Chance Sisco 2020

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think he is unplayable at catcher, if he doesn’t improve significantly.

No matter how good his offense is, and his offense would have to improve dramatically to even make the question worth considering.

Well, we disagree about that, but let’s see how he plays this year, on both sides of the ball.     And, whether he makes the team.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What I’m saying is that if a guy has a .333 OBP (as Sisco did last year), I’d rather have that comprised of a .275 BA (50 hits) and 16 walks + HBP in 198 PA, rather than a .210 BA (35 hits) and 31 walks + HBP in 198 PA.

Sure, OBP derived from BA is more valuable.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, we disagree about that, but let’s see how he plays this year, on both sides of the ball.     And, whether he makes the team.   

No worries, you’re a reasonable person and reasonable people can disagree. I offered my roster predictions over in the other thread, and I don’t think he does make the team.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

No worries, you’re a reasonable person and reasonable people can disagree. I offered my roster predictions over in the other thread, and I don’t think he does make the team.

I saw that.     I disagree, but that’s just opinion based on very little other than the fact that they’d have to boot someone from the 40-man roster in order to add Holaday, which they won’t be in a hurry to do unless Sisco looks really inadequate this spring.    We’ll see.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw that.     I disagree, but that’s just opinion based on very little other than the fact that they’d have to boot someone from the 40-man roster in order to add Holaday, which they won’t be in a hurry to do unless Sisco looks really inadequate this spring.    We’ll see.   

I think they will add Holaday and delete Wynns, And I think that if Wynns doesn’t make the team he will be gone anyway, Because his spot will be needed for other players. So the need to add Holaday won’t be an impediment To his chances.

When making these decisions, I spent some time at FanGraphs looking up statistics. Holaday Has only 671 major league at bats, but he has shown both offensive and defensive ability, and right now he both hits and defends well enough That I would prefer him over Wynns or Sisco both, maybe even over Severino, Although it’s not really a very big sample size.

Edited by Philip

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think they will add Holaday and delete Wynns, And I think that if Wynns doesn’t make the team he will be gone anyway, Because his spot will be needed for other players. So the need to add Holaday won’t be an impediment To his chances.

When making these decisions, I spent some time at FanGraphs looking up statistics. Holaday Has only 671 major league at bats, but he has shown both offensive and defensive ability, and right now he both hits and defends well enough That I would prefer him over Wynns or Sisco both, maybe even over Severino, Although it’s not really a very big sample size.

I certainly don’t dismiss Holaday’s chances.    Let’s see how the spring goes.   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

You hit the nail on the head as far as my concerns about his offense go.    Also, even though his OBP was solid, it was very walk-driven and I’d like to see a batting average much better than last year’s.    

Isn’t a guys OBP being batting average-driven the typical lament...?

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Isn’t a guys OBP being batting average-driven the typical lament...?

You hear that lament when you have a player with a high BA but a low OBP.   But normally, if you hold OBP constant, you’d rather have the BA component be higher and the walk rate lower, for the simple reason that walks sometimes don’t advance a runner, and never advance a runner more than one base, whereas hits always advance a runner, and often by more than one base.     Of course, you also have to look at SLG to fully evaluate the player.

An interesting comparison from last year would be Chance Sisco vs. Hanser Alberto.    Sisco hit .210/.333/.396; Alberto hit .305/.329/.422.     Their OBP’s were close to equal; Alberto had the much higher BA; Alberto also had the higher SLG, but his ISO was much lower.    Per Fangraphs, they had a near identical wOBA: .319 for Sisco, .318 for Alberto.  But by BB-ref’s runs created per game, Alberto wins handily, 4.9 to 4.3.     I can’t really explain why wOBA and RC/G would yield such divergent results.    I would expect them to line up nicely.    Maybe @DrungoHazewood has a theory.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't drive in a runner on second with a walk.

Yep. And I agree with that. It just seemed that for a while all that mattered to a certain segment of the OH were getting on base via the walk and taking a bunch of pitches per plate appearance, base hits be damned. 

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yep. And I agree with that. It just seemed that for a while all that mattered to a certain segment of the OH were getting on base via the walk and taking a bunch of pitches per plate appearance, base hits be damned. 

I think the concept of running up pitch counts is incredibly overrated in these parts.  Probably because the Yankees and Red Sox used to do it to the O's in the steroid era. 

I don't think getting to the bullpen a hitter or two earlier is going to make much difference in a three game series.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You hear that lament when you have a player with a high BA but a low OBP.   But normally, if you hold OBP constant, you’d rather have the BA component be higher and the walk rate lower, for the simple reason that walks sometimes don’t advance a runner, and never advance a runner more than one base, whereas hits always advance a runner, and often by more than one base.     Of course, you also have to look at SLG to fully evaluate the player.

An interesting comparison from last year would be Chance Sisco vs. Hanser Alberto.    Sisco hit .210/.333/.396; Alberto hit .305/.329/.422.     Their OBP’s were close to equal; Alberto had the much higher BA; Alberto also had the higher SLG, but his ISO was much lower.    Per Fangraphs, they had a near identical wOBA: .319 for Sisco, .318 for Alberto.  But by BB-ref’s runs created per game, Alberto wins handily, 4.9 to 4.3.     I can’t really explain why wOBA and RC/G would yield such divergent results.    I would expect them to line up nicely.    Maybe @DrungoHazewood has a theory.   

And I agree with everything you say here. I’m not surprised that FG would be less bullish on More BA driven OBP. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the concept of running up pitch counts is incredibly overrated in these parts.  Probably because the Yankees and Red Sox used to do it to the O's in the steroid era. 

I don't think getting to the bullpen a hitter or two earlier is going to make much difference in a three game series.

I would add that the more effective way to run up pitch counts is likely through chaining hits/on base events together, rather than maximizing individual PA pitch counts. 

21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Glad to see that he's trying new things but quite frankly anyone who's catching games for the Orioles these next couple of years is just a placeholder for AR.

Unless Rutschman is going to catch 162 games, a lefty hitting backup catcher that can play passable defense would come in pretty handy.