Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

35 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is there any chance that Elias has a need to use the funds that would have gone to Villar now for investment facilities, player development and international signings? I would have preferred to keep Villar, but if Elias ends up using that money into yielding multiple prospects I'm ok with it. Plus short term it's not like Villar turns the Orioles into a team that wins 81+ games. 

Potentially. I don't really know, but would be much happier with the Villar trade if we knew the money was needed for some kind of investment in the future.

33 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How could Villar's value have been maximized any more than it was last season? He was in the midst of a career year, they shopped him, and no one was interested. Why would you play that game of Russian roulette again when the industry consensus is that he will regress in 2020? 

Well clearly Elias agree with you. Villar's value could go up with need by a contender and if he continues to play like he did last year. Villar is in his walk year so he has every reason to be in the best shape of his career and at 29-years old and with his skill set, it's doubtful he is going to have a huge regression. 

34 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How could Villar's value have been maximized any more than it was last season? He was in the midst of a career year, they shopped him, and no one was interested. Why would you play that game of Russian roulette again when the industry consensus is that he will regress in 2020? 

Villar wasn't really in the midst of a career year at the trade deadline. His OPS was in the mid-700's in July. 

In fact, he only had one month with an OPS above .800, and that was August when his OPS was above 1.000. 

In other words, he didn't have much value last July. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well clearly Elias agree with you. Villar's value could go up with need by a contender and if he continues to play like he did last year. Villar is in his walk year so he has every reason to be in the best shape of his career and at 29-years old and with his skill set, it's doubtful he is going to have a huge regression. 

Fangraphs has him projected for 17 HRs, 77 Runs, 66 RBI, 33 SBs, and .257 BA (with a .329 OBP). If he gets 600+ ABs again I think he can hit those numbers. If he doesn't, I think he'll fall short. And he'll provide you with average defense at 2B and below average defense at SS. Maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic, but I just don't see a player with those types of numbers being in high demand. If I'm wrong and the Marlins are able to flip him for a decent prospect I'll be the first to say I was wrong. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Villar wasn't really in the midst of a career year at the trade deadline. His OPS was in the mid-700's in July. 

In fact, he only had one month with an OPS above .800, and that was August when his OPS was above 1.000. 

In other words, he didn't have much value last July. 

I hear you, but there still limited interest after his career year. For whatever reason it's pretty clear the other MLB teams aren't buying his success.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I hear you, but there still limited interest after his career year. For whatever reason it's pretty clear the other MLB teams aren't buying his success.

End of July you were getting a mid .700's poor fielding 2b/SS. This is a guy who was traded with another piece for Jonathan Schoop.

End of year you're getting a guy whose arb # is $10 million and who had one great month but was otherwise mostly still the mid .700's average at best fielding middle infielder. 

I seriously think the O's made out big time just by letting him go. We'd be marginally better with him, IMO, at a cost of $10 m. I don't think he'll net a great return at all at this year's deadline, but I guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

End of July you were getting a mid .700's poor fielding 2b/SS. This is a guy who was traded with another piece for Jonathan Schoop.

End of year you're getting a guy whose arb # is $10 million and who had one great month but was otherwise mostly still the mid .700's average at best fielding middle infielder. 

I seriously think the O's made out big time just by letting him go. We'd be marginally better with him, IMO, at a cost of $10 m. I don't think he'll net a great return at all at this year's deadline, but I guess we'll see.

Agree 100% with your last sentence. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think you're going Jeter too much credit. Jeter is the Elway of MLB. He's an idiot with zero long term vision or game plan for the franchise. This is just one of many stream of consciousness type moves since he's taken over the reigns. That Gallen for Chisholm trade he made last year was a terrible move too. 

Jeter makes Elway look like Bill Belichick in comparison. Jeter is only doing the job because he was given an ownership stake. Why would he want to do the day-to-day work of a MLB GM after making $265M in career earnings from the Yankees alone not including endorsements. He doesn't. 

I don't know who is really the day-to-day GM for the Marlins, but it's certainly not Jeter. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They didn't. It's just another reason to bitch, complain and second guess. 

So, if someone agrees with a lot of decisions by Elias and the general direction/strategy taken, but disagrees with one, they are bitching and complaining?  I guess that's one way to address any issues raised.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think the league told Jeter he had to have at least a few players on the team making over the minimum or it might hurt negotiations on the new CBA.  I think that's the only reason they acquired Villar.

And we are immune to such criticism because of the Davis albatross?

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jeter makes Elway look like Bill Belichick in comparison. Jeter is only doing the job because he was given an ownership stake. Why would he want to do the day-to-day work of a MLB GM after making $265M in career earnings from the Yankees alone not including endorsements. He doesn't. 

I don't know who is really the day-to-day GM for the Marlins, but it's certainly not Jeter. 

Elway signed Peyton Manning on the FA market, which makes him a great GM/VP. Manning wasn’t a Titan. They tried offering him a stake in the team. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There is a real Harvard educated GM in Miami and he is [not] an ex jock. 

I'm struggling to understand this:

So, how much better is 31-year old Tommy Pham than Villar? He plays a different position, but still... I wouldn't think Pham is a more valuable commodity v. Villar.

We got virtually nothing in return for Villar, yet the Rays seemed to have made out quite well. Pham is being paid 8.6 million this coming season... and will go to Arb 3 in 2021 before heading to FA. So the money would appear similar for 2020.  I may be looking at this wrong, but it seems to me that the Padres overpaid or we were shorted.