Orioles 2011 Draft

weams

Anthony Rendon in a Mariners uniform?  It isn’t like to happen via free agency this offseason, though it was almost a reality back in 2011 when the M’s heavily scouted Rendon as the second overall pick in the draft, The Athletic’s Corey Brock writes (subscription required).  “Going into the draft, [Rendon] was probably the player a lot of people thought we were going to take…and we did, too,” then-general manager Jack Zduriencik said.  The Mariners had other players on their radar, however, and as draft day approached, Danny Hultzen eventually emerged as the pick.  While selecting the highly-touted Hultzen was a perfectly respectable choice at the time, it ended up being a critical miss for Seattle —- Hultzen battled injuries throughout his career and only made his MLB debut this season, as a reliever for the Cubs.  Rendon, of course, has gone onto stardom, as have several other players from what now looks like a stacked draft class.  Rendon was the sixth overall pick, and Trevor Bauer (3rd), Francisco Lindor (8th), Javier Baez (9th), and George Springer (11th) also went in the top half of the first round.

MLBTR

https://www.camdenchat.com/2014/5/14/5715142/orioles-draft-review-2011

1st Round, 4th Overall - Dylan Bundy - Owasso HS  (Owasso, OK) - SP

Bundy was not exactly a controversial pick, but there was some discussion at the time of the Orioles possibly taking fellow Oklahoman Archie Bradley or polished college infielder Anthony Rendon with the 4th pick. Bundy didn't make his professional debut until the magical year of 2012. Bundy deftly moved through the system in 23 starts (29.9 K% across three levels) culminating in a two game cup of coffee. After such a promising start, Orioles fans have been made to wait for more as Bundy underwent Tommy John surgery shortly after Spring Training in 2013. That being said, talent evaluators still consider Bundy a top prospect for the Orioles and one of the top prospects in Major League Baseball and Bundy figures to make his 2014 debut within the month.

5 hours ago, weams said:

I was one of the folks strongly against Rendon because I thought his ankle would be a career non-starter. What do I know. 

When it comes to injuries, it’s a crapshoot.    There were legit reasons for concern.  He didn’t play in the minors the year he was drafted, and only 43 games the following year.    Despite that, he made his major league debut only about 3 weeks into the 2013 season and was up to stay by early  June.    Gifted, gifted hitter, and a better fielder than he was rated as a collegian.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'm comfortable with my position at the time, which was Rendon, Cole, Bundy, in that order. 

As an aside, that was an insanely talented draft class. Lindor, Baez, Springer and more followed. 

That draft was loaded with impact MLB players.  Heck, Aaron Nola went in the 22nd round of that draft (#679 overall).  Everybody missed out on that one.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wow, just a loaded draft. Grow the bats, buy the arms. It’s the safest way to build a system. Seems like that’s what HOU did, especially after Prior and that #1 pick that didn’t sign. 

Grow the bats. Build the bullpen. Then go out and get SP. 

Yeah pitchers are so prone to injury. If you can get someone like Bregman or Machado you have to take them over any pitcher.  

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wow, just a loaded draft. Grow the bats, buy the arms. It’s the safest way to build a system. Seems like that’s what HOU did, especially after Prior and that #1 pick that didn’t sign. 

Grow the bats. Build the bullpen. Then go out and get SP. 

Buy the right arms, ideally. The Orioles' track record doing so has been abysmal, but hopefully that changes.