all of the contracts for players are fully guaranteed.  They would never let something like that happen.  

27 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

MLBPA would be all over it, since all of the contracts for players are fully guaranteed.  They would never let something like that happen.  

They have no means to stop it.  Yes the money is guaranteed but if Davis were to agree to a buyout they would be powerless.