Which of these would constitute a successful decade (choose as many as you like)?

Frobby

Which of these would constitute a successful decade (choose as many as you want)?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these would constitute a successful decade (choose as many as you like)

• Winning a World Series, regardless of how we do the other years
    • Making the World Series at least once, with other playoff appearances
    • Making the playoffs at least four times
    • Being in playoff contention most years, with an occasional playoff appearance
    • Finishing over .500 most of the time, with occasional playoff appearances
    • Beating the Yankees in a playoff series, regardless of how we did the other years
    • Having more winning seasons than not
    • Winning at least one World Series and being serious contenders in other years

What will it take for you to consider the 2020’s a successful decade for the Orioles?    Take into account the current state of the team and the competitive environment in which they compete.

I’ve thrown out a variety of scenarios, and you don’t need to limit yourself to one choice.     Do we have to win a World Series for the decade to be successful?    If we do, does it matter what happens in the other years?    Is consistent contention more or less important than one ultimate chsmpionship?

If there are scenarios not included in the poll that you would consider a success, let us know about those, too.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

What will it take for you to consider the 2020’s a successful decade for the Orioles?    Take into account the current state of the team and the competitive environment in which they compete.

I’ve thrown out a variety of scenarios, and you don’t need to limit yourself to one choice.     Do we have to win a World Series for the decade to be successful?    If we do, does it matter what happens in the other years?    Is consistent contention more or less important than one ultimate chsmpionship?

If there are scenarios not included in the poll that you would consider a success, let us know about those, too.    

Option 2 for me.

I would consider 2, 3, and 8 to be succesfull for different reasons. 

I want a world seriea win, and would consider that a success even if we only made the playoffs the year we won it all.

I would also consider 4 playoff appearances a success, though probably only if that included winning at least one division series.

Multiple playoff appearances and a world series loss would be pretty good too, but tough to swallow.

All of those would constitute a successful decade to me, but of course the only way to say that any future success was an absolute and not debatable is to win the frickin' world series!

I was hoping one of our teams from 2012- 2018 would have won a World Series, but, as good as they were, we didn't have the starting pitching, and it didn't happen. Now, with this rebuild, I'm expecting at least one Championship by 2030, and it would be nice to have a few Cy Young winners to boast about too...

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

It would take a World Series win for me. I was still relatively young in '83. That was a long time ago.

Me too.  I was young in 1966..lol   So I am greedy. 

But my kids were born in 86 and 89 and have been promised World Series tickets since they were born. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I voted my heart and sold my soul. Let Us Win Again! Orioles 2025 World Champions!

But, really, it would be better -- far better, more interesting, more exciting -- to keep going to the playoffs and make two losing trips to the World Series than it would to be to win one World Series and be non-competitive the other nine years.

3 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Me too.  I was young in 1966..lol   So I am greedy. 

But my kids were born in 86 and 89 and have been promised World Series tickets since they were born. 

I was really young in '66. If the O's got into the WS I have no doubt my oldest Son would insist we went.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I would say the teens we're successful, if disappointing in the end. Of course, it is not black and white. .500 for the decade would be more successful than .490. 

I don’t consider having the 4th worst record of any team in baseball a successful decade.    Compared the the prior decade, it was way better, but that’s a super low bar.     

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

I was really young in '66. If the O's got into the WS I have no doubt my oldest Son would insist we went.

I have been truly blessed. I went to game 3 in 1966 with my Dad when I was 9 years old. I went to a game in each of the 1969, 1970, 1971, 1979 and 1983 World Series (as well as a number of playoff games during those years and as recently as the 2014 Delmon Young double game) .    And either I will get to the next one or they can plant the championship  flag on my grave...lol. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t consider having the 4th worst record of any team in baseball a successful decade.    Compared the the prior decade, it was way better, but that’s a super low bar.     

Didn't realize it was that bad overall. We had the best record for a good stretch. A couple of wild cards and one divisional title beats the 2000's. I am OK with really low lows as long as there are some highs mixed in. Realistically, the Yankees, Red Six, and Jays are going to buy more than their share of division titles. 3-4 playoff appearances would seem to be success bases on recent history.