Roster moves in the next two days

wildcard

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

From the scout series of articles on The Athletic with Dan Connolly, the comments on Sedlock were pretty brutal:

Scout’s take: “Ahh, Sedlock. I finally saw him pitch. He reminds me of Jeff Hoffman (a former Blue Jays first-rounder), and that’s not a good thing. He has a really tough time timing himself (through his delivery). He has a lot of length on the back side and very funky body movement, which makes him very inconsistent. To me, he’s soft-looking on the mound. I would like to see him more confident and with a more aggressive presence. I see him as a bottom-end starter, who is probably gonna pitch in the big leagues because he was a first-round pick. But I think he is gonna be too soft, too many walks, too much picking and not enough challenging there.”

To be fair, Dan talks to some BUCK WILD scouts man. I dunno where he finds some of these guys. Not saying this guy isn't correct and nothing against Dan or anything, just that there have been some HIGHLY questionable "scout's takes" from his articles. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgjbanker said:

We need to be targeting the Padres for trades. No 40 man space and good prospects they need to protect. 

It's a good idea, even though the Padres might not have a 40 man crunch right now. There certainly are teams that do, and it would be an opportune time to throw around some of our leftover int'l signing slots to snag a player that's an upgrade to what we have.  

This is an evaluation by Elias of who might be taken in the Rule 5 draft and whether those players will stay with that team on their 26 man roster for at least 90 days or not.

He apparently believes that Sedlock and Fenter are will not be lost to the O's.  He has all the data.  I am sure Mike and his people have spent the time and effort to determine who are the most vulnerable.     

My only thought about Sedlock is similar to a portion of what that Dan Connelly Scout post mentioned: First rounders are always given extra looks. Everyone thinks they can recapture past glory with a scenery change. I don't know if Sedlock is as "soft" as advertised, but I kind of expect him to be grabbed in the draft. 

Orioles kinda did the same thing with Ryan Flaherty I think. "First rounder? Gimme"

41 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

My only thought about Sedlock is similar to a portion of what that Dan Connelly Scout post mentioned: First rounders are always given extra looks. Everyone thinks they can recapture past glory with a scenery change. I don't know if Sedlock is as "soft" as advertised, but I kind of expect him to be grabbed in the draft. 

Orioles kinda did the same thing with Ryan Flaherty I think. "First rounder? Gimme"

He’s a first rounder, but he’s a first round pick by the Orioles, and not say, the Cardinals. The Orioles have had some very curious logic surrounding some of their pics.

It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if he gets drafted, but boy it’ll surprise me a whole lot if he doesn’t get returned. He ain’t Joe Biagini.

Ryan Flaherty Was a very successful player for the Orioles for several years, but he wasn’t so successful that a team exec got fired for not protecting him.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

This is an evaluation by Elias of who might be taken in the Rule 5 draft and whether those players will stay with that team on their 26 man roster for at least 90 days or not.

He apparently believes that Sedlock and Fenter are will not be lost to the O's.  He has all the data.  I am sure Mike and his people have spent the time and effort to determine who are the most vulnerable.     

It could also be an evaluation that he just doesn't see those guys as being that good.

The advanced stats, measurements from motion sensing tools, and other factors that he is using to evaluate players' potential are probably unknown to just about everybody reading this.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Good take.    Either Sedlock or Fenter might be useful major league pitchers someday.    But they’re not likely to be that in 2020, and it’s unlikely they’ll be chosen (or if chosen, retained).     I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.   

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

The 90 days only comes into play if there is a 60 day injury. 

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm looking into this now, there are some potential upgrades to the back of the 40 I think. 

By the way, Luke with all of the concern about Tony riding off into greener and less time-consuming pastors, I hope you’re on the payroll here, and if you’re not, I hope you will talk to your big business friends and form a group that might be interested in buying the franchise, which of course needs to keep going.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

By the way, Luke with all of the concern about Tony riding off into greener and less time-consuming pastors, I hope you’re on the payroll here, and if you’re not, I hope you will talk to your big business friends and form a group that might be interested in buying the franchise, which of course needs to keep going.

I will contribute to the site as I do now as long as I'm welcome, but I don't have the time to run the site.

If I was up for that type of commitment, I'd be writing about prospects for a national outlet, I've had a few offers to write elsewhere.

The arrangement Tony and I have here works really well for me because I have the freedom to treat this more as a hobby than a job, which is important to me since I have a day job and a young family. 

• Upvote 1