MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The shorter the schedule gets, the better off the Orioles are.  Remember last July when they had a run where they won like nine out of 13?  If the season is just two weeks long the O's have a nearly realistic chance of making the playoffs.

O's vs Marlins in the WS.  Cool.

41 minutes ago, atomic said:

Maryland closes schools for another month but don’t expect them to open in a month.

“None of us can say in four weeks everything is going to be great,” Hogan said. “It’s somewhat aspirational.”

I’m not sure if I like this approach better than VA’s approach to close for the year or not.  It was a real gut punch to hear about the cancellation Monday afternoon.  We have unused snow days that can run to Spring Break.  I would have liked to see a plan put into place for distance learning.  Then, possibly, in May or June classes could meet in person.

27 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I’m not sure if I like this approach better than VA’s approach to close for the year or not.  It was a real gut punch to hear about the cancellation Monday afternoon.  We have unused snow days that can run to Spring Break.  I would have liked to see a plan put into place for distance learning.  Then, possibly, in May or June classes could meet in person.

Have they no tasks for the students to do at all?  They should be able to assign tasks and send them in.   My daughter is in Kindergarten and she has tasks she is supposed to do each day.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

My daughter's school is doing distance learning.    

I’m in Fairfax.  VA has closed schools for the year, but I believe the school districts can implement distance learning.  I know FCPS is trying to figure that out.  Two hurdles are availability of tablets/laptops for those who don’t have them and special needs students where remote learning is not realistic.  It’s a strong system.  I believe they’ll rise to the occasion, but the uncertainty is difficult.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Have they no tasks for the students to do at all?  They should be able to assign tasks and send them in.   My daughter is in Kindergarten and she has tasks she is supposed to do each day.

No they don’t have any assignments.  They’ve given many links to worksheets and such, but they are not required to do them or turn anything in.  They are basically treating these days as snow days.

My daughter has special needs and she has a reading program that she’s on.  Last week, Monday through Wednesday, her teacher face-timed her and worked with her 1 on 1.  It was awesome!  Then she told us that she couldn’t continue or she’d get in trouble.  Not having structure for her is not ideal.  We’re doing things on our own to plan and guide her day which means my wife can’t get her hours in at work because she’s focusing on caring for the children.