Maryland vs. Northwestern

ArtVanDelay

15 minutes ago, Hallas said:

37-25 at the half.  Maryland ends the half by putting on a passing clinic followed by a Stix jam.

Penn State lost, so if we win this we have a 1 game cushion.  We'll probably need it given the rest of our schedule.

Big Ten basketball doesn't have tiebreakers, so we would actually have a two game cushion for a shared Big Ten title and a one game cushion for a non-shared title.

Apparently MD felt like they had this game won and came out flat in the second half. Not surprising really. This should be a blow out game but that's not a Turgeon run team staple now is it? 

They'll win this, but this has become a dogfight as just about everyone but Stix has decided to take an early breather.

59 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, besides about 10 minutes in the second half, they played really well tonight. Stix was absolutely a beast with 22 points and 19 rebounds tonight. 

Two game lead with Penn State's loss tonight, but a real tough last five games. Let's see what they got.

You know, as good as the Terps looked for most of the game, it's a bit unnerving that we played well for the most part yet couldn't put a 1-13 NW squad away.  Maybe it speaks to parity in the B1G, maybe NW had a really good game, but when we play decently well vs a bad team and it's not a laugher, it's no wonder why Maryland has about the most pessimistic fanbase of the top-10 teams.

16 minutes ago, Hallas said:

You know, as good as the Terps looked for most of the game, it's a bit unnerving that we played well for the most part yet couldn't put a 1-13 NW squad away.  Maybe it speaks to parity in the B1G, maybe NW had a really good game, but when we play decently well vs a bad team and it's not a laugher, it's no wonder why Maryland has about the most pessimistic fanbase of the top-10 teams.

I do think teams play their A games against us, but special teams typically put a stomping on these kinds of teams. This is a weird team though, but until they win the Big-10 conference and make it to the elite 8, I'm going to be skeptical.

12 hours ago, murph said:

Took my nephew to his first ever MD game tonight.     The closeish game kept him in it the whole time.     That’s the only positive I have.   They definitely fell asleep at the wheel for a while.    

The other bright side is that the Terps continually show the ability to "turn it back on" when they need to when things get close. It would be nice if this team could focus for all 40 minutes. Saying that, Northwest did play very well during that span which highlighted even more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The other bright side is that the Terps continually show the ability to "turn it back on" when they need to when things get close. It would be nice if this team could focus for all 40 minutes. Saying that, Northwest did play very well during that span which highlighted even more.

Some of this is a lack of quality depth.  Turgeon pulled Stix I think when we were up 14, and NW proceeded to go on like a 9-2 run in about 4 minutes before Stix went back in and said "no" to NW.

BTW it dawned on me that your nightmare scenario must be for the Terps to lose to PSU in the B1G championship, then lose to PSU again in the national semifinal or the title game. ?

On 2/19/2020 at 12:39 PM, Tony-OH said:

I told my Son the other night it would be nice to see them play an entire game. That said, they are doing pretty good. We'll see what happens.