O's sign INF Dilson Herrera to MiL deal

interloper

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I had a student, who is about 6 foot four and was the shortest and youngest of the nine sons that his parents had brought into the world.

Every time he came to a lesson, his mom drove him up in a 15 passenger van, which apparently was the only thing that could fit the whole family, ha ha.

I used to have a partner who had 8 kids.   The way I found out was one day he asked me if I had kids.   I said “yes, they’re 12, 9 and 6.”    Then I asked if he had kids, and he said yes.   I asked how old and he said “24, 22, 20, 18, 15, 12, 10 and 8.”    As he was going down the list, I was wondering when he was going to stop, but impressed he could rattle off their ages without thinking about it.    

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I used to have a partner who had 8 kids.   The way I found out was one day he asked me if I had kids.   I said “yes, they’re 12, 9 and 6.”    Then I asked if he had kids, and he said yes.   I asked how old and he said “24, 22, 20, 18, 15, 12, 10 and 8.”    As he was going down the list, I was wondering when he was going to stop, but impressed he could rattle off their ages without thinking about it.    

There was no one to correct him so he shouldn't have hesitated.   He could have been calling an audible.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were they all with the same wife?

5 hours ago, jamalshw said:

With Villar moved, the team needs some more middle infield depth. Who knows, maybe he shows something in Spring Training. He was a top prospect back in the day. Maybe we get an infield of Valaika, Alberto, and Herrera on Opening Day. That's the kind of infield that strikes fear the in the hearts of...well, nobody.

From the Orioles' White Album:

[...]

Oh, show me round your dusty diamonds way down south,

Take me to the Norfolk farm.

Let me hear Pat Valaika's striking out,

Come and keep his benchmates warm.

We're back in the AAAA!

We've got no one to pla-ay:

Down in the Double-, down in the Triple-

Down in the AAAA!

41 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There was no one to correct him so he shouldn't have hesitated.   He could have been calling an audible.

The ages were probably easier to "remember" than their names: they're all at two-year intervals except the 18 / 15 / 12 stretch in the middle. My father often confused my and my sister's names even though we were the only children in the family. A near-genius who couldn't figure out some of the simplest things.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You can't carry any more than 13 pitchers.  Which is kind of like a law saying that you can't have any more than 11 kids: philosophically annoying, but realistically it only impacts crazy people.  If the Orioles were planning on carrying 14 pitchers we'd have bigger problems.

The team that won the World Series carried 12 position players for the majority of the season.  

I was wondering if teams had that roster flexibility, especially if one group was heavy with non-option able players.

Thanks for answering the question.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Should have asked him to repeat it like Good Will Hunting.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:54 PM, jamalshw said:

With Villar moved, the team needs some more middle infield depth. Who knows, maybe he shows something in Spring Training. He was a top prospect back in the day. Maybe we get an infield of Valaika, Alberto, and Herrera on Opening Day. That's the kind of infield that strikes fear the in the hearts of...well, nobody.

Unfortunately, it strikes fear in the hearts of Orioles fans.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

As the replacement for Villar, this signing definitely gives me a shudder. I guess we're going for the all time loss record. 

This is just a minor league signing.   No reason to think this is Plan A for replacing Villar.    

• Upvote 1