O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

2 hours ago, REDMAN said:

Same as me reaching the age of 65, I qualified for Medicare, but I still have to pay for it, qualified doesn't mean I get it free.

I am fully vested in my union’s pension, which is kind of laughable because of many reasons. Not being fully vested just means you don’t get the full value. If you qualify You don’t get the same amount that a fully vested member of the plan would get(How many players actually have a career of 10 years?) but you still get something, so after one day these guys get healthcare and after 43 or 43 days, they get their pension. The minimum pension is $34,000. I don’t know when a player is eligible to receive that pension. I haven’t been able to find out whether they start getting it when they officially retire or when they reach the age of 62 or 65. I don’t know. It’s possible that you and I are both correct and we are differing only in degree.

Edited by Philip

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Lakins still doesn’t show in MLB.coms top 30. Which I’m sure would’ve been updated by now. It’s hard to he doesn’t rate higher than Dillon Tate, J Ortiz, or JC Encarcion

From what I've seen and read of him he rates above them for me. Probably close to Tate though.

• Thanks 1

Does this seem questionable to people:

Player A from 31-34 years old

.297 .364 .542 .906

Player A from 35-38 years old

.298 .395 .593 .988

How many players become a better hitter from 35-38 years old playing in the same home stadium (Note: fences were brought in 10 feet  in power alleys during the second span)?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Lakins still doesn’t show in MLB.coms top 30. Which I’m sure would’ve been updated by now. It’s hard to he doesn’t rate higher than Dillon Tate, J Ortiz, or JC Encarcion

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From what I've seen and read of him he rates above them for me. Probably close to Tate though.

The mlb.com top 30 list for the O’s is pretty dubious.   Neither Encarnacion nor Ortiz is on the OH list.     Ortiz was dropped from the 40-man roster and not invited to spring training, so the O’s almost certainly regard Lakins more highly since they deemed him worthy of a 40-man roster spot.    Tate was 26 on the OH list, so if Tony is saying that Lakins probably would be close to Tate, that’s saying he’d be near the bottom of our top 30.   

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I am fully vested in my union’s pension, which is kind of laughable because of many reasons. Not being fully vested just means you don’t get the full value. If you qualify You don’t get the same amount that a fully vested member of the plan would get(How many players actually have a career of 10 years?) but you still get something, so after one day these guys get healthcare and after 43 or 43 days, they get their pension. The minimum pension is $34,000. I don’t know when a player is eligible to receive that pension. I haven’t been able to find out whether they start getting it when they officially retire or when they reach the age of 62 or 65. I don’t know. It’s possible that you and I are both correct and we are differing only in degree.

We both are missing a relative point, just like the NFL, the pensions are grandfather to certain points in time, I would bet that Johnson pension is far less than current players with 3 1/2 years. I remember this because of John Unitas problem before his death. The CBA changes every time it comes up, players formally in it sometimes don't apply to the new rules.

Edited by REDMAN
added content
  • Upvote 1

Not on topic, but I play golf with someone who has the same disorder as Chris Davis, I have worked with many players to help them improve, many getting them down in the low 80, I have tried everything with him to help, nothing works, he even went to the doctors who gave him the drug Davis used after Adderell, it didn't work. I can get him to play well for 3/4 holes at a time, but not 18, and he doesn't want to change, I changed my swing to the Chamblee swing, probably the easiest swing to use and I have great results, he refuses to try it. It is very hard to change people who have this disorder like Davis.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I guess we all have our pet causes.    I just hate to see a discussion of a somewhat marginal player get derailed by our 73rd discussion of the topic of amphetamines vs. steroids.    Not that Wilkerson is that exciting of a topic, either.   

You aren’t excited talking about a 28 year old ,well below replacement level player without a position?  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

I expect ol' Stevie to clear wavers and be in the mix in ST. His best chance to be in the bigs is with this team, so I don't think he refuses an assignment. Norfolk needs outfielders anyway. 

Not really. They will probably open the season with Mountcastle, Mullins and Diaz in the outfield if Mason Williams makes the Orioles, with DJ Stewart as another outfield option if healthy. I wouldn't play Stevie over any of those guys. And Dilson Herrera is more interesting at second than Stevie. They have an opening at first base.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Not really. They will probably open the season with Mountcastle, Mullins and Diaz in the outfield if Mason Williams makes the Orioles, with DJ Stewart as another outfield option if healthy. I wouldn't play Stevie over any of those guys. And Dilson Herrera is more interesting at second than Stevie. They have an opening at first base.

You're right, I'm not sure why I thought that haha. 

I'm looking forward to checking out Herrara this spring. 

15 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Unless Mountcastle plays first

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Unless Mountcastle plays first

Yeah, if the goal was to try to have Norfolk win the most games possible that would be the plan. I expect Mountcastle to play the corner outfield before getting called up, unless the Orioles decide both (1) to release Davis and (2) that Mancini is a better corner outfielder than Mountcastle, neither of which I expect to happen.