Chris Tillman Showcase

Il BuonO

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Buck gave him three million guaranteed when his shoulder was still useless. What’s he worth now that it’s fixed?

You aren’t going to get a decent starter for 3 million in the free agent market. You saw what Gausman received.  Even at 15 million a year for a starter you most likely are going to get bad results.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You aren’t going to get a decent starter for 3 million in the free agent market. You saw what Gausman received.  Even at 15 million a year for a starter you most likely are going to get bad results.  

My point was that whoever gave him $3 million guaranteed was an idiot. Whether it was Buck or Dan or Brady, whoever did it was an idiot. No one in all of baseball was offering anything more than a minor-league deal that the tigers were offering. The Os just frittered away a Significant amount of money without even bothering to prepare for the considerable possibility that it would be wasted.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

My point was that whoever gave him $3 million guaranteed was an idiot. Whether it was Buck or Dan or Brady, whoever did it was an idiot. No one in all of baseball was offering anything more than a minor-league deal that the tigers were offering. The Os just frittered away a Significant amount of money without even bothering to prepare for the considerable possibility that it would be wasted.

Minor league deal made sense.  Maybe they were just giving him something extra as he helped the team a lot and never got a free agency payday.  I don’t think it was DD   Who wanted him.  As Roch reported many times that someone with the Orioles said that the coaches couldn’t fix him last year (2017) so why would they think they could fix him now (2018).  I am guessing that was DD .  

But he was more likely to be effective than Karns was this year and he was given a major league deal. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Minor league deal made sense.  Maybe they were just giving him something extra as he helped the team a lot and never got a free agency payday.  I don’t think it was DD   Who wanted him.  As Roch reported many times that someone with the Orioles said that the coaches couldn’t fix him last year (2017) so why would they think they could fix him now (2018).  I am guessing that was DD .  

But he was more likely to be effective than Karns was this year and he was given a major league deal. 

Karns got 800K.

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don’t know who gave Tillman the guaranteed major-league deal, but whoever it was was an idiot. A minor-league deal, fine great. But they didn’t do that.  Water under the bridge, he’s gone and all the idiots are gone, turn the page. 

Karns Was a fine risk, he was guaranteed $800,000, which is nothing. It failed, and Straily failed, But it was a worthwhile gamble.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know who gave Tillman the guaranteed major-league deal, but whoever it was was an idiot. A minor-league deal, fine great. But they didn’t do that.  Water under the bridge, he’s gone and all the idiots are gone, turn the page. 

Karns Was a fine risk, he was guaranteed $800,000, which is nothing. It failed, and Straily failed, But it was a worthwhile gamble.

Karns was an idiot move. Throwing 800k down the drain. It wasn’t a gamble.  The result is exactly what anyone would have expected.

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

Karns was an idiot move. Throwing 800k down the drain. It wasn’t a gamble.  The result is exactly what anyone would have expected.

Beg to differ. 3 million guaranteed was an idiot move, money down the drain etc etc.

But 800,000 was worth a gamble. At today’s prices even TILLMAN is worth an 800K flyer.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Hindsight is 20/20, they say. I thought Karns was a good try at finding an innings eater on the cheap. bpilktree was also interested in signing Karns. I don't think either of us would have expected the signing to work out so poorly. This guy didn't expect the results from Karns, either.

Interesting FAs

Luke-OH replied to wildcard's topic in Orioles Talk

Karns and Martin Perez are really the only guys I'm interested in. Both are going to be very cheap and have a chance to be serviceable back-end rotation pieces.

As long as Brady is nowhere near the “showcase”, I trust that we now have some individuals who can ascertain if he can actually pitch or not without bringing their personal biases and drama along for the ride.  

I say he will not, but will wait and see.    Chris Tillman suitcase is more like it. 

I'm probably one of the biggest Tilly fans here, and I'll forever be thankful for his steady, stabilizing presence in our rotation at a time when we desperately needed it. 

That said, given where this franchise currently is, I'd just as soon use that flier on a, say, 25-28 y.o. with a clean arm, than on a soon-to-be 32-y.o. with a surgically repaired shoulder who hasn't pitched competitively since 2018. Let's move on.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1