O's sign Wade LeBlanc

Yardball85

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not sure I understand this signing. He's a soft tossing 35-year old lefty who was in the bottom 10% of the league in xBA and xSLG. Similiar to Means, his best pitch is a changeup and last year he went to a cutter over his sinker more times than not. The cutter got hit pretty hard, but so did his sinker so maybe they will scrap both and have him go to a pure four seamer which had a little bit of success last year when up in the zone, even though it has low spin rate.

https://sporty-clips.mlb.com/46dacf61-a1a4-465a-91c0-740f35af715f.mp4

Either way, I realize there is not a lot of good competition for starter innings, but not sure where the upside is here because the chance of a soft tossing lefty who had a penchant of giving up home runs is going to regain any kind of trade value by the trading deadline is slim.

Guess best case scenario he's able to eat some inning and somehow get on a run that we can move him for a Cashner like return.

A sizzling 85 on that heater!

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No argument here, but LeBlanc was very good in the rebooted Top Gear.  Surprisingly good.

As for Wade LeBlanc it's only a matter of time until someone says it, so I'll just get it out of the way... Maybe he's the next Jamie Moyer,  All mediocre lefties with 88 mph fastballs have a 0.001% chance of miraculously having a near-HOF career that lasts into their late 40s.

Matt LeBlanc was great in a Showtime series called Episodes.   He played himself, basically, or a comical version of himself.   This British writer couple had a series on British TV about a headmaster teaching life lessons to the students at a boys boarding school, and it got adapted for American TV so they moved to Hollywood to create the American version of the series.   But in the US it got converted to a slapstick comedy about a high school hockey team called "Pucks!" and the headmaster was replaced by the hockey coach, played by LeBlanc.   A fish out of water comedy as the British couple had to adapt to America, Hollywood, sleazy producers and TV executives, and LeBlanc himself as a egotistical womanizing ultra-narcissistic actor.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

The question is, who are you DFAing for LeBlanc in the event he cracks the 26-man?

It's one thing to swap still-young waiver wire guys, it's quite another to punt one of those in order to add a 35-yr-old innings eater who won't be around next year. 

There's still plenty of DFA fodder on the 40 man roster.  If LeBlanc does make the rotation, that probably means he has beaten out David Hess for a spot and there might not be any room in Norfolk's rotation for Hess.

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Matt LeBlanc was great in a Showtime series called Episodes.   He played himself, basically, or a comical version of himself.   This British writer couple had a series on British TV about a headmaster teaching life lessons to the students at a boys boarding school, and it got adapted for American TV so they moved to Hollywood to create the American version of the series.   But in the US it got converted to a slapstick comedy about a high school hockey team called "Pucks!" and the headmaster was replaced by the hockey coach, played by LeBlanc.   A fish out of water comedy as the British couple had to adapt to America, Hollywood, sleazy producers and TV executives, and LeBlanc himself as a egotistical womanizing ultra-narcissistic actor.

They referenced that show occasionally on Top Gear, and I've wanted to watch it.  I think I saw part of one episode.  I need to add it to the queue.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

The question is, who are you DFAing for LeBlanc in the event he cracks the 26-man?

It's one thing to swap still-young waiver wire guys, it's quite another to punt one of those in order to add a 35-yr-old innings eater who won't be around next year. 

I view him almost as injury insurance this spring. I don't think the Orioles want Akin or Kremer in the rotation to start the year. If Cobb is healthy, we have Cobb, Means and Wojo in the rotation with Stewart and Bailey? Rucker is an option, but I think he's more likely in competition for the pen. LeBlanc could beat out Stewart, but it seems more so that they're looking to fill the April and May innings with someone other than the rookies and need quantity to help ensure that.

It is a slow offseason.  Everyone is worried about Leblanc being in the rotation.  Most these contracts are just spring training invites to see if they can do anything, if not they are cut last week of Minors spring training or in June when they've been at AAA, not been called up, and request a release.   We are taking fliers on anyone and everyone right now.  

• Upvote 1