When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Miami and Tampa would be two places where I'd be like....yeah, nah.  No, really, the Twins are happy to host their games in a December World Series.

It'd have to be San Diego or something.  

San Diego would probably be the top candidate. The Rangers just built a new shiny ballpark, so they'd probably be considered as well.

Basically, wherever they do the World Baseball Classic games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be fine about a warm weather/neutral site World Series in December.  It's the idea that they'd have to start another season so quickly that's my concern.  If they played into December this year I think we might be looking at a reduced 2021 season, too.  

I'm not sure MLB wants to have most of their schedule directly competing with football.   Plus, if the World Series is in December that means you could have a regular season O's - Tigers matchup at Camden Yards on Veteran's Day.  At 9pm on November 12th last year in Baltimore it was 35 degrees with winds gusting to 20 mph.  You might get 48 people to show up for that.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not sure MLB wants to have most of their schedule directly competing with football.   Plus, if the World Series is in December that means you could have a regular season O's - Tigers matchup at Camden Yards on Veteran's Day.  At 9pm on November 12th last year in Baltimore it was 35 degrees with winds gusting to 20 mph.  You might get 48 people to show up for that.

No one wants to compete with football, I agree.  It would be a mess with the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB all playing games at the same time.  But like I said earlier, I think what this will really be about is the race between MLB/NBA to get games going this summer and who can have a captive audience first and worry about the rest later. 

I would have no interest in going to a game at OPACY that late in the year, I totally agree with that too.  

Just now, orpheus100 said:

What are the chances New York holds everything up.

Maybe some could play without any fans?

What NYC could be the first place done with the coronavirus.  The way it is spreading there everyone will be infected in a couple of months. I don't see the play without fans being a thing anyway.   It was really stupid for the Orioles to do that one game without fans.  

52 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

San Diego would probably be the top candidate. The Rangers just built a new shiny ballpark, so they'd probably be considered as well.

Basically, wherever they do the World Baseball Classic games.

The issue with that is the WBC represents the whole country. This would be teams that local fans may have no interest in. 

Obviously at this point many variables. Maybe they can extend the season a week but I personally would try to play the postseason when it is already scheduled. 

36 minutes ago, atomic said:

What NYC could be the first place done with the coronavirus.  The way it is spreading there everyone will be infected in a couple of months. I don't see the play without fans being a thing anyway.   It was really stupid for the Orioles to do that one game without fans.  

Actually Washington state is about two weeks ahead of NY. Peak is going to be for most around April 18 to around April 25th depending on the state. 

My friend who is a so called expert said perhaps baseball by July.He is very afraid of the second wave in the fall but that is his job to be afraid of the future.But hopes by then that one of  the five or more treatments might have found to be a reliable treatment. 

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

The issue with that is the WBC represents the whole country. This would be teams that local fans may have no interest in. 

Obviously at this point many variables. Maybe they can extend the season a week but I personally would try to play the postseason when it is already scheduled. 

I personally like teams playing the World Series in their own stadiums. In baseball, the stadiums are so unique. They mean so much more to the fanbase.

But, I think MLB would be attracted to the idea of scheduling the World Series at a neutral park. Then, like the Super Bowl, they could setup festivities and all that hoopla far in advance. Presently, you don't know where the games are going to be played until a few days beforehand.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Actually Washington state is about two weeks ahead of NY. Peak is going to be for most around April 18 to around April 25th depending on the state. 

My friend who is a so called expert said perhaps baseball by July.He is very afraid of the second wave in the fall but that is his job to be afraid of the future.But hopes by then that one of  the five or more treatments might have found to be a reliable treatment. 

Another possibility is herd immunity as well... something that may be developing in Great Britain.