O's Sign LHP Tommy Milone

robin147

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m guessing only one of them will be in the organization by the end of spring training.   

When you consider that we might have a Norfolk rotation completely full of prospects... I think quite a few guys who lose out in the battle for a spot in the starting rotation will wind up being released.   Blach, Hess, Milone, etc.   There might not be room for those guys in Norfolk.

Unlike last year when Norfolk was chock full of guys who weren' t prospects.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Leblanc and Millone aren’t meant to move the needle. They’re here to cover innings.  They’re here to be sparring partners and take beatings. Plain and simple. Why spend any money to fill that role?  

Is Millone’s profile really that much different than what Gallardo’s was while he was here?  Instead we gave Gallardo 2/16.  

The prospects are getting a full year of AAA. We’re in no hurry to add them to the 40 man and start their service time clocks.  Heck, Akin might get another half season in AAA. 

This is how we avoid situations like David Hess and Mike Wright. We’re going to identify what our prospects need to fix before they come to the MLB. Like Akin. Then we’ll know what we have. 

Yep, this is on point. Great comment about Gallardo as well. Baseball execs are definitely getting smarter about how they spend their money which is why Milone and LeBlanc can now be had on minor league contracts instead of guaranteed money. If they prove to be decent, I expect both to make the team.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

When you consider that we might have a Norfolk rotation completely full of prospects... I think quite a few guys who lose out in the battle for a spot in the starting rotation will wind up being released.   Blach, Hess, Milone, etc.   There might not be room for those guys in Norfolk.

Unlike last year when Norfolk was chock full of guys who weren' t prospects.

They aren't going to release Hess without seeing what he looks like in a reliever role. I could certainly see Blach getting released.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Millone’s profile really that much different than what Gallardo’s was while he was here?  Instead we gave Gallardo 2/16. 

We actually gave Gallardo 2/$20 mm.   Luckily we were able to palm the second year ($11 mm) off on Seattle.    

But I wouldn’t equate Milone’s track record with Gallardo’s to that point.   Not even close.  Gallardo was going into his age 30 season, had a career 111 ERA+ and had been worth 19.3 rWAR to that point.    He’d thrown 180+ innings six years in a row and was coming off a 124 ERA+, 3.9 rWAR season.     Yeah, there were some warning signs, but let’s not say he was that close to Milone, who will be 33 this season, has a career ERA+ of 90, career WAR of 4.7, has only thrown more than 160 innings once (190 in 2012) and last had an ERA+ over 100 in 2015.    It’s really apples and oranges.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep, this is on point. Great comment about Gallardo as well. Baseball execs are definitely getting smarter about how they spend their money which is why Milone and LeBlanc can now be had on minor league contracts instead of guaranteed money. If they prove to be decent, I expect both to make the team.

Baseball's lower middle class FAs have definitely lost a lot of leverage. Iglesias is on about the same contract Cesar Izturis signed with the Orioles in 2008 and they're very similar players.

• 5 months later...

o

Milone is a funny guy.

18 OUTS: )  7 Groundouts, 4 Flyouts, 3 Strikeouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Foulout, 1 Popout

TOMASANTHONY MILONE )))))))) (vs. NATIONALS, 8/07)

IP:lll6

H:lllll3 ) l(1 Doubles, 2 Singles)

R:lllll0

BB:ll0 ) *

SO:ll3

Pitches: l) 90 )(61)Strikes, )29)Balls)

2020 ERA: l) 3.21 )  14.00 IP  (5 ER) 

2020 WHIP: l)  1.143  )  14.00 IP  (16 H/BB) 

2020 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: l)  .241  )(13 for 54)

* )) Milone had 1 Hit Batsman

PITCHES BY INNING  

14  lll(91 llStrikes, llllBalls)

15  ll(11 lllStrikes, llllBalls)

10  lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

23  ll(15 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

15  ll(10 lllStrikes, lllllBalls)

13  lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls) 

o